New Michelin Anakee Wild Tire

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Disco Dean, Apr 8, 2013.

1. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as I know the Shinko 804/805 isn't available in sizes for the wethead GS.
  2. GettinDirty83

GettinDirty83 Dirt Trail Hero

Oddometer:
    True, they don't come in a 170/60 rear yet, but the front is available. From what I hear through the grapevine, is the 170/60 is coming soon!
  3. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    I have an Africa Twin. I've tried the Avon Trekrider, Shinko 804/805 and the Anakee Wild (front only).
    • Avon Trekrider - 15,000+ kilometres - really good 50/50 tire, longevity, really good road performance (feels like a sport touring tire until near the end of its life - howl), good gravel and dirt performance, if I was doing mostly pavement for a long trip I'd still choose these
    • Shinko 804/805 - unbelievably cheap - half the cost of the Anakee Wild and Avon Trekrider tires, surprisingly good road performance and decent gravel/dirt performance, some slip laterally with the tires - 7,000 kilometres and still going (sitting as a spare set in the garage with about 1/3 to almost 1/2 life left) - if I was looking for a cheap set of tires that had overall good characteristics I'd choose this one again
    • Anakee Wild (front) - over 8,000 kilometres and still going, no strange wear and still about 1/3 of its life left, IMO the best front tire I've had on any dual sport, excellent handling in gravel, dirt and even light trail, really good longevity, strong road manners and pushed much harder than I thought I could with a 50/50 other than the Avon Trekrider. I used this Wild in combination with a Mitas E12, which to date has been my favorite rear tire for a knobby - if I was looking for superior gravel and offroad performance over road manners and longevity I'd choose the Anakee Wild
    • TKC80 - used on my old KLR so not a direct comparison - to be honest, I was expecting the holy grail of tires and really felt in retrospect that these other tires are equal to the task, and the Michelin even better in most respects - of these four tires I'd have to say based on price, performance and longevity the TKC80 would be my last pick.
    I can't say why people experience such wild (pun intended) variation in longevity for tires. Warmer climates, different road surfaces and composition, amount of weight dangling from right hand on the throttle, luggage and extra weight. I always seem to be easier on tires than the average rider and seem to squeeze out greater longevity. Some of the tires posted in this thread had significant life left and were equalling or surpassing the mighty TKC80.

Frankly, there was more discussion of tire pressure and TPMS than the actual tires (maybe 7-8 actual accounts). The thread has sort of died off. It would be good to see more long-term or finished tires in the report rather than the 'I've just done 50 miles and they are great' types of posts. The long-term reports seem to indicate that the Anakee Wild does indeed have a longer life and benefits over the TKC80.

For my second cross-Canada trip this summer (2019), I will be using a Michelin Anakee Wild front coupled with a Mitas E07 Dakar rear. The Anakee Wild should get good front grip and handling for roads like the Trans-Labrador Highway and the parts of the Trans Canada Adventure Trail. It'll be my first try with the E07 on the back for grip/road manners and reports of decent to exceptional longevity for the back. Both tires will see a lot of pavement to connect from Alberta to Newfoundland and back and we'll see if they can both make the journey of roughly 10,000 or so kilometres.

4. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I came to the same conclusion about my choices of tires. Michelin Anakee Wild front and Mitas E07 rear is my favorite combo, great mileage (15k km) on both front and rear. If the front Anakee Wild is not available, I ordered a Mitas E10, feel similar but wear faster. The Mitas E07 is no longer available in size 150/70 17 so last time I bought the E07+ which I believe to be better on and off road but seem to wear faster, not sure if I can make it to 15k km but 10k km should not be a problem. Never tried Avon tires before but the Trekrider looks interesting but I always go back to Mitas, maybe I should stay with them LOL.

On my way back from Tuk last summer using Anakee wild on the front and E07 on the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RunninRanger, superfunkomatic and PRW like this.
  5. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    james.cain likes this.
  6. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanted to share my experiences with TKC80s, Anakee Wilds and Shinko 804/805.

TKC 80 Great tires. Quick break in Front tire follows pavement changes. Wear very quickly on tarmac. 4500 miles to wear point of 3/32nds on rear.

Wilds Slick until broken in. Ride in sand to scuff the release agent. Remarkably stable at speed (100mph +). Excellent tarmac traction. Excellent off-road. All around tire. Front tire is very loud. 5500 miles on rear.

Skinko 804/805 adventure radials. Release agent wears off quickly. Inspire TKC like confidence in traction. Best sand tire. (Paddle design rear) more lateral movement than either of the TKC or Wild. Wear 5800 miles to wear bars.

Conclusion for me is SHINKO. Biggest bang for the buck. Quiet. Very good road manners. Half the price of either TKC or Wilds. The advantages of either tire compared to Shinkos are not worth twice the price in my humble opinion.
  7. Grizzer65

Grizzer65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a brand new set of TKC 80s on my 2017 GSA and rode the Idaho BDR. Started and finished from my home North of Seattle. The front TKC starting bubbling at the knobbies all around the center. Tire was close to total failure. I rode the Utah BDR ik 2018 3000 total miles on Anakee wilds. Front looks great. I will probably replace the rear after riding down to Sandy Utah on the way to Colorado BDR. Happy with the wilds. Won't use TKCs again.
    RunninRanger, Benduro, PRW and 2 others like this.
  8. Jaws

Jaws Awesome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a TKC front that is doing that now. I wonder if it was a bad production run. I've used TKC's since 2012 without issues like this.
    max2 likes this.
  9. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last TKC did that, I think it may have something to do with heat and speed. The one I have on now is doing just fine though.
    Jaws likes this.
  10. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've a new set of Michelin Wilds waiting to do the MABDR in September or October. I had great luck with them on one little putt:
    [​IMG]

Dog, you'll know where this is. It's a ways from Palmer but I know you've been there.

Mike
    Muskyjerk and PRW like this.
  11. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoke to the distributor of the TKC80's here down under who offered me a free replacement. He said they became aware of about 4 out of every 100 tires showing this bubbling issue (circa 2017). I understood it has been addressed in 2018 but my tire was mounted in Germany mid 2018 and it had the new designed TKC pattern and still became a bubbler.
    Jaws likes this.
  12. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do, and the views are truly amazing!
    mikegc likes this.
  13. little foot

little foot seriously not serious Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why would you switch? If you like something it is your bike do whatever you want.
  14. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding blacktiger's comment, i agree.
    I had a 1200GS & now a 1250GS and i agree that the design from the front of the seat forward is a dogs breakfast of way too many parts with way too many angles, joins & shapes. I did not by the bike(s) for their looks that's for sure. Only an MT10 looks more cobbled together out of disparate parts.