New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Well, I don't see much of a rear subframe there. It looks like that part is different from the F800GS. You might look up under the wheel well area and see if there are some tapped holes in the frame (like the F800GS has). Or take a photo up in there.
  2. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    I see only 2014 and earlier HB side racks available, so it looks like they don't have the new bike covered yet. You can also use Givi racks if they have them.

I would say 90cm across from outside case-to-case is about the minimum to expect. We usually see 95cm.
  3. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. There are no straight Givi racks, just the PLX-R racks for the V35 cases. My estimate is that these cases and racks on the new R end up being around 96 to 98cm which is quite a fat ass. My goal is to get to 90cm or less with my luggage system.
  4. spiney

spiney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the end of a fern curl, in Essex innit
    OK I'll strip off that white undertray and take some photos and measurements. Like I said, I know I'll have to modify the subframe and cut through the undertray to expose those mods for the HB side racks to bolt to.
  5. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put in a big order for my 2015 V-Strom 650 this morning... the Storm 35L set with the H&B rack, the 34L top box setup, case liners, inner bags, lid organizers, extra lock, more. Sure looking forward to getting this stuff on the bike!
  6. michaeln

Oddometer:
    Wow, i am amazed... I ordered early this morning and already got UPS tracking info for 3 big boxes! Should be here this coming Wednesday.
  7. norexit

norexit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rodger,

It looks like you're no longer making your own racks, opting for Hepco Becker instead? What's the reason for this?

Is your rodger@cariboucases.com no longer the right email to contact you?
  8. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    The correct/current email is sales@cariboucases.com. We have been using German made Hepco Becker racks for about 5 years now and have had excellent results. Making our own racks and keeping up with demand was getting difficult with all the new adventure bikes hitting the market. Also, we make side cases to fit Givi and SW Motech EVO racks, so you have a lot of different rack choices now. We found HB racks to be the best fit and the strongest by a good margin.

Thank you.
    -roger
  9. michaeln

Oddometer:
    My Caribou Cases setup arrived yesterday. All is installed and adjusted. I like them a LOT.

[​IMG]

I had been worried about clearance for my Akrapovic exhaust system with some of the other racks. These Hepco & Becker ones clear it nicely and seem very stout.

[​IMG]

I like these case liners. They give you the best of both top loading and side loading panniers. Open them up, nothing falls out.

[​IMG]

The 34L top box is held on with 4 1/4 turn fasteners on the inside, and is big enough to fit a full face helmet with room to spare. All of the locks on the whole system are matched, so only one key is required.

[​IMG]

I also put a set of Shinko 705s on yesterday.
    eakins likes this.
  10. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I love your top load pelican cases.
    Which mounts and racks will I need
    for a '13 Triumph Explorer?
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  12. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roger:

I'm out in your neck of the woods. Rode my Caribou Luggage-equipped KLR from Charlotte, NC out to Colorado and have been riding dirt roads around Denver and Fairplay.

image.jpg

Numa
    ShimrMoon and michaeln like this.
  13. KLRAddict

KLRAddict Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love those red crash bars. Motec? Also how big are you boxes? I was looking at these for my klr and would love to get an idea of box size vs trip legnth and how far out you've gone
  14. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are SW-Motech crash bars. I had them powder coated in red to match the red trim in the factory Kawasaki graphics.

The bags are 35L Storm cases. On this trip I rode a little over 4,000 miles in eleven days. Left the Caribou bags on the entire time. I augmented them with a Wolfman Expedition bag lashed to the luggage rack. The setup worked great!

Numa
  15. rider7

rider7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roger - Im thinking hard about the 25l top loading side cases for my 500x this Christmas. I have the grab bars removed so I could bolt in a backrest for my wife - will I be able to mount these even if those are removed? Thats really the only thing holding me back.
  16. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Yes, it will work fine, in fact it is required to remove the stock passenger grab rails on this bike when fitting HB side racks, Hepco Becker offers a replacement grab rail.
  17. rider7

rider7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more thing..are the top loading cases much wider than side loading? i want my width profile to be thinner vs too bulky
  18. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    The 25L top loaders are a couple inches narrower at the bottom of the case, and about the same at the lid compared to our side loading cases. Top loaders taper down from lid to bottom, so they will look and feel quite a bit narrower.
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  20. tony2001

tony2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its happening, soon to be done, hopefully :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]