New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Photo must be flipped; chain on the wrong side. :lol3

Lots of hand-wringing on FB, etc about riding during the virus. "What if you go down?" I've got three bikes, the Bullet is the only one that runs right now (how about dat nonsense?!). I figure any crash I have pottering around on Emma isn't going to require a hospital stay. Very few cagers on the roads I travel these days.
    Webman, Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  2. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there is zero traffic on backcountry roads here. The oddest thing to watch out for in this very wet and dank part of the world is moss growing on the tarmac - deadly slippery stuff.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  3. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Where is everyone?
    Fixed a sticking front brake cam and replaced the clutch springs with ones that actually keep the plates in contact with each other. :D
    Also replaced the ugly and vapor-leaking locking fuel cap with a twist on round conversion from Hitchcocks.
    Then rode for almost 2 hours yesterday listening to happy valves and staccato exhaust.
  4. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Truth is stranger than fiction.
    I shared my revival of Emma in a group of rider friends from around the country. A guy I've never met but feel like I know from chatting with him for years had done a ride in India some years ago on Bullets. He was so taken with them bought a 'local' one and then shipped it to the US. It's been turned into a cafe racer and part of that is the rearsets which apparently have since failed to work and left him stranded once. My friend Bob cannot be trusted with spanners and so the bike has sat as a piece of art since.
    So impressed with my work on Emma by following along he has decided I'm just the guy to fix it and sell it for him. Except he lives in Texas and I'm in Pennsylvania. So Bob is having it shipped to me!
    [​IMG]
    (Facebook link so it will break and be dead shortly; sorry to those who tune in later)
    Only downside is it's a 350 so will probably be a hard sell. Should arrive this weekend. Doesn't sound like I'll have much to do to get her running as he drained the fuel before storing it. If I can get the linkage to work and figure out a 'clutch problem' it should be riding in short order. I'm eager to have a go on a 350 to compare.
    And if anyone is looking for a lovely piece of art you can also ride PM me as I've no intention of keeping it for myself.
  5. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    zookster, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  6. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Pretty damn cool, and I'm subscribed!
  7. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How are the pre unit engines holding up vs the unit construction engines? I have a person looking for a first street bikes and am wondering if they would be good for that? I have a unit construction 2015 and have had no issues what so ever. Thanks.
  8. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Last Thursday I pulled my 2014 out of a dusty corner where it had sat for about a year since I last rode it in a funeral procession, and it started right up on old gas. Rode down to the corner filled it up and rode about 70 miles without a single hiccup.

Late model EFI bikes are available at very reasonable prices, It would have to be in real good shape and real cheap before I would buy an older model to ride. Tinker with? OK. First bike, intending to ride? Get a late Model.

9. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    I love the looks of the older models with all the oil lines and castings and such. If I find a really cheap one to tinker with I may buy it just to mess around with. But yeah, the newer the better as far as I am concerned.
    Beet and Webman like this.
  10. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Iron barrels are not just rustic looking. They ride like something from 1955.
    And that's not a bad thing if you like that sort of thing.
    But a UCE will give you a near-same experience without all the fiddling with valve lash, oil leaks and drum brakes with parallelograms for linkage.
    I have two other modern bikes to ride so I love my IB. But I also don't stray too far from home on it.
    Ride along!
    Mista Vern, Webman and zookster like this.
  11. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    The cafe racer:
    If this bike were mine I'd ditch the low bars and the rearsets instantly. I just don't dig the downward dog posture. But none of the stock parts came with it and the seat and tank would probably look silly with the rest of the bike being standard. Plus, having now followed along on the original build it would almost be sacrilege to alter it.
    After sitting on it (and making vroom-vroom sounds) the posture isn't that bad.
    So, the linkage. The whole arrangement was hand 'crafted' in that little shop in India. And while it's creative it does suffer from being a bit crude. However the actual problem with it I suspect is the sharply bent peg on the right rear.
    [​IMG]
    It's tilted the entire works inboard and now the rod is pressed against the big nut on the trans case.
    [​IMG]
    I've take the assembly off and the rear peg is actually a heavily altered rear foot rest arm. Which means very thick metal. The only way I can see to straighten it is to heat it up cherry red and then tweak it. To get it that hot I need to remove the rubber foot rest. Since I'd like to re-use it the next challenge is getting it off because it isn't budging.
    The gas tank is blissfully clean. The throttle won't move though. The carb is a 'Pacco' which is sort of a copy of the original Mikarb which isn't necessarily a good thing. But, we'll try working with what we have first.
    zookster, Mista Vern and Webman like this.
  12. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Videos, because they won't get nuked like FB linked photos.
    zookster and Mista Vern like this.
  13. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video! :thumb
  14. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Shift linkage fixified.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carb is soaking. Hopefully won't cause problems when back together. Increased the air in the tires from 15psi :lol2, filled the nearly empty oil (may have been drained for storage), checked the primary (yup, oil in there), adjusted the way-out rear brake. Exhaust valve clearance is a little rattly so I'll adjust that. Have to pick up a plug, fuel line and a battery that doesn't look like a science project inside. Mileage confirmed correct at 183! Owner thinks that peg got bent when it was transported to a show once. May try to fire it this weekend.
    zookster, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  15. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I was hoping that something bent the foot peg and linkage, and that someone didn't actually fabricate it that badly.
  16. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Got my letter from the RE Owner's Club. Bike was actually built 8/73.
    zookster and Webman like this.
  17. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Good to know! You gonna check out wheel bearings and such to see if the grease is still good?
  18. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    183 miles...I'm not worried about the bearings. :johntm
    Me bumbling through the latest video:
    Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  19. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Well, it runs. Sounds really good in fact. Video coming.
    [​IMG]
    Portrait photo because wife holding camera. :bluduh
    But there is a problem. A problem that has my vexed. The clutch doesn't disengage fully. I tried adjusting the cable. I took the basket apart and made sure the plates weren't stuck together. I adjusted the fiddly preset on the transmission side, had the cover off and made sure the linkage was all in place. I can pull the handle and can see things in the basket move but not enough for the thing to go into gear without a huge racket of teeth trying to mesh. It simply doesn't look like the plates are being released far enough.

The owner told me the clutch quit working which is why he parked it. I thought it was because of the bent linkage, but no. So whatever it was happened suddenly. Clutch parts all look new as would befit a bike with only 183 miles on it. Must admit I'm kind of stuck and hope the smarter-than-I folks on the RE message boards point me in the right direction.
    Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  20. paul martin

paul martin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Need to get inside and see what else may have been damaged/displaced when the lever got bent, ie rods etc?