New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Socal996

Socal996 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, really stupid question, and I've done a search with no love. On a 2015 F700GS with a low seat, where are you guys and gals storing the owners manual on the bike? Wont fit where the first aid kit would go, wont fit near the back where the helmet holder would be if I had one, can't imagine it sits on top of the Bosch unit? I've seen a pick on this thread where an 800 (I think) has a spot in the middle of the seat, mine doesn't have the same setup. It's actually my wife's bike, so I could say I'm asking for her. :-)
  2. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have the pdf manual in dropbox on my phone. i suppose if i felt it necessary to have the printed copy on me i'l put it in my tank bag.
    runnr548 likes this.
  3. Socal996

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea, the other thing about being CA is we have to carry the registration with the bike, on the 1200GS it's just easy to put it in the manual and under the seat. She could certainly carry just the registration under the seat without the manual.
  4. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Read the manual one time through cover to cover and you won't need to carry it with you. I keep my registration in my billfold.
  5. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kept mine under the seat wrapped in a ziploc - for a while. I found the vibration rubbed all of the information off of the bosch unit.

I agree with the rest here - not really anything in that manual that requires you have it with you. If there is for you, put it in your pocket, tank bag, phone, etc
  6. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    I have a f800gs and keep it under the seat all the way back in the tail rack area lots of room
  7. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    It's designed to fit UNDERNEATH the Bosch unit. Slip it under just behind the fuel filter rubber cap - there is a 10mm gap where it fits nicely.
    04478, ADVwxyz and ChicoProf like this.
  8. Socal996

Oddometer:
    All good options. Thanks. Farqhuar is correct is does fit under the Bosch unit
  9. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Kia Ora from Aotearoa (New Zealand) - my stupid Q - a 'newbie' to the F series fold I've recently moved from an R1200GS SOHC to an F800GSA (suspect its an '16 manufacture) - end of the line before the new enhanced FGS

My Q is about mysterious loss of power whilst on the move - it's a 'ride by wire' equipped version and whilst moving along, on country roads riding gravel, on sealed roads at 100km and dawdling in congested motorway traffic; I suddenly get the 'exclamation' mark appearing in the display AND zero throttle response off idle speed - this has happened probably 5 times in the almost 6,000 km from new in my ownership (purchased in September '17). My resolution so far is to switch off and restart.

I'm taking it to the dealer this coming week - wondering whether others have similar experience?

thanks in advance - cheers Oaters
  10. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh dear Stephen, you bought another BMW! Did you learn nothing from the Aussie riders in the Flinders Ranges!
    Anyway for this problem one would think that a re-flash of the ECU is in order. Cheers and hope they find the fault.
  11. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Hiya Kym - yes I know there's no helping some folk - I didn't even try a an Africa Twin or a Tiger like yours - hope all's good for you - cheers Stephen
  12. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Wise choice of bike, It sounds like it might be your fuel pump, keep the fuel above half tank and see if the symptons go away, if it goes away when tank is full its usually a sign the fuel the pump is submersed in is preventing the failing pump from overheating.

Lucky you arent on Tiger youd be sick of patching up the front guard by now, and have sore arms from the sports bike riding position and sick of having to turn the offroad mode back on everytime you stop, that is if you know where to select the modes on the dash. :D

How you enjoying the bike ?

13. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Hiya BygDaddee - thanks for your suggestion - sounds feasible to me - will check it out - as to how I'm liking the little GSA - it works for me :)
    BygDaddee likes this.
  14. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    How many k’s has it done, the fuel pumps are very reliable in the later models

15. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Cheers - less than 7,000km bought it new in September - first instance happened less than 2,000km in
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you check the fuel pump filter in case it has been blocked with junk from contaminated fuel? Is there any other reason why they fail BD(other than blocked filter/over heating)? I thought they had fixed the fuel pump issue.

Oaters this is a dangerous fault. I would be demanding the dealer either fixes it pronto or replaces it under the lemon laws of NZ. Running out of power half way through a busy intersection is not a laughing matter.
  17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    It is only a hunch, as the symptons match what happens with overheating failing pumps.

You can pull it out and see filter but id be back to the dealer first. If the filter blocks and pump draws too much current the Canbus can shut it down.

The fuel pumps are very reliable but anything can and does have random failured
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Logically if it was an overheating pump it would need time to cool and a restart would not fix it.
  19. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Have you got 3-5mm free play in your clutch lever ?

Its known for the F8 not to be predilvered or first service checked properly and too little clutch free play burns out the plates, ive heard of 2 in last few months
  20. Oaters

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kym - having met you and experienced your hospitality and followed some of your posts - eg Neck Braces (and the virtues of same) along with your 'affection' for your Tiger and its use as an adventure steed; I appreciate your comments (really :) )

thanks guys - XRMan's musing seems logical - ie my 'reset / re start' inconsistent with an overheating pump - I defer to both your knowledge / musings - me I'm a 'technical pygmy' (more comfortable with my modest / simple DR)

Thanks for the 'heads up' BD - I've now checked and this seems okay

Both of you, I await the results of my interactions with the Dealership with some trepidation / uncertainty - here's hoping for a positive outcome - I've been a long term devotee of the BMW Marque :)
    BygDaddee likes this.