New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. MEROST

MEROST Southwest

Oddometer:
    I have been contemplating making the transition from soft luggage to hard luggage on my 2012 ST1200 for a long time now. I really like Pelican cases and I'm leaning towards a set of the Caribou Cases, specifically the Storm 25L top loaders. Any comments on the 25L version? I normally use an Ortlieb 45L duffle to carry my larger items (tent, etc) so I would think 95L (in total) should be more than enough? Thoughts? Additionally, are their any discount codes or group buys available for Caribou Cases?
  2. deliberate speed

deliberate speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my pelican 1520 from caribou cases. I'm going to mount it on my DRZ using this rack http://www.moto-racks.com/Blank.html which is basically round tubing.

I was thinking about using electrical service cable clamps or one hole EMT clamps and 1/4-20 bolts. Anyone else use something different or have another idea?
  3. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    The 25L top loaders are very light and narrow on the bike, so if you don't need a huge amount of capacity they are great. Sorry but no discount codes available. Thank you for inquiring.

-roger
  4. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the clamps you mention, but the ones with the thin metal band and rubber bushing inside are not very strong.

-rog
  5. deliberate speed

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't think I'll use those. They're pretty thin. I was looking for something like the wavy metal pieces that come with Givi mounting plate kits. Like in this picture: http://www.giviusa.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/e251.jpg

They (Giviusa) don't seem to sell the hardware only, though. Oh well. I'll see how the conduit clamps work.

Thanks for replying.
  6. deliberate speed

Oddometer:
    I've had my case installed for about a week. I think it turned out well using this rack I have been using for a few years now. It's basically a rigid part of the bike now and a big improvement over my previous case. Here are some pictures in case someone else is looking to do something similar. I used 1/4-20 bolts with fender washers on top and nylock nuts & split lock washers with 1/2" EMT conduit one-hole clamps on the bottom. Four bolts would probably be fine, but the rack had two captive nuts in the middle for mounting a rotopax system. I marked and drilled those first and then used them to hold the case in place while I marked and drilled the others.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice job of mounting.
    Its not a fast release but nobody is going to take it either.
  8. deliberate speed

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, I was more worried about being able to lock it than being able to take it off the bike. It would certainly take some effort for someone to remove it.
  9. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Got any pics of the Commando bags mounted on a KTM 950/990? I'm seriously considering these soft bags they look like the ticket. It seems they are thickest/ 32oz pvc bags on the market. I also like the no straps for mounting
  10. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a DIY commando soft bag kit. Ill mount it up to my stock KTM 950 bags and post up my solution.
  11. GED2

GED2 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Can the mounting/drilling of the Commando softbags be requested to be high so that the bag is as low and as forward as possible?

I've seen this picture:
    [​IMG]

I specifically would like to ensure that the top of the bag is below the passenger grab handle bar because
    I am thinking of removing the exhaust of the 2014 Tiger 800 XC and having the Hepco Becker racks hacked / rewelded to bring them closer to the frame to have a narrower profile.

Thanks,
  12. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    The Commando bags have a fixed position, they cannot be drilled in order to move them. They are about as low and forward as you would want to go unless you had no passenger ever. Hope this helps, thank you.

-roger
  13. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Commando bags install on stock ktm racks with Happy Trail pucks. Very straight forward and I'm very happy with the outcome. The orange pencil zipper pocket is added for paper work and small stuff. These bags are a great option compared to other brands at 3x the price.

Attached Files:

Paint Doc likes this.
  14. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
    Reflective 3m added

Attached Files:

15. Bike2it

Bike2it So many miles, so many ways

Oddometer:
    Why no top load? Why no tie down loups for loading luggage on top of the side mount case?
  16. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  17. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Looks good, what's the installed width?
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    About 38" across
  20. Hank122

Hank122 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find out which Givi racks for the pre-2012 Vstrom 650 will fit the Caribou 35 Liter COMMANDO Soft Luggage. There are 2 Givi Monokey racks for this bike;
    Givi PL532
    Givi PL532CAM
    The 2nd one (PL532CAM) fits the Givi Outback Trekker cases.
    Do they both work with the Caribou luggage? There is nowhere on the Caribou website to submit a question.

Thanks,
    Henry.