New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Thx, I'll try that next time out!
  2. Factor

Factor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two things - Firstly, Congratulations on the 10 years, and can I say I am a proud owner of your Commando System on Suzuki vStrom 650XT. Just the best system I have used by far. Will probably buy some hard cases after shipping the bike to the US to ride alaska and Canada late next year, its great to know they will just slide straight on.

Secondly on the pivot pins, I have a pelican style case from an automotive supply shop in Australia as a topbox, I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic at the end of the pin area, no problems with moving pins since. Tooloom Falls.jpg
  3. Paint Doc

Paint Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roger, I have a 2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and am considering your luggage system. A friend of mine had your side loading cases on his KLR, and liked them, except he said he would have preferred a top loading case like he had on other bikes. I wanted the 25 liter capacity as most of my rides are short, just 1-2 days, and I have a tendency to carry too much junk if I have the space! I was sold on the 25 liter top load cases until I read a customer review on your site that stated he could not fully open one of the cases (left side) while the case was mounted on the bike. Can you elaborate on this? I may have to change my thinking and go with the 35 liter side loading cases instead.

Thanks!
  4. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    This is an issue on the Tiger 800 with the 25L top loaders, but I don't think it is an issue on the V-Strom. You can shave off some material from the plastic fins on the back of the case to resolve. Hope this helps.
    -rog
  5. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    I have the 25l top loaders on my Tiger, and yes you need to shave down 3 small ribs on the left side only. 2 minutes with a dremel tool. With that, they open fully.

Perfect size case for me.
  6. Paint Doc

Paint Doc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bigtex, I appreciate the info. Also thanks for the photos you posted of your pannier configuration. I'm still having a hard time making a decision though.
    One problem with the top loaders is if I take a longer trip and need more room, when I strap a waterproof duffle across the back it will not allow me to open the cases. The side loaders would not have this problem. Have you had this problem? Any suggestions?
  7. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    I could see that being an issue with a large duffel, for sure. But there is a pretty good space there still. I have a waterproof roll duffle that fits just fine, and on my last big trip I used a Cortech tail bag that is more of a sport bike type. Worked perfectly. One of these:

[​IMG]
  8. Ackme

Ackme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience (or perhaps Roger can comment) on putting the 25 ltr top loaders on a Honda NC700x - clearance, etc.? The web site shows systems for the 35ltr side loaders in both Storm and Pelican.

thanks,
  9. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roger:

Do you know if Hepco Becker is working on racks for the new Honda Africa Twin? If so, do you have any idea when they will be available through your company?

Numa
  10. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    See Link on the first question.

Rick
  11. BluRidgeRider

BluRidgeRider Long Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The Africa Twin looks to be an awesome bike! Might just have to add one to the stable.

Numa
  12. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was on my short list as I am very happy with the 2010 Goldwing. However, even the mighty GW has issues the first couple of years, as did KTM 1190(r), so I went the way of the Tiger (XCx) with the idea of revisiting the AT in the future when the design is known and stable.

Rick
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    HB will indeed have side racks for the new Africa Twin, and we expect to have them in stock in a couple of weeks. We will then have these and all our complete side case systems for the Africa Twin available. We will need a bike to do the rear top case design, so anyone in the front range of CO interested in a great deal in exchange for a few hours use of your bike just let me know. Thank you!

-roger
  14. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
    I've got a deposit down on one here in Boulder to upgrade from my Transalp and I'm here in Boulder, so I'll let you know when I get it in. I'll be looking for some side racks as well.

BTW, glad to see you are still at it with the cases. Bet you don't miss the old Exabyte days one bit.
  15. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Give me a call or email when you are ready with the bike. Thank you!
  16. RiderRider

RiderRider Just ride!

Oddometer:
    Hi, Is there any Caribou re-seler in Europe, more specifically in Portugal? Just checking because I really like this pannier systems, but is it to expensive to ship them from US. Thanks.
  17. PapaWolf

PapaWolf When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Oddometer:
    I have some questions about a Caribou Case Top Case for my 2000 DR650, and figured I would ask here in case the community has input as well!

I am planning on putting the 35L Pelican Top Case on my bike in the coming months. According to the website, since there is no dedicated option for the DR, I am going to have to use one of the Universal kits. My main question is: what rear racks will work with the Caribou Rear Cargo plate?

I currently have a ProMoto Billet rack on there, which I am likely going to take off and sell because 1) it doesn't look like it will work with the Caribou Rear Cargo plate and 2) because it's a pricey rack, and I would like to sell it and put something a bit cheaper on. If I went with the ProCycle Top Rack, will the Caribou Cargo plate bolt right on?

Thanks in advance, getting my luggage system sorted is keeping me up at night!
  18. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Installed mine this week. Thank you, Caribou!

[​IMG]

Sent from under a rock using Tapatalk
    BluRidgeRider likes this.
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Looks like either rear rack will support our cargo plate. You need a 4-bolt pattern to bolt our plate down.
  20. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    You are welcome! Great looking bike.