New Motorcycle Road Hazards Map (please contribute)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by OzzyRider, Aug 15, 2020.

1. OzzyRider

OzzyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear Fellow Riders,

It'd be great if big map services such as Google Maps allowed users to report road hazards (other than accidents). But I found that only Waze allows hazard reporting, and it's limited to obstacles. Also, Waze is not great for motorcycle trip planning. So I decided to start my own project based on Google My Maps (i.e. not Google Maps). I'm sure many forum members are already using this service and know how good it is for trip planning. I've created a publicly shared Motorcycle Road Hazards map which allows anyone with the link and a Google account to easily add hazards (including photos if desired). I've added some information on how to add hazards in the map description. I've just made this map available today, so please don't expect to find much information there yet. However, given its potential and the fact that it might save lives, I am hoping that it will snowball and many riders will soon be using it regularly and contribute.

Thank you,

Tom
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  2. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea, but wonder about hoe effective it could be. Things like oil spills, gravel washouts, leaves on the road are so dynamic, it would be impossible to keep up with. Now maybe bigger things like landslides, major construction, washed out bridges, downed trees blocking FS roads...would be possible..
    Johann likes this.
  3. OzzyRider

OzzyRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Due to lack of interest and participation (except some spammers), I've deleted the this map.
  4. adrianninci

adrianninci Rutas off

Oddometer:
    Fue una buena idea.
    Mi experiencia personal de peligros en la ruta, han sido:
    Malos conductores + Caídas de rocas desde las laderas + Animales en la ruta + basura en la ruta, etc.
    La mayoría, muy dificil de registrar en un mapa y que siga teniendo vigencia con el correr de las horas, días o semanas.
    Gracias por la iniciativa, de todo modos.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    sometimes new, good ideas come slow to others hang on. Maybe this can be added to the different regional forms to make it more , local?
    How to get the road work or similiar icon on an active map would be next.?