New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a long bolt that runs through the frame and engine under the gearbox.

The nuts on it used to come loose on mine back in the day. To the extent I carried spares. I did thrash it a lot though.

It will let you know by starting to feel queasy in corners.

Presumably LocTite solves the problem now, or Nyloc nuts.

Original front brakes weren't a patch on the better drums of their day.

Loved the engine.
    Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    This week's update:

:bluduh
    Backlund, zookster and Mista Vern like this.
  3. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
  4. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Tonight's update: :rayof

Granted, still just on the center stand. Proper test tomorrow, weather permitting.
  5. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to see this thing going down the road!!!
  6. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Fixt.
    Now it has decided it won't stay running/be a PITA to start. :becca I suspect dirt in the carb despite the inline filter. It ran long enough to go into a gear and move a few inches but then the gear disappeared. Don't know what's up with that yet. I have massage therapy for my back tonight so probably won't touch it until at least tomorrow. I'm sure kicking the thing 40 times last night didn't help any.

It's astounding that I can take one that arrives with half the engine in a box (mine) and get it running with very little drama but this restored example has been nothing but a total PITA the entire time. I really can't point blame on the restoration though working around the modifications (rearsets, dropped bars) has been a detriment. doG only knows what evil lurks in that Interceptor I'm buying.
  8. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    So what turned out to be the fix? Inquiring minds want to know!!
  9. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Please define "then the gear disappeared" and any noise, or lack thereof, as it disappeared.

I'm so ready for you to solve this mysterious malady.
    Mista Vern and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Back when pre unit Enfield's had 4 speed transmissions we joked " Royal Enfields come with an extra neutral between every gear..for free ! ".

False neutrals were a thing. A little tuning of shift linkage and neutral finder was 90% of the cure and deliberate shifting took it too 100%

Those Albion gear boxes are quaint by today's standards but they are tough as anvils and outlast the rest of the bike.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  11. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Ok, keep in mind the bike moved inches, if that because of the shit running.
    It didn't 'thunk' into first like most bikes. I wasn't even sure I'd found a gear but let the clutch out and it moved! I probably pulled the clutch in again because it sputtered or otherwise decided to be a PITA and when I let the clutch out again I was in neutral. Thus ends the entirety of my experiment with clutch/gears.

Because of the (stupid) rearset linkage the bike no longer has the neutral finder. Well, on the outside anyway. The guts are still there and I can turn a bolt on the outside to use it.

As I've never ridden a functioning Albion equipped bike I don't know what anything is supposed to feel like. I had to write a sticky note for the speedo to remind me where first gear actually resides!

I'm holding off on announcing the clutch truly fixed until the thing moves more than two inches. I'm pretty sore today but may try cleaning the carb to see if that solves the craptastic running. I also stuck a new plug in it which it needed before any of this work started.
  12. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    May the Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with Its noodly appendage(s). :thumb
    ddavidv and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I did manage to ride it up and down the road twice today. Barely.
    The clutch works. :clap Gear selection is another thing entirely.
    Cleaning the carb out seemed to have cured (mostly) the running issue. The bowl wasn't spotless but it also didn't have crud floating in it. I'm hopeful that just running some fuel through it will make it healthy.

So, the gear selection. First just isn't there unless I use my hand on the shifter, rock the bike and pray to the FSM. Shifting to second usually gets me neutral; hit it again and I get second. Downshifting from any gear is next to impossible.
    I've read the Snidal manual and am not yet sure what to tinker with. I did pull out the pointy-detent-thing and looked inside. To my eye it doesn't appear the detents are where they should be. That was as far as I got before the wife came home and I got pulled elsewhere for the evening.

Well, the one problem is solved but now there is another. I'm uncertain if this was actually part of the original problem or something I screwed up digging in as deep as I was.
    zookster, Mista Vern and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    :clap :beer
    Mista Vern likes this.
  15. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking out loud again.

IF, and that's a big if, If the bent shaft was the culprit that caused the clutch to fail to release sufficiently to engage the gearbox, or, the bent shaft was enough to prevent the smooth mesh of gears, and now with straightened shaft the gear box will engage without grinding, but fails to properly shift through the gears, is it safe, or proper, to assume something amis in the gear box might have caused a jam or misalignment of gears that bent the shaft in the first place.

Does any person, in the chain of possession, know exactly what happened at the time of failure. Was the moto being ridden, did it fail while trying to shift, did it fail while trying to engage first gear from a stop, or did it seem to fail while sitting still in the garage?

Were you able to find a printed, exploded view of the trans internals that fairly represented all the pcs in their proper order of assembly? Could it be as simple as a missing, or misplaced, shim or washer causing a misalignment of moving parts? Are there multiple thickness of shims that might adjust for variations of tolerance in case or component wear? Is it possible to assemble the trans on the bench and make sure it shifts properly before installing it back in the moto?

Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  16. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Great ideas, Center-stand! David, congrats at getting this far and seeing some progress! :beer
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  17. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woooohoooooo!!!!!

You’re getting it ddavid!!! Congrats on the clutch shaft thingy.

Good vibes for finding the shift thingy now
  18. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Woke up, thought some reading might help me go back to sleep.

Did you use the technical notes from Hitchcock site?

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/information-and-services/Technical-Notes

Just reading through it seems to ba a fairly complex procedure to disassemble, reassemble, adjust the trans /shift / clutch mechanism.

It seems that you started off with an assembly that was not correct which makes every component suspect. At this point looks like you are down to gear selector / shift mechanism which in a sense are the most critical components. The problem is to determine if failure to properly shift gears is missing parts, worn or damaged components, parts installed incorrectly, or just parts out of adjustment.

Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Mista Vern likes this.
  19. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    I've become intimate with the exploded views of the transmission. :D I no longer fear the Albion gearbox internals. The shifting mechanism, OTOH...
    This weekend I'll stare, poke, tinker, read, stare some more, fiddle with levers and cams, stare...that's typically how I solve these things.
    I described the horrible shifting to the owner and he said (and I quote) "That's exactly how it was for me".
    So yes, I think this was the original problem.
    Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  20. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    David, keep in mind that it is the year 2020, so problem riddled at its core. :lol3