New (old) rider in Burnaby BC.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BC-Bruce, Nov 26, 2006.

1. BC-Bruce

BC-Bruce Curmudgeon wanna-be

Oddometer:
    Well, as so many other greybeards seem to be doing, I dusted off my love of motorcycles and jumped back in.

After about a year of researching /planning / dreaming I picked up my new K6 DL1K yesterday.

I arrived at the bike shop to pick up my new toy at 11:30. It was 2:30 that afternoon before the last of the papers had been signed and I was out the door.

[​IMG]
    My new DL1000, waiting patiently.

Just as I was gearing up to go, I heard the already familiar sound of a V-Strom engine pull up, a 2005 Black DL1000. As I was pulling out, the rider called to me "Nice Bike!" Being the glib fool that I am, I responded with "It is!" and kept going.

Whoever you are, hello, thank you for the greeting, and sorry for the short response - you have a nice bike too, and I hope I'll run into you again.

So far, I have only two accessories for the bike, a center stand and heated grips. The heated grips came in handy as it was just starting to snow when I left the dealer. As I got closer to home (at a higher elevation) it snowed more. It's still snowing the next day, so doing more riding seems to be out for the immediate future.

[​IMG]
    (I know, you Alaska riders are laughing yourself silly... "You call that snow?")

Unfortunately, the ride home was the only ride I had, but the bike is already promising to be a great steed, and I look forward to many more rides and miles.
  2. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw your bike out at RMS on Sat. Nov 25. Nice Bike !!

I lead a Anti-Hibernation ride out into that area, then it started to snow.

You can't go wrong with the DL's, great bang for the bucks. I have owned
    both DL models and currently have the motor in my SV1000S. Just traded a DL650 in for a DRZ400S. I like the Suzuki priducts .

Have a blast !!
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! A couple of my friends just bought the 650 version, and a few otheres have the 1000.

Don't ride in this, those damn 1000's are too heavy to pick up!
  4. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:

Nice looking ride Bruce...and, it would look great with STUDDED tires...:deal :lol3

I have respect for any guy in the northern region to purchase a new bike in "winter". Be safe getting acclimated to the new steed and suspect you will want to get in on the 2007 Big Trailie Ride....Keep the pix comin.....:clap
  5. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the new bike! Now you get to spend your money on accessories! Thats always fun. Make sure you take a ride thru the kootenays next summer! Ride safe and enjoy.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, I saw that bike Saturday morning at RMS. Hope Mike treated you right. There were surprisingly many bikes out Saturday. Everyone was talking about this white shit coming down, so I guess a quick spin was in order.
    Ciao, Steve
  7. Mikimoto

Mikimoto Banned

Oddometer:
    Congratulations BCB!!!

Is that the bike dealership right at the entrance of Granville Isle?

It's snowing down here in North Bend WA, too - frustrating, eh?

Sure it is!!!

no worry, the sun is supposed to start shining again by tues/wed,
    and you'll be able to get at least a quick spin in!

miki
  8. BLADERUNNER

BLADERUNNER 0VR40

Oddometer:
    congrats on the bike BCB, you'll have a blast on that thing. you can't go wrong with RMS, they are a good bunch. myself, like SCOOTER is a suzuki fan, as i have two. a dl1000, and a drz400. one for every occasion,,lmao. was that you i saw heading nortbound on the queensborough bridge in the afternoon? heres a quick shot of my bike, as i too am a local. umm the bike is mine, the cute girl is not:evil
  9. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    First off, thanks to all of you for your good wishes. It's great to be a part of this great fraternity again.

Thanks, I've really enjoyed a lot of your threads and photographs... You do amazing work, and you live in a great environment to practice your craft!

A good buddy of mine (the best man at my wedding actually) was one of the HP2 riders in the 2006 Big Trailie adventure... It really sounded like a blast, and I'd love to do it this coming year. (Even just to do the Kettle Valley Railroad.)

I just have to learn to ride this thing off-road first! The only off-road riding I have done to date has been sweat powered.

The next thing on my "must buy" list is a pocket camera - I borrowed my wife's for the pics here.

That was mine... I was the guy pacing back and forth like an expectant father!

Thanks...

No, I got it from Richmond Motor Sports.

http://richmondmotorsport.nitrosites.net/home.php

The dealer at Granville Island is Carter Honda.

http://www.cartermotorsports.com/index.html

If Honda Canada had seen fit to import the Varadero here, I might have bought from there instead!

North Bend? I'm going down to Bellevue next month, but unfortunately I'll be leaving the Strom at home for that trip.

Thanks again for all your kind replies.

Take care and have fun!

- BCB
  10. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I was looking at the DRZ400SM while I was waiting. If I was doing a lot of in-town riding, that would have been my weapon of choice!

If it was around 2:40, it probably was... Sorry I missed seeing you.

:D
  11. pee wee

pee wee Reformed Squid !!

Oddometer:
    Cool bikes thats fer sure.....I took one of these bad boys out last night, and rode it in the Snow this morning here in Victoria....man did I get some weird looks LOL
    Gotta love the Demo bikes eh?? Aprilia Sxv 450

Attached Files:

12. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Great pic Roger of Janeese. You must show her how to properly get on an Adventure Bike.
  13. Circsaws

Circsaws DRZ400 S -->SM

Oddometer:
    Nice bike but you picked the wrong size. I may be looking for a new ride this winter if ICBC ever gets back to me on whether my DL650 is a write off or not. I'm leaning towards the Husky 610 SM as a replacement but you never know what will catch your eye. You'll enjoy your ride even more as you start farkelling it up.:clap
  14. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    Hi BCB,
    And welcome back to the motorcycling fraternity.:clap
    DL1000's are great all-round bikes and I'm sure that you'll have a great time on it.
    It looks like you picked it up just in time; I think you guys got more snow than we did in Calgary this weekend!:eek1
    From the TV coverage, it looked like it was complete chaos out there.
  15. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's good to be back!

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat... I'd be grinning wider if I could just ride it!

The morning show people on the radio were reading the weather report and making jokes about "Are you sure this isn't the Winnipeg forecast?"

It's very unusual to get weather like this, so that just adds to the chaos on the roads.

I was surprised, most of the drivers today actually modifed their driving habits to reflect the conditions. That surprised me! The only drivers I saw not being cautious were the bright shiny 4x4s that had to have the add-on "laws of physics dont apply to me" package!

- BCB
  16. teamgrizzly

teamgrizzly Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer:
    Cool choice for a ride BCB. Too bad the snow hit. You really lucked out. I had to go to Richmond for my company's christmas party and it was nasty out arounf 5pm Sat. I bet you're itching to try the new toy out too. :) (All the poor guy can do is sit on it in his garage and make motorcycle noises. There's about 30cm of the white stuff on the ground in Surrey.)

I'm looking at getting a 07 wee-strom in the spring. :clap

Mike
  17. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    :roflMan, that's funny that package is really popular around here as well!
    I would say that at least 75% of the vehicles in the ditches here are SUV's.

I have a bunch of relatives in and around White Rock, and they say that if it snows, they just stay at home that day.
    Mind you, some of those hills are pretty steep.:eek1
    My cousin dropped her bike on Oxford Street (I think that's what it's called) before they put the mini-roundabouts in.
    It slid for a few blocks before stopping, and that was in the summer!:lol3
  18. BC-Bruce

Oddometer:
    And last year (I think it was last year?) they had the flash flood...

That would be a cringer!

I've got a bunch of relatives out your way too, but none of them ride.

It looks like you are having better weather out your way - I hope you are enjoying it!

- BCB.