New part from BMW

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Prutser, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does someone have experience with this new short beancan?
    The old part number is replaced by the number on this can.

20157442_831764660311522_6330746704645636108_o.jpg

20121556_831764693644852_8003351608709922214_o.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone and spokester like this.
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting; Max lists it as NA. Where are you seeing it listed? EDIT: see them listed for between $400-$500.
    01 12 11 1 244 088 IGNITION SENSOR 1.31 1 NA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12111244088 was superseded by 12112413906.
    01 12 11 2 413 906 IGNITION SENSOR 1 NA
  3. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. Looks sealed and unservicable. I also assume they eliminated the mechanical advance due to the shorter height and managed to incorporate some sort of solid state advance - not gonna work for the dual-pluggers.
  4. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot smaller to carry as a spare and I expect a fraction of the weight, if you are using one let us know how it goes.
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    It's beautiful.
    CROSSBOLT, tac650 and bmwrench like this.
  6. Arktasian

Arktasian Forced Induction, the "Un-Natural" advantage.

Oddometer:
    The last bit there - not entirely true in every case
  7. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. In the bikes I've dual-plugged, I've simply retarded the timing a few degrees, although I have slowed the advance on a few. I am most curious about that unit; I suspect that it would require a different ICU, like the one Emerald Isle sells. What surprises me is that it has a Bosch label. They seem to have abandoned motorcycles-or was it the other way around?
    SmittyBlackstone and Arktasian like this.
  8. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I think it's great the BMW has spent money on R&D for a new part for our old airheads!!!
  9. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Of course, some ecu's allow a custom, uniquely tailored ignition table for "Optimized" spark across the gambit (as Sheldon would say)
    Interesting to see what this "short stack" works with
    bmwrench likes this.
  10. AndrewSJC

AndrewSJC Out of round & off center, but not rusted through.

Oddometer:
    Noob question: what is the advantage of a "bean can" ignition, compared to regular old points? I assume BMW put the points in a can for a good reason, but I've never heard why.
  11. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW almost never says why they do things, but they called the bean can "Steady-State Ignition" (as opposed to Solid-State, I suppose). The drive quill used on the '70-'78 motorcycles was always a chancy installation; there is no key way or flat to locate it, and many of them were not straight.
    SmittyBlackstone and spokester like this.
  12. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer is telling for a few years now that some part suppliers who have been making the oem parts stopped doing that.
    That's why a lot of prices and delivery times were crazy the last few years. Like the oil pump it was like 12€ and now the same part is almost 90€ plus I had to wait for it for more than a year. Maybe the old bean can's were out of stock and they searched for a new supplier. If they eliminated the mechanical advance part it might be cheaper to produce.(not that we will notice that :D
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Here's what mine looks like, not quite as nicely shortened as I wanted to retain outboard bearing support, but also a lot cheaper no doubt than the Bosch offering. All for clearance to the charge air cooler. (that's a VR rather than a Hall sensor, both on cam and above on crank with 36/1 chopper - a shive behind to drive alternator above))
    Short Bean Can.jpg
    Front Sensors.jpg
  14. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if the part can be acquired through Bosch directly. Hall Sensors (on -gasp- oilheads) were a fraction of the cost with a Bosch label rather than the BMW label. Replaced one for at least a hundred less.
    100 bucks to have BMW burn their roundel into a chunk of plastic wasn't worth it.
  15. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:

I tried to get one direct from Bosch but it wasn't possible because BMW had it made for their own needs.

I ordered one from BMW yesterday so I can try it and see how it performs.
  16. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    You can get the pick up coil with pig tail mounted on a plate from Motobins for about $100

[​IMG]
    aptbldr, bleaknessengine and Prutser like this.
  17. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I have been taking with me as a spare for years. Changing it on the road might be challenging.
  18. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Indeed, a bit fiddly to change even on the bench. I had a spare can to use for mine, previous one crapped out and was replaced with a used one.
  19. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    That repair kit doesn't address all of the issues, though. Obviously if a sensor goes bad that will fix it, but I've seen a shaft bushing go bad and of course there's the sticking advance mechanism.
    SmittyBlackstone, Uke and Big Bamboo like this.
  20. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine came in and it's beautiful.

When you spin it you won't feel the resistance an old one had. It's clearly all electronic inside now. The only thing you do feel when spinning it round is the magnets inside.

IMG_2908.jpg

The old one was easy to mount and easy to put it into the camshaft. With the new one it's much much harder because you can't feel when it's in the right position.
    Those new O-rings on the unit can be hard to push into the engine cover so it's even harder to be sure it's in the right position.

At first I took off the O-ring to check if it would fit ok. But it did.

IMG_2909.jpg

It even came with basic adjustment instructions.

IMG_2917.jpg

The bike started like normal. Checking the timing with a stroboscope showed the "S" much longer than the old type one with the mechanical advance unit.
    It was clear to see it retard different from the old one.

With the first test ride the bike cut out two times. Felt just like a hick-up. But after 1Km the bike stalled. I could not get it to fire up again. Waited 10 min and it did start so I drove back to my workshop to grabbed some tools and my old beancan just as a backup. After that it didn't do anything strange. It felt stronger than with the old beancan and even when deliberately opening the throttle full on a low RPM the bike didn't ping and felt pretty good for a first test ride.

Attached Files: