New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh, I don't know. In post 1299 you seemed indecisive about the clutch assembly being right, wrong, incomplete, you spoke of the gear box not engaging without noise, and the idea that what ever happened, happened suddenly. I thought there might be a chance a gear, spacer, washer, bearing or some component in the gearbox might have failed.
    Seems unusual for the clutch plate to take the shape of a cymbal, but whatever the case, I hope you have identified the problem and looking forward to you getting it back on the road in riding condition.

Mista Vern likes this.
  2. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    2F9EE59E-E36A-4A21-B489-C99217D13753.jpeg Put a screen on today. The idea is the Sidecar will be just a carry box. Canvas clip on cover could be next.
  3. Trotski

Trotski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3000k oil change done, ready to go again. 20200606_165124.jpg
  4. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    New clutch plate installed. Still can't get any gears.

:becca
    Mista Vern likes this.
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
  6. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I'm getting closer to the answer but it is still elusive.
    When the clutch lever is pulled about 1/3 of the 'pressure plate' barely moves while the other 2/3 works as it should. When you look at how the clutch is designed this makes NO sense whatsoever. The plate itself moves freely and doesn't hang up on anything which means the problem lies deeper in the clutch or in the basket itself. Currently I'm trying to figure out if it is the clutch components or the basket. I'm going to pull the clutch parts out and rotate them and see if the problem moves. If it does, something in the clutch parts is the problem. If it doesn't, the basket has an issue.
    zookster and Mista Vern like this.
  7. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Just curious. This link shows a "dished" clutch plate in position 15, Could that be the same as the one you described as cymbal shaped?

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/1095

8. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    No, the one I replaced was #14. In my next video I'll show just how badly distorted it was. I checked the other two with the dish and they are okay.
  9. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    What I did today was find which 'third' of the assembly wasn't releasing fully and marked it. I then removed the clutch parts keeping care that they remained all oriented as I found them, then rotated 180 degrees and installed them back. The same 'third' of the assembly (as marked on the basket which did not move) remained the same. From this I can deduce that the problem is not in the clutch parts themselves.

I then kicked the bike and moved the basket in total 180 degrees. The problem area moved with it. So back to the diagram:
    https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook-pages/569
    This means the problem lies in either #1 (clutch center piece with the 3 posts for the spring screws) or #2 (clutch drum the clutch rotates in). These of course attach to the output shaft of the transmission but I have a real hard time believing that could be the problem as you'd expect to see the whole works wobble when it rotates which it doesn't so far as I can see or measure.
    I had these parts out previously and inspected them but saw nothing amiss.
    Unfortunately the 3 disc clutch parts are unique to the 350 so I can't try 500 parts.
  10. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Is it time for an exorcism?

That whole thing is really weird - it's not like there are that many parts/options/places where things could go wrong, yet it remains a mystery. Could one of the springs not be like the other as far as tension? Just spit-balling, as I am flummoxed.
    Webman likes this.
  11. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I have yet another new theory. Stay tuned.

(based on my theories thus far expect little)
    Mista Vern likes this.
  12. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Just thinking out loud.

Don't know if it means anything or not, but, ..... the parts page I linked is 1961 350, the parts page you linked is 1991 and newer. You're working on a mid 70's bike.

Is it possible there is a mix of components, wrong or maybe unnecessary parts installed?

Of course that would not explain a "sudden" failure.

Mista Vern likes this.
  13. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    The parts seem to fall more in the 1990s category. There are some pretty substantial differences between the Redditch Bullets and the India ones. Redditch ones continued to evolve while the India ones stayed in 1955. Which seems backwards, I know.

Latest chapter in the debacle:
  14. thadf

thadf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy cow! You’re exhibiting the patience of Job

Cool stuff
    Mista Vern likes this.
  15. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Must be old age. :lol2 As a younger lad I did NOT have patience working on problems like this. Tools got thrown and things got bashed irreparably with hammers. I've had to teach myself patience and the most useful tactic of all: walking away from something.

A few bonuses with this one are that there is no time schedule to get it done, it's not my bike (well, sort of) and I'm not charging by the hour. If I were charging I'd own this thing by default. :lol3
    msahern5, Eatmore Mudd, thadf and 2 others like this.
  16. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    You certainly produce quality videos, so you have that going for you!
    Eatmore Mudd and Webman like this.
  17. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    :ear

Is it fixed yet?
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. thadf

thadf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came looking for this too.

Curious.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Parts arrived a couple days ago. I finally had time to fit them last night. Still no love.
    I'm utterly baffled at this point.
    Clutch plates release cockeyed. If I spin the entire assembly with the kicker and try it again the tight spot moves.

I took everything off and installed just the center hub on the trans output shaft and spun it. I could detect no wobble.

I took the release rod (the short one with the flat head) out and put it in my drill press and spun it. Perfectly straight.

I removed the long release rod and rolled it across the floor and it has no wobble.
  20. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Seems like you've checked all the clutch parts. Two Questions.

Is it possible that the clutch sprocket / basket and plates are not compatible?

Are you certain you have the right springs in the right order of assembly?

Well three questions.

Will the transmission shift through the gears when not running, sitting still? (You may have to rock the bike back and forth.)

Mista Vern likes this.