New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:

I got the shifting to work though it's absolute crap. Rode it about 6 miles. I wish I knew what the trans should shift like. I'm certain it can't be this awful but I don't know if it's a transmission adjustment issue or the homemade rearset linkage.
    zookster, thadf, Eatmore Mudd and 2 others like this.
  2. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Again, really nice job regarding the video - easy to see and understand to what you are relating. :thumb

So far, this thread has been my summer's entertainment, so looking forward to future posts! :beer
    Eatmore Mudd and Webman like this.
  3. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Albion four speed shiftings aren't precise and they don't snick or click like a Honda. They were originally designed as right hand shift. The left foot shiftier is a mousetrap of linkages added on by the factory for import requirements. The mousetrap takes the shifting from archaic to downright primitive. The shifters move like a hinge on a livestock gate and give about the same feedback. The design of the Albion four speed is mid 1940's old but it is king of durability, serviceability, toughness and longevity.

Back to add this :-)

[​IMG]
    Ozarkroadrunner and Mista Vern like this.
  4. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    This is right side shift, thankfully. But the extended linkage with junctions that are anything but precise is likely exacerbating an already mushy gear change.
    #57 in the diagram is the key; it has to be set correctly for #66 to engage properly. That is why I had virtually no gears originally.
    I think I'll let the next owner deal with it. If it were my bike I'd toss it all and go back to stock.
    My remaining concern is that the left side of the wheel and tire were coated with oil. I'm believing it is coming from the duckbill that drops oil vapor onto the chain but it's pumping out way too much. I'll toss a catch can on there to verify. Being an older bike this has the crankcase vent attached to the bottom of the cylinder/case on the left side vs the later arrangements. I suppose I can just run a hose out to the rear mudguard like a lot of British bikes have.
    zookster, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  5. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Thinking about the rearset linkage.

In a sense, the transmission doesn't care, if, IF, the return spring is capable of centering the shift lever after each gear change. If the weight or friction in the linkage is too much for the spring to overcome, it will never work correctly.

If you could get a stock shift lever to try, you might determine if the problem is the custom linkage, or something deeper inside.

Mista Vern, Webman and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  6. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Some adjustments and a discussion with another rider who had an old Bullet and I've concluded this thing just shifts for crap. I made it marginally better. Downshifts have to be done by lifting the shifter with your heel as it needs an assertive push into gear that the toes just can't seem to muster. I actually performed a 1-2-3-4 sequence with no neutrals yesterday! And then couldn't downshift into anything resembling a gear, LOL.
    Practice improved my abilities slightly and I'll jump to the assumption an owner who committed to it may find most of the gears he seeks. Me, I'm done with this thing.

I've often wondered how a 350 would compare to the 500. I no longer have to wonder. It's a slug. The roads around me aren't flat but it seems happiest at an indicated 45. Maybe a bit faster as 4th gear is as tall and near-useless as most others have reported. I can't fathom what they were thinking with that 4th gear.
    The small front brake is worthless. The rear works decently.
    Having ridden it for 30 minutes straight I can also state I hate cafe bars! And rearsets. And flat seats with little padding.
    I think the owner had it right when it led this life:

[​IMG]
  7. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome job on seeing this through!!!
    Webman, Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    16 tooth was standard front sprocket for the 350 back then. What's the tooth count on yours ? Pretty common back in the day for some folks to put a bigger front sprocket on thinking they'd go faster only to find out after they were lugging the engine.
  9. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Well the transmission is designed to shift both up and down. As frustrating as this project has been for you, I can't blame you for wanting to throw in the towel.

As I have read through technical notes and looked at more pictures, schematics and exploded views of old transmissions than I like to admit, I end up in the same place I have repeatedly been, ..... if nothing is broke, something is missing, installed incorrectly or out of adjustment.

If you already have, then disregard this, make sure the inner ratchet is properly oriented. Check for excessive wear on both the inner and outer ratchet parts. This was an old, much used transmission when the project began.

Hoping for a more rewarding experience, for you, on the twin.

Mista Vern, thadf and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  10. Beet

Beet adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been playing in shed. Built the gt 535 up with motard wheels. Had my first short ride yesterday. Bloody fantastic. All the best 52F10886-5860-4083-999F-DA5E8F835A65.jpeg 62CCD9E9-8F29-470A-89F3-44683AA8837C.jpeg 10D2501E-9D69-43F0-93A0-8A91922A959D.jpeg
  11. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting, Beet!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    probably not what you want to hear, but a bullet gearbox should shift just as smooth as any other box
    with longer pedal travel, but just as smooth
    ( my to iron barrel bullets shift just fine)
    if you are convinced the box is OK , you might have a look at the clutch
    a dragging clutch ruins the gearchange
    Mista Vern likes this.
  14. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Deposit received on the cafe racer.
    It couldn't have found a better buyer. Retired collector who isn't hell bent on riding it. He's more interested in showing it off with some of his other weirdo bikes (and he's got quite a list). "I always wanted an Enfield but they all look the same. Yours is really unique!" Well, if by pretty but unrideable is what defines unique I've got your bike. :rofl He saw it last night, dropped a deposit, never asked to hear it run. While it is a neat bike and has been fun but tedious to work on it isn't my thing at all. Current owner was happy with the outcome and we are splitting the sale price after expenses (which wound up at around $500). NOBODY made money on it but I enjoyed the education, if frequently frustrating.

It should depart just in time for the '64 Interceptor to arrive and plague my life with problems for the foreseeable future. :jump
  15. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Glad the bike found a good home, but sure will miss the ongoing troubleshooting. Best wishes with your new change(s). :beer
    Webman likes this.
  16. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Cafe' racer leaves today. Interceptor should arrive hopefully tomorrow.
    The 750 twin will probably happen over a much longer time frame depending on what it needs. It will have it's own thread so as not to diminish the home we have here for all things Bullet.
    Webman, Mista Vern and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  17. Mista Vern

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Best of luck with your new project and thanks in advance for allowing us to tag along! :beer
  18. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please post a link in here, so we'll be sure to see it, I'd be interested in seeing how it goes.
    Mista Vern and ddavidv like this.
  19. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  20. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Watching the Missenden Flyer's monthly MCN review and he mentioned the Bullet Classic he rode some time ago.

Though he loves his Interceptor he has been somewhat lackluster about the Bullet.
    Watching and listening to his two videos about the bike Andy 'gets it' but ultimately I think feels it is lacking a bit as an only bike in the garage. And if you aren't living in an urban environment I don't feel he's really wrong.
    But...
    As we all know the Bullet is really a bag full of fun to ride if you aren't in a hurry and just like to experience motorcycling as a relaxation hobby. My IB is a terrible motorcycle by modern standards but because it isn't modern it makes me grin every time I take it out for a jaunt. It's just fun. A lot of motorcycles don't exist to be just fun and nothing else. And the Bullet wasn't originally built to be fun; it was designed to be practical transportation...but in a world/place with narrow, rough roads, little traffic and low speed limits.
    Those criteria today mean it's fun but maybe not the best for every day. Kind of like a 1950s pickup truck. It can do the tasks of 'work' just as well as a new one but won't be the most comfortable, safe or fastest way to get it done.
    I have four bikes now, all with different purposes. The Bullet is pretty high on the list of one I'd keep if the herd got thinned.