New part from BMW

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Prutser, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Square1

Square1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. pietas

pietas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any feedback on this new BMW beancan?
  3. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    just rebuild the old unit, not that hard to do....you can buy the hall sensor for about $160 or a reman for $280, and no questions about it working as it should. The emerald isle doesn't time correctly at both idle and full advance...at least that's my experience with it. plus to many questions about the replacement BMW bosch unit.
  4. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know many people that use the new unit and all of them like it a lot. I think I was just unlucky with the few I tried.
    lurcher1000, pietas and Malindi like this.
  5. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    That $160 would be for the hall sensor + plate + wiring.
    The hall sensor itself would be ~$30, you then need to do wiring transfer and dismounting of the original hall sensor.

I like the new unit, but it could have been better ... as in easy replacement of the hall sensor itself by making it serviceable.
  6. mrclubike

mrclubike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree
    I tried three different EI ignition modules and they would only advance about 20 deg not the 26 as advertised
    I ended up rebuilding my original ITU and only carry the EI ignition as an emergency spare
  7. Arkwright

Arkwright Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer:
    I've got the early version of the EI system on my G/S and the latest inverted version which appear to be made by Siemens on my R100GS's and they all seem fine, they certainly fire up quicker even when they've been stood without a battery tender when they go on a trip. (so far so good)
  8. pietas

pietas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asked at my local BMW dealer about this and they said no stock available. Not even Germany
  9. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently installed a new BMW ignition on a local bike. I think he is having some fuel starvation issues but no issues with the ignition that I know of. The bike is scheduled to come back in at some point.
  10. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    Update: I think this new unit is problematic. The bike I worked on experienced regular stalling (sometimes immediately after starting, sometimes after up to ten minutes but rarely more) and in most of those cases the key needed to be cycled off before the bike would restart. I ended up putting an LED monitor onto the blinking return signal from the HES and observed that it stayed solid ON when the engine stalled. Cranking, it would stay solid. After cycling the ignition it would blink again and the engine would start.

It seems that availability of this new unit is very limited and it could be that BMW is having the issues fixed. I'll talk with my parts guy today about it.
    Malindi likes this.
  11. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the exact same problem with two.
    Last week one guy had problems with his new unit which felt like the weights were stuck (same simptons)
    Mounted his old beancan and the problem was fixed.
  12. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    What ignition modules were in the bikes that you had problems with? And Square1, what module was in your bike when you had problems? Many of these bikes no longer have the modules that BMW supplied. And there is no "only in conjunction with" note with this new part.
  13. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had them replaced with the Original ones ordered from our local BMW dealer.

MotorenIsrael sells the siemens only with a new ignition module to avoid problems. Not because it's needed with the new unit.
  14. Jans

Jans Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still find it very strange that some have problems.. also like to know what it is, since I don't carry any spare.

I have ridden approximately 5000km with the Bosch unit on my 94' 100GS, in different conditions. Cold, slow traffic in hot conditions, highway and 1500km off-road without any problems.
  15. AntonLargiader

Oddometer:
    When Europeans talk about the Siemens one, they're talking about the Emerald Island one, right? It's a brilliant bit of marketing to re-brand a Taiwanese product as a German one. :)

If this is the case, then to the best of my knowledge the new module IS required because that's where the advance is generated, unlike the BMW designs where the advance happens in the canister. This may be subject to change since - last I knew - production was shut down again for yet another redesign.

And if it's not the case - and the so-called Siemens system isn't actually the Emerald Island one, what is the Siemens one?
  16. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer. And confused. Had hoped to use this new unit when putting my '79 back together. :(
  17. Square1

Square1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anton, I used it with the OEM module.
  18. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know there is one that boxersupplies sells and a different one thats sold by motorworks and MotorenIsrael. I think the boxersupplies one is the Emerald Island unit.

Someone I know called to motorenisrael and asked about the module thats sold with their bean can. Thats how I know they only sell it with the module to avoid people blame the new bean can for something caused by the ignition module.

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/elektronische-ontsteking-alle-modellen-vanaf-1979-pi-344.html

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=20&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_20_IA_40
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  19. Arktasian

Arktasian Feelin the BMEP

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll have to build you something to put in that spot Jim (just maybe :pot)
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  20. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :super