New oil return line assembly.....

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Pyndon, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok so my oil return hose 60038061103 has perished and the Katoom spawned another anti-corrosion system by spewing oil all over the engine, in a controlled fashion of course so as to not leave me stranded :D

The pre-formed hose 60038061103 has now been superseded by 60038064000 which still returns oil to the tank but also links to the right hand side front rocker cover breather.

Weird....anybody know why they have done this? I'd like to know before just fitting the part, and not only that, the new part is way more expensive....like 52 quid :eek1

Cheers, Pyn
  2. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does seem odd, given that the oil tank is already vented to the rocker cover.

FWIW I used fuel hose (pressure rated 10 bar for FI systems) to replace the flexible oil lines on my 950. About £3 a metre, so somewhat cheaper than KTM's version :)
  3. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Look up a company called pirtek, they have franchises all over the UK they'll sort you out with some suitable hose at a fraction of the cost from KTM.
  4. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Shoulda stuck with the stock skidder. Its metal isn't hard enough to wear a hole into the oil line. :deal

:hide
  5. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yer numptly, it's the rubber oil return hose at the top of the oil tank!! :doh

:wave Ken

:D
  6. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    I did read some vague mention somewhere that a dealer in the UK was referring to this update as a recall/TSB....

Anyone know if there is a recent TSB to do with this?
    Where is CPModem when you need him? :ear
  7. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    :shog :zilla OOPs, Damb, I missed by a long shot.
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    A cursory search of the interwebs reveals that the new part is described as "T-Connector with Reduction Ring" but none of the online parts fiches have a picture of it. The part is used on the 2009 Superduke for example but the drawings just show the old style hose.
  9. claferal

claferal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason is that any bikes had problems with the oil tank. The oil enter was parcially blocked, so the return hose was disconnected to the tank by the overpressure
  10. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
  11. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the TSB says that if the tool cannot be inserted into the tank then the new oil tube kit with bypass has to be fitted.

I mean, my bike has done 60,000 miles so I think if the oil tank return tube was going to block from casting residue, it would have done so before now! My bike is definitely not called up on the list...me thinks.

Nevertheless, if would appear that when your return hose fails / cracks after 6 years of abuse, you have to fork out for the expensive new hose assembly as it supersedes the earlier one...crazy!

"Standard hoses may still be used on motorcycles that are not effected" - if you can get a new one.

Anyway, in short the new assembly just allows the oil an alternative route in the event of blockage of the return tube in the tank casting.

Pyn
  12. thugdog

thugdog Druid Revisionist

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, my recent order from http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ included that same odd hose, and i was sent the straight version...slightly larger diameter at one end compared to the other (i.e., not the "T" version).

You see, that weird little hose sometimes gets bent during various oil tank service / removal / loosening, so I just ordered one as a spare (for the spare), before my original hose someday eventually splits.

13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you should send your spare (for the spare) to Pyndon, insted of rubbing his nose in it. You know, chock it up to good karma or something.