New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Camarodude

Camarodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, your KLR looks good
  2. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    Looks mighty good, Roger! Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just the right size for me and the 800XC.

Installation took about 45 minutes and that included drilling out one hole (the left bag forward lower hole was off about 1/16" - right bag was perfect. No big deal at all but I thought I would mention it.)
  3. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Awesome pelican box. I have a 1550 mounted on my12GS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just had the weirdest experience - I've ordered a top case from Caribou cases and it has been held up on customs for two weeks week. After much badgering of the people in customs, I just found out that the hold-up is due to a single problem with the documents that came with the top case, and immediately proceeded to e-mail their sales contact.

I've received no reply yet (well, only 2 and a half hours have passed since their opening hours), but when I tried calling them I got this messages stating "This number does not accept unidentified callers. If you are a solicitor, hang up now" WHAT.THE.F***K?

I'm calling from abroad (hence the stupid machine thinking I'm unidentified), and I'm getting rather pissed at this, since I am not at fault here.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have other, less agreeable options available to sort this thing out if I can't get in touch with them so they sort their mess out.
  5. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Hello,

You can email me at roger@cariboucases.com (I just emailed to you). I'll do what I can to help. Not sure why your call did not come through, we have no blocks on international calls.

-roger
  6. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E-mail sent, thanks!
  7. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    If anyone else has had some problems sending emails to caribou please let me know. Everything seems to be working right, but who knows what I missed. The Chinese spam is certainly coming through just fine:)
  8. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been an incredibly hectic week, so my apologies to Roger for the late reply. He sorted everything out, I finally got my case on the past Thursday, assembled it last week and I'm very impressed.

It went together perfectly, looks and feels extremely tough. I'd take pictures of it, but it's pouring outside.

- Tiago
  9. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are a few photos of my Caribou-equipped KLR in an urban setting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Numa
  10. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I took my first overnight trip two weekends ago using my new Caribou saddlebags. The 3-day trip was almost all mountain riding and covered roads in North Carolina, Tennessee and South Carolina. It featured dirt/gravel fire roads and some great, tight technical twisty pavement. We even had the pavement disappear on us without warning up in the mountains when the road suddenly turned to gravel.

I had my Caribou bags loaded down with all of the travel essentials -- rain suit, rain gloves, tools, first aid kit, digital camera, GoPro camera and mounts, iPad, cigars/cutter/lighter, water, etc. I carried my clothes in a submersible bag up on the rear rack and used the Caribou bags for all of the heavy and expensive items.

The Caribou bags worked great and I never had to worry about any of the expensive items going missing when we stopped for breaks. Here's another close-up shot of my 35-liter Caribou Pelican Storm saddlebag mounted on my 2013 Kawasaki KLR 650.

[​IMG]

Thank you for making such great bags!

Numa
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the photos and taking the time to do the write-up BlueRidge. Nice looking KLR!
  12. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so when I got my Caribou case I was left a bit in doubt regarding the size of the 35 Liter Pelican and how it would fit my G650GS.

I rolled both mine and my brother's old-gen F650GS out of the garage and shot some pictures - perhaps that way someone will get a better idea. Sorry for the crap photography.

First, the ugly shot - I believe this is the most unfavorable angle:
    [​IMG]

Side, Rear, and some other angle shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good shot of how my helmet doesn't fit it (It isn't supposed to, but gives you an idea of the depth of the case):

[​IMG]

And some comparison shots with BMW's top case (which my brother's bike has):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, I'm loving it to bits. Very solidly mounted, looks and feels hard as nails, the latches feel like they could be used to secure a safe, and it carries my backpack with laptop and camera securely. I'm very, very impressed with this bit of kit.

Roger, let me know if you need any of these in full-res.

- T.
  13. steinline

steinline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    are those 40 or 35?
  14. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Those are 35L Storm cases, the 40L cases are taller and longer but no wider on the bike.

-rog
  15. BluRidgeRider

Oddometer:
    I really like those 35L Storm cases. They hold plenty of stuff, but don't stick out too far. I rode a 435 mile mountain loop on Saturday that included about 40-50 miles of dirt/gravel fire roads. The mounts were rock solid; no vibration of the cases.

Top quality stuff!

Numa
  16. Stinkerbelle

Stinkerbelle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger, I had forgotten this thread but on seeing it again thought you might like to see some more Caribou Cases fits. You won't remember I'm sure, but you mailed my KTM 950 Adv cases out to Basra, Iraq when I was serving out there alongside some of your countrymen. The 950 has moved on (to another soldier as it happens) but I have modified the cases to fit the new 1190 on the H&B symentrical racks.

Mods to the case (tape is temporary I promise!):

[​IMG]

Fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top box is a Krauser K5 fitted on top of a KTM Powerparts plate that was modified to allow the H&B racks.

The fitting puck is a Touratech set I had lying around from a different project. The Caribou Peli Cases are still on the money:clap
  17. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Nice work stinkerbelle!
  18. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have longer quarter-turn fasteners available, or know where I can find some? I'm trying to install the top case I got from you guys a while ago, and they don't appear to be long enough to go through the case and mounting hardware...
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Send me an email at roger@cariboucases.com and we'll get it working right for you.
  20. ubermick

ubermick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pinged Rodger (for it is he!) about this, but wanted to ask the inmates on this.

Popping my Caribous on my F650GS twin - DIY kit comes tomorrow. Ordered an SW Motech rack to mount them to, and was wondering if the moving of turn signals is necessary? (The installation instructions say yeah - but they don't seem to be getting in the way with a dry fit, although might get covered from the side when the cases are mounted?)