New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Is it possible that the speedo was set back to zero at the time of the rebuild? The transmission might have many miles on it and the reason it was for sale at the time of the rebuild.

It looked kinda rough when Chanderjeet purchased it in 2009.

[​IMG]
    Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  2. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Holy shite!
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Odometer certainly replaced during rebuild.
    I get about 1/16" movement of the release pushrod on the clutch side. Doesn't seem like enough to me. I took the basket apart and went through everything again and filed some rough edges on things. That amount of travel just doesn't seem right to me. I'd look at mine but really don't want to drain the primary AGAIN and mine is also a 5 speed so not sure how much different it would be.
    The guts are probably 90% new parts.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  4. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Well, that is certainly strange. I don't know that bike but have had a lot of them over the years and 1/16 of an inch doesn't seem right at all. Is it possible there is wear on a pivot point or something and that is creating enough movement in a mechanism to affect clutch throw?
  5. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Enfield boxes, but most of the old Brit boxes have a ball bearing at one or both ends of the clutch rod. Fairly common for them to be missed out when the rod is re-installed and it causes exactly what you are describing.
    Eatmore Mudd, Mista Vern and Beet like this.
  6. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Widened my Road trials outfit so I can use it for general road use - camping etc. D504C237-1F26-43BC-AAA0-28CC1CE4E080.jpeg 050F144A-5080-432F-BD01-8C88BC3234B3.jpeg
    The grandkids love it, as do I.
    robtg, zookster, Eatmore Mudd and 3 others like this.
  7. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Well, I took it all apart AGAIN last night trying to figure it out. There is a ball at the pivot/cable end of course. Unlike the newer (post-1998) models this one has one long 10" release rod that goes through to the 'release' rod at the clutch end. Parts diagram shows no ball bearings. Yes, later models do have the little balls but also use two 5" rods with the ball between them.

If it had been put together and never worked that would be one thing but it was ridden without problem for 183 miles which is what has me stumped. Should be a clear 'failure' of something. I took this pic of the trans end; this is the amount of rod poking out when the clutch side is together:
    [​IMG]
    To me that doesn't look like enough travel. Additionally it feels like it 'bottoms out' when the handle is pulled. My 5 speed (yes, different I know) doesn't feel like it hits a stop when you pull the lever.
    zookster and Mista Vern like this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    The clutch push rod is two piece with a single ball bearing in between the two pieces. If it ain't there the push rod total length is going to be short......
    Mista Vern likes this.
  9. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you look up Hitchcocks you’ll find a “bearing roller” to fit end of push rod that may solve the issue. All the best
    Mista Vern likes this.
  10. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    @Eatmore Mudd you are right...if it is built after 1998. Prior to that there was one long rod, not two short, and no ball bearing.
    I tried adding a ball bearing today but it made everything too long and I could no longer thread on the adjuster at the transmission end.
    I toyed with it some more afterward. If I pull the clutch lever I can see the plates move. But...if I kick the engine over (clutch pulled, ignition off) I can feel and hear drag from the clutch assembly. When I do the same thing to mine (granted, a 5 speed so a bit different but only on the trans side) it spins completely free.
    From this I know the clutch is not fully disengaged.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

I think you are going to have to open the gear box to see if something is broke, missing, or in the wrong place.

13. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Why would the problem be in the gearbox?
  14. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    I still think there must be some flex or some mechanism that is eating up the clutch throw. Maybe try attaching a vise grip or pliers to the end of the cable near the clutch and give a pull on the lever. In theory the cable shouldn't move at all. If you can move the lever a fair bit, then something is wonky in the cable.

Then try and pry the clutch mechanism by had or with a wrench to see if the clutch disengages without the cable. (old BMW airhead trick)

Some way you should be able to isolate the problem to one area.

Forgive me if I wrote the obvious - it's just that this should not be too big a mystery.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    If you want to PM me an email address I can send you all the Enfield tech stuff I've collected. Might help.
  16. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Mista Vern likes this.
  17. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I feel like the stupidest guy in the room right now. And I'm no dummy. It has to be something simple.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  18. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video - very high quality. :thumb And good luck!
  19. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I think I found the problem.
    [​IMG]
    This is a straight edge across the face of the center metal clutch plate. It's supposed to be flat. The whole thing is shaped like a cymbal from a drum set, not just bent/warped in one spot which is why I didn't see it earlier. A new one is $5 from Hitchcocks, LOL. I'll report again after it arrives.
    zookster, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  20. Mista Vern

Oddometer: