New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg First day done, so happy. Great turn out at the MUNDARING Weir. Great to see all the bikes and riders. In Southern Cross now. image.jpeg
    Mungo likes this.
  2. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Using a 16 tooth sprocket, finding it just great. The 16 gives Winnie more for the hills with out changing gears, a little spare for cruising and seems to cruise better generally. Will do a few fuel range checks as the ride continues.
  3. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer:
    Continued best wishes, Beet!

My, how nice warm weather looks. :thumb
  4. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Beet, I am trying to make a donation but the site says my e-mail is invalid. Have sent a note seeking guidance.

Best of luck to you and everyone! :beer
  5. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Nite at Southern Cross
    kaput13 and Mista Vern like this.
  6. BeezaJohn

BeezaJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Beeza!
  8. JerryH

JerryH internal combustion rider

Oddometer:
    Back in 2013 I bought a new Royal Enfield B5 Bullet. I rode it stock for a couple of years, then put the shorter non catcon pipe on it, and replaced the EFI with an Amal Concentric Mk1 with a kit from Hitchcocks in the UK. It runs and sounds a lot better than it did stock. I recently went passed 10,000 miles on it. They are definitely not high quality bikes, the RE forum is just full of nightmares, from broken engines to broken frames and everything in between. I never ride mine above an indicated 60 mph, and usually at 55 mph, which seems to be it's sweet spot. It doesn't seem overstressed, and you can hear that wonderful thumping sound and feel the relaxing low frequency vibration. It has had it's share of mostly minor problems, on the day I brought it home the rear tire chewed through the wiring harness to the tail, brake, and rear turn signal lights. The header nuts refused to stay tight. The lights all burned out and the speedometer cable broke. But the biggest problem so far is the rear brake failed. It locked up solid. Fortunately I was going slow, and didn't crash. It had been making a scraping noise since I got it, but I rarely used it. I took it apart and found all the lining material had been ground off the ends of both shoes, and that the radius of both shoes was considerably larger than the inside of the drum. Right now I am riding it (out in the country) with no rear brake. I have no idea where to get shoes with the proper radius. I can order some new ones, but they could be the same as the old ones. Nobody else on the RE forum seems to have found this problem, but I can't be the only one with it. Ride these things slow, and do LOTS of maintenance, and they should last for quite some time. Definitely do not treat them like a modern bike. My guess is that the 1950s made British made Enfields were better quality than the new ones.

Many dealers went out of business. My nearest dealer is now three states away. Fortunately Hitchcocks has most of the parts, if you don't mind paying shipping from the UK. Royal Enfield 006.JPG
    Mista Vern likes this.
  9. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Scraping noise in the rear brake since day one ? Man I can't wrap my head around it so I gotta ask, why did you accept the bike in the first place and why didn't you get it fixed under warranty ?
  10. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Oh bliss, a rare dry day in NW Oregon so taking advantage of it and going for a ride! :clap 46 degrees and a dry day just can't go wasted!
    kaput13 likes this.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I never rode the bike before I bought it. And I bought it from a dealer 120 miles away (closest one) For a really small fee they delivered it to me. Given the poor quality of a Royal Enfield, and the long break in required, I was not about to ride a new one on the highway for 120 miles. It took me over 2 months to break it in. I never paid that much attention to the rear brake. I was told on the RE forum not to expect much out of it. Even the front disc is VERY poor. It's usable, but an Enfield has to be ridden like a '50s British bike. It's not only a 60+ year old design, but it is made in India, which is kind of like China. It was not a really loud noise, and as I racked up the miles, it began to go away. I had almost 10,000 miles on it when the brake locked up. Several other members on the RE forum have had rear brakes lock up, but it is usually because the bolt that holds the backing plate to the swing arm came loose, allowing the plate to rotate just far enough to lock it up. So far I haven't heard of any serious crashes. And less than 3 months after I bought it, the dealer quit selling Enfields. They were primarily a scooter dealer. A couple of months ago, they went completely out of business.

Taking it back to the dealer would have been an issue even right after I bought it. I couldn't ride it there until it was broken in, and even then I wouldn't have had to leave it, meaning I would have needed a ride home, and another ride to go pick it up. And the consensus on the forum was that it was not a big deal, that you just have to get used to riding an Enfield after riding modern bikes. It's not a huge deal since I didn't crash and neither me or the bike was damaged. I sent a PM to the guy that used to be the Royal Enfield importer (the company is a huge mess in the U.S. now, they got rid of their importer, and lost most of their dealers) and he suggested just replacing the rear brake shoes, and if they didn't fit, he would make sure to get me some that would. The bike is almost 5 years old now. Considering some of the horror stories I've heard, I consider myself lucky. I knew about the poor quality. 25 years ago I had a 1966 Triumph Bonneville, and sold it. I decided I wanted another, but could not afford one in decent condition. They now cost several times what I paid for that one. In fact I couldn't find any vintage British bike in decent condition that I could afford, so I bought the Enfield as a cheap substitute. MSRP was only $4999. They had recently dropped their prices $1000.
  12. Caesars_ghost

Caesars_ghost Air Cooled.

Oddometer:
    If Kevin said he'll find you a brake shoe that fits, he will do it. CMW always provided top notch service, and still do so today at their new operation in Texas. Give Baker Motorsports a call and explain your predicament and they will find parts that work. Don't assume your bike must be junk just because there are some bad stories on a forum.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your woe and misery. Sounds like you got hosed by a sketchy shiester who set the bike up wrong. Might explain why they got dropped or folded. Mrs. Mudds EFI unit Enfield has been nothing but a joy since day one. I wish you would have rented a U-Haul for the day and took the bike back and held them to task so you could've had the same experience as us.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  14. MotoGB

MotoGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jerry's tale has been repeated many times on a certain Royal Enfield forum but although there has been some issues with the rear brake locking up, he's the only one I know of who removed the brake completely! And considering Enfield are churning out half a million bikes each year , if this is a common fault they would have had to issue a safety recall and fix the problem a long time ago.

Although I can't comment on the front disc of the B4/5 bikes, the one on my GT was very effective and the new 2018 bikes will have disc brakes front and back. It's accurate to say the quality isn't up to the standards we expect from most modern bikes, but they are mostly reliable bikes that just might need checking over more often, and not thrashed like you could with a Honda etc.
  15. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    A rare bit of good weather had me out and riding yesterday. The front brake on my bike (2014 model) is pretty darn good. As to the rear brake - let's just say I don't have to worry about locking it up. :lol3
  16. Caesars_ghost

Caesars_ghost Air Cooled.

Oddometer:
    Pics man, those 535 GTs are gorgeous. How was your experience with the bike overall?
  17. MotoGB

MotoGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've recently traded the GT in but here's one of the dealer pictures of it:

[​IMG]

I sold the bike with almost 8000 miles on it and it was completely trouble free apart from what I can only assume was damp affecting the digital LCD odometer.

Each winter it used to change from miles to kilometres and sometimes would be stuck on Trip A or B until it would return to normal once the warmer weather arrived in the spring.

The quality of the parts such as the switchgear doesn't have the quality feel of modern bikes, but I had no trouble with any aspect of the bike other than the odometer. It handled and sounded great with the RE sports exhaust and had huge amounts of character which I think the new 650 twins will be hard pressed to come close to.

I'll no doubt miss it but it had to go due to changes in my personal circumstances.
    Webman, MotoChuck250, JerryH and 2 others like this.
  18. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The GTs are beautiful bikes, but I can't handle the riding position without pain. They are completely different from the rest, they have a completely new double cradle frame, better suspension, wheels and brakes.

I haven't really had a bad experience with the Enfield considering what it is. I do have over 10,000 miles on it. The brake will be fixed. Then it will be a matter of whether to trust it or not. The other issues were minor, and I was able to deal with them. I repaired the wiring harness and rerouted it above the fender, under the seat, away from the wheel. I replaced all the bulbs with American bulbs. I replaced and lubed the speedometer cable and it has been fine since. I replaced the chain after the wheel locked up. I replaced the cheap oem battery with a Motobatt sealed battery. I replaced the prone to breaking battery cables with some I fabricated myself. The header nuts were a little more difficult. They get too hot for locktite to work. I finally switched to bolts, and drilled and safety wired the heads. That fixed the problem. The front brake is not any worse than I remember the Triumph being, though that was a drum. And I could do stoppies all day long on a Honda 250 Nighthawk with a front drum. Not going to happen with the Enfield. You have to adopt a slightly different riding style when riding an Enfield than with a modern bike. It's not retro, it's the real thing.

First couple of oil changes I found what looked like pieces of string in the oil. I was told that the factory sometimes leaves shop rags inside the engine during assembly. I use Mobil1 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil in it, and change it every 1000 miles. Seems a bit excessive, but this is not a modern bike, and I want it to last as long as possible. It's probably the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I rarely ride it more than 100 miles from home, the towing limit on my road service plan, unless I have made prior arrangements for someone to come and get me if it breaks down.

As I've said many times on the other forum, I wish the Japanese would build an Enfield. Not a bike that resembles it, but an EXACT copy, only using quality materials and modern manufacturing techniques. It would be just as fun to ride, would not break down, and should last forever. The Japanese seem to have a problem with long stroke engines. If Yamaha had made the SR400 a 500, and given it the same bore and stroke as the Enfield, it should sound and feel the same.

Shortly after getting it, I put British flag stickers on the sidecovers. Just happened to find some that fit perfectly. I'm still planning to get one of those old style British license plates that go on the front fender RE Flag 001.JPG
    Mista Vern likes this.
  19. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Good on you for hanging in there, JerryH. :thumb
  20. BeezaJohn

BeezaJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see Beetle and Winnie are still going strong over 4,000km in 12 days.
    The PAM riders have a couple of tough days ahead of them temperature today and tomorrow over 40 degrees.

Winnie gets a service.
    20180105 1.jpg
    Mista Vern and Gazman like this.