New 'oldness', Royal Enfield time machine.

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Scooterdoodler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yup, transport. They were produced as work a day plodders. Then dudes like Johnny Brittan got his hands on the then new swinging arm suspension Bullet and won a bunch of trophies and medals ISDT and SSDT and stuff. Then later this other guy Steve Linsdell set a couple IOM records with a Bullet that still stand today.

The Bullets designer Tony Wilson-Jones was a brilliant engineer. He was also a hech of a a mechanic and competition trials rider. I think he snuck some hidden potential into the design when the board of directors were looking the other way.
    Webman likes this.
  2. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So are the old Iron barrels a POS to avoid vs the newer ones? I've got a hankering for a bullet or classic but no way am i dropping many thousands right now. Seems like the only cheaper ones are 10+ year old iron barrels.

I'd like the classic brit bike experience without the whole rebuild the bike in my apartment kitchen every other month part.
    Eatmore Mudd and Webman like this.
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I've worked on two, own one.
    Absurdly easy to fix. Some of the India materials are not the best. Think 1970s quality. The chrome isn't really durable if left out. Electric start is a time bomb and it's recommended you remove it if equipped. Drum brakes are 'adequate'. 4 speed transmission is leisurely; 5 speed is worlds better. Stock carbs often get replaced with something higher quality. You'll be shopping Hitchcocks for parts as US dealers don't even know they exist.

On the upside I find mine to be pretty easy to own for just local use. Easy to kick start if set up correctly. Mine doesn't leak engine oil but the primary drips despite a new clutch seal. Parts are very inexpensive. If it's ridden with mechanical sympathy and you keep an eye on things I don't feel they are unreliable. The UCE's seem to be only marginally more reliable; I read of electrical issues with the more complex ignition and then there's fuel injection which is better until it isn't.

If I'm shopping an iron barrel I'd look for 'stock' over something someone's been modifying. Mine suffered from cafe racer aspirations and was an utter mess.

It really is a 1955 motorcycle aside from the build date. If that's what you are after you will be charmed. If you expect something that is more like a Hinckley Triumph Bonneville you'll be disappointed.
  4. RustyStuff

Oddometer:
    About the only thing I'd want to do to it after market would be a classic megaphone or shorty peashooter muffler because big singles sound great when loud. I'd really like the classic 500 as it's so different to all the other bikes I've ever had.

and it looks comfortable.

Is it a bike you can own if you live in an apartment that doesn't let you work on it in your parking spot? I'm going to be spending most of the year over in pullman,wa and my lease forbids working on vehicles in the parking lot. Might be able to get away with changing a sparkplug or something like that but not major work.
  5. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    My bike, a 2015 model, has needed no work at all other than oil changes. It has hydraulic lifters so even that task is not necessary. Totally dependable and with the solo seat it's oh-so-comfortable. I did put an aftermarket muffler on it for better sound plus it lightened the bike by probably 10 or more pounds.

DSC_0479.jpeg
    Bigger Al, AZbiker, Beet and 3 others like this.
  6. Trotski

Trotski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is my 2019 RE350 classic It has flat bars , bar end mirrors, shortened rear guard , homemade rear rack , and a cheapie Megaphone which gives it a beautiful sound, i regularly do 300-400km trips on Gravel and bitumen roads , not fast and not a highway machine, but its a lot of fun pottering around on back roads checking the scenery.
    20200912_144512.jpg
    AZbiker, Beet, wfrpalm and 5 others like this.
  7. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Other than tightening a bolt here or there I've had to do nothing to mine since putting it back together.
    Of course, the reason I got it was because the head was off and in pieces because it dropped a valve seat. :zilla
    Iron Barrels can be reliable. Until they aren't.
    I'd probably push you towards getting a UCE. It will be much easier to live with.
    Eatmore Mudd, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I've read through all 74 pages of this thread over the past three days.

Until last year, Royal Enfield wasn't EVEN on my radar screen. I mean, I knew about the old antiquated Bullet, but they were just crap old things, built in INDIA of all places! And only tottering old men and weirdos even considered such an animal... :rolleyes

Then, last October, at Barber vintage fest I strolled through the RE exhibit and a nice looking machine caught my eye... The new INT 650 in Ravishing Red. Throughout the weekend I made multiple trips back to look at, and sit on, it again and again. I'd never even really been that interested in a "modern classic" before. But, that bike got under my skin just a bit for some reason...

Then I found out that they were offering test rides and jumped at the chance! Was at the test ride center first thing the next morning and got in on the first ride of the day. :clap

I approached the test ride cautiously, figuring that it'd just be ok, at best, and possibly just rubbish. But, I was determined to remain objective, put on my "magazine test rider" hat, and see what this outwardly attractive machine was really all about....

Won't go into the details about my experience, by suffice to say, I was blown away by the bike! By the time I left Barber on Sunday afternoon, I was convinced that I'd be buying one soon.

I failed to mention that I had also casually looked at, and sat on, a Himalayan at the booth. I liked the way it felt, and sorta liked the overall bike conceptually. But, it was a RE so surely just a cheap pretender... a small displacement "adventure bike"... Kinda cool looking in an odd, old school way... but...

All the same, I had hoped to get a test ride on both the INT and the Himalayan. But alas, they didn't have a Himalayan in their demo fleet, so I fell in love with the INT and quickly forgot all about the Himalayan... I was gonna buy a new 650 soon though!

Then over the next few weeks, I reevaluated my riding style, what bikes I already had, etc... And started second guessing myself. Then, upon consideration I decided that the Himalayan may actually be something I could justify a bit more, in terms of what I wanted to do, and what I didn't already have in the garage. So, I started at page one in the Himalayan thread here on adv, read every review I could find online, watched every YouTube video made (even the ones in Hindi), and in December I took delivery of the first 2020 Himalayan in the state of Georgia. :clap

Over the months since, my riding style has changed... I'm no longer interested in power or speed... I've learned to slow down just a tad, smell the roses, and take in the sights to a degree that I hadn't previously done aboard a motorcycle. And in the process, I've discovered that I enjoy riding more than I have in YEARS! The Himalayan is a remarkable machine, IMO. But this thread isn't about them, so... I have posted quite a bit about my impression of the bike over in that thread, if anyone is interested in a Himalayan.... And I STILL want an INT 650! One WILL be in my garage at some point. Maybe this coming spring in fact. Need to sell a few bikes to make room so hopefully I'll get off my ass this winter and get some things ready to go by spring. I'm finally motivated to because I am OUT of space! And I promised myself NO new bike until I sell some...

But still... a Bullet? Total rubbish... can't ride them over 45mph... vibrate like HELL... unreliable...

Of course, as things sometimes go, while browsing YouTube for bike related content (specifically RE stuff), I find (and subscribed to) a few channels like The Missenden Flyer, etc... Then somehow I landed on Stuart Fillingham, and a few others... And, my perspective, and perception, began to shift a bit... Then, I began to contemplate what I'd discovered since buying the Himalayan... That I actually enjoy riding around and sightseeing on the country roads.... And even though the Himalayan is capable of more, I rarely feel the desire to do much over 60. And even then, it isn't that often, and 55 is even better. Then I became captivated by the old school, classic looks of the C5 (Stuart Fillingham's Chrome in particular grabbed me by the balls!) Then the question dawned on me... Am I becoming a tottering old man? A weirdo? Or maybe even both?

So, this new tottering old weirdo has spent the last few days trying to learn what he can about these bikes. And have checked FB Marketplace and Craigslist more than once to see what's available within a reasonable distance from me.... And trying to decide which to buy first; a C5 or an Interceptor.... And thinking of which bikes to sell first to make the room...

I have a lot to learn yet, so will likely have questions in time, and likely a lot more when/if I find a bike...

Sorry... Not exactly sure why I even posted... Hmmm... :hmmmmm

Probably the mental game of justification... Post in a thread... increase your "emotional" investment in the subject... Surround yourself with other like minded "weirdos"... Open the door to making sense out of your newfound compulsion to get into something totally irrational...

Yep, sounds exactly like something a tottering old weirdo would do, doesn't it? :fpalm

:ricky
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you find that shirt?! Believe it or not, I currently have 13 bikes in my garage, and I will admit that there's only three of them that I could go out, fire up, and take for a ride... I NEED that shirt!
  10. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Of the 3 bikes that currently run :lol2 only one is a RE.
    I bought into the ADV lifestyle via a family member and started with a KLR, then a V-Strom, then realized I needed something else in addition to a long distance/all day motorcycle. Something for fun that was just purely for riding enjoyment. I love proper retro bikes because they look like motorcycles and not insects or race machines.

At the time the choices were W650, Triumph Bonneville and the C5. The W was too hard to find and I felt too expensive for a bike already several years old. I struggled choosing between the Bonnie and the C5 and ultimately went with the more powerful Bonnie (wisely, I think). It is probably still my favorite bike.

But...

I wound up with the IB Bullet as a fix-up project and because the Bullet just wouldn't leave my mind. Here was a bike that wasn't just giving a nod to the good old days. It actually still lived in them. I expected it to suck, frankly. And I've ridden a number of older British, Italian and Japanese twins. But this thing...when I just want to motor about there is nothing finer. It's a slow-down-and-smell-the-roses machine. I think that's good for me--or anyone--to do.

I've become enamored by the brand's history and engineering. It would be very easy to have one of each model in my garage and be a complete RE fanboi (though the Hima's small displacement really can't replace my Tiger 800).
  11. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure of the exact place, but I saw the quote on the internet and mentioned it to my wife. My sister then got it for me for my next birthday. Funny how that works!

I think just search the web and there will be plenty to pick from.
    Randy likes this.
  12. RustyStuff

Oddometer:
    I'll have to see if I can ever find one to test ride, closest dealers a few hours away in Seattle.

I've been enamored with them for a while. About as close to a Beezer gold star, matchless etc you can get without having to deal with an actual 1950's motorcycle.
    Trotski likes this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Well... no doubt the EFI bikes have more modern internals and modern metallurgy & manufacture. Mrs. Mudd rides a EFI Bullet. Definitely easier to look after and waaaaaaaay less maintenance than the pre unit Bullets I've owned. Same ride and handling. ☺️

That said, pre unit Bullets are decent enough way to get the authentic1950's experience once the mistakes of all the previous owners are sorted out.
    Mista Vern and Webman like this.
  14. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Not really. It sounds more like you like what you like and you know what it is.

Better that than be the guy who tries a bunch of things and never finds one thing he likes.
    Mista Vern, Randy and Webman like this.
  15. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Silly, that's what kitchen tables are for !!!
    Mista Vern, Randy and Webman like this.
  16. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    And that my friend is exactly how you end up with four Enfields in the shed and two and half more in the closets.
    Mista Vern and Webman like this.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago, when I was still living in an apartment, we had basically the same rule about working on vehicles in the parking lot. And yet, when I restored my CB400 SS, I did a good bit of it in my living room and kitchen. But, I did have a storage unit. When I first moved to Georgia, I rented a 5 x 10' unit, a couple of miles away, just to store a couple of dirt bikes. Then I moved into a 10 x 10' so I'd have a bit of room to work on them. Then I moved into a 10 x 20', built a storage loft at one end, and turned it into my "shop". Had plenty of room for "stuff", and working on the major assemblies. Still did a LOT of things inside my apartment though..... Wasn't the best of setups, obviously. But, I made it work.

But yeah, for apartment dwelling motorcycle owners, I'd recommend looking into renting a storage unit if not cost prohibitive in your area. You might be surprised what you can do inside even a small one. For maintaining a single bike you really don't require a lot of space.
    Webman, Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  18. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    During the 5 years that I've rented my 10'x15 space the monthly rent has increased from 90.00 to 165.00. Investment groups are squeezing everything they can in this market.
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's been quite a number of years since I rented. I have no idea what they rent for around here these days, which is why I threw in, "..if not cost prohibitive in your area". I can't even remember what I paid back then, but it wasn't too bad. Then again, it wasn't cheap either. Apartment rent has gone up considerably around here since those days too, so it was likely comparable, percentage wise. But, an almost 100% increase in 5 years is quite a hit. One of the many advantages of owning rather than renting... the mortgage stays the same, while rent continues to go up, and up, year after year.

I know that, depending on where one lives, purchasing may not be a viable option though, and that living in an apartment is what many do for one reason or another. Been there and done that myself. But, if you don't own a home with a garage, and still want/need shop/work/storage space... It worked for me for a number of years before I bought my house.

In fact, thinking back on those days now, I remember when I first started dealing with a realtor, one of the things I told her was that a house HAD to have a garage. My rent had kept going up too. And I was tired of the hassle of going back and forth between my "shop" and apartment. I was open to many other variables, but a garage was not optional.

Oh yeah, and trees... Property had to have trees and not have been clearcut by the builder... In fact, the trees is how I ended up with my house. When I found it, it was what I wanted. We were excited to have finally found the place that felt "right". But it was during the holidays so we had a lot going on and decided to think it over on our trip home for Christmas, and make an offer when we got back home. But, when we got back, and called, we found out that the house had gone under contract a couple days before. We were devastated. Then, I found out that the offer had been made with the stipulation that the builder cut and clear a bunch of the trees. I let it be known that he had another buyer that DIDN'T want the trees cut... Guess what his answer was to the first offer.... Been here for 20 years, and while it's nothing impressive, it's perfect for me and my lifestyle... Well... I could use more garage space... :D
  20. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would've done the same thing. I'll never understand why someone would want to remove all those trees, just to have some giant lawn to mow. Then again, I live in a desert, so maybe I'm biased against lawns. :jack
    Randy and RustyStuff like this.