New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    You are very welcome!
  2. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.....I see that from an earlier post that you will sell the bags with a blank backing plate, and we can use any mounting kit that would be compatible with the Rockfox racks?
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Life???

Crap ... I don't think Roger ever sleeps :lol2
    He answers all my :loco e-mails really quickly
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    So ... I've pestered the shit out of Roger ... so I'll divert my attention to this thread...
    Has any one here tripped the mechanical "fuse" on their cases?
    The lock is designed to break first saving more expensive stuff which I like ... I'm wondering how / where it breaks?
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  5. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Caribou cases are on a '12 S10 (HB Racks) These were well used on a for 20K + miles. Several tip-overs no problem, a couple 5-10mph off road mishaps only left scars (of pride to me) on the covers. One faster mishap on the red clay (mud) offroad in AZ had me slide out at about 25-30mph. The left case was pulled loose from the rear of the racks, did not quite come off (S10 on top), but when Bike was upright case would come off as if unlocked. Only damage was the (twisted-open) metal box that attaches to case, and encloses the lock on the metal frame.
    Obvious to me, HB designed this perfectly (in strength) and Caribou added to its bullet-proofness, with Pelicans.

The (loaded) cases finished another 150 off road miles, and 600 road miles with the lock area tied with an industrial ziptie. A phone call to these guys got me the parts quickly. The cases themselves needed NO work. I can see how the fingers that hold onto the metal hoop were wrenched & twisted, but the plastic is fine.

If these had been any other hard case, methinks this dump would require R&R of the case.

Just My 2 Cents.

Mike B.
    Downey, CA
    JRWooden and ShenandoahRider like this.
  6. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Typically, no backing plate is used with puck-style mount kits, you just drill the case to fit the pucks to the specific rack. I suppose you could use a backing plate, but ours would probably not be suitable for what you are doing because it does not extend to the entire inside surface of the case, just to where we need it for our design.

-rog
  7. dsbiker

dsbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The mechanical "Fuse" would be the threaded adjustable part of the quarter turn latch assembly if you hit anything towards the front of case that tries to knock case rearwards it bends the threaded rod allowing case to loosen or fall off. Ask me how I know? you can usually straighten at least a couple of times but hard to do in the field. A good temporary fix is to put case back on(pucks and guide plate should be okay unless you really hit something at speed) and bungy or tie in the forward position until latch can be repaired or replaced. Since I've already straightened two of mine a couple of times I now carry spares which are easy to change in the field. You can order spares with same key if you feel the need.
  8. dsbiker

dsbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the 34 liter topcase for Africa Twin but don't like the 4 internal quarter turn mount system. I would be more interested in the single external system (appears to be same latch as side cases) used with the 25 liter box. Would that be possible or is there a reason you don't offer it that way. Only thing I can see is the above mentioned "fuse" could be bent by a passenger pushing against backrest in an abrupt acceleration or wheely situation which could allow case and possibly even passenger to fall off if said passenger was relying to heavily on backrest support. This would not be a problem for me as I don't plan to install a backrest on case and what few times I might have a passenger they would be forewarned to use hand-grips and not lean against top box to hard.
  9. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    There is not enough room on the bottom of the 34L case to fit our external latch system.
  10. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have mounts in the works for the 1550s that would allow attaching to the stock 2014+ BMW r 1200 gs adventure?
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Not at the moment. It could be done, but it would require extra brackets to overcome the curve around the exhaust, and extra cost, extra weight, and in the end not be stronger or better than the HB side racks we offer for this bike with our complete systems. A much better, cleaner path is to sell the stock racks to offset the cost of the new complete system.
  12. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick answer, I used 3 1550s on my KLR and loved then, indestructible!!!

What is the most typical Caribou three bag arrangement (saddlebags and trunk) on the 2014+ BMW r 1200 gs adventure?

PS. Talk to me about the storm cases, what are the advantages over the std pelicans?
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  14. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I love the crap out of my Caribou cases !!!! luggage.jpg luggage2.jpg

But I have a question. On the inside of one of my lids there are hooks. Are these for a net? If so what net? Are they factory or aftermarket hooks and nets? Whats the deal? lid.jpg
    Signal 13 and ShimrMoon like this.
  15. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Looks like something someone added after getting the cases from us. We don't add anything like that.

-rog
    Hi-De-Ho and craigincali like this.
  16. drewfuspx

drewfuspx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there! So I am wondering if your "Caribou DIY Side Case Mount Kit for Givi Monokey Luggage Racks - Standard Kit" would function on a set of custom aluminum panniers? I've got a really nice set that was made by a local fellow here in YYC, but I'm looking for a way to make them work on my Givi Monokey Racks? I have a V-strom 650. Just curious if you've ever seen your adapter kit put onto something like this the pictures is a set of the Panniers on a KLR we had.

[​IMG]IMG_9291 by Drew Bell, on Flickr

Additionally wondering if you have any promotions on at the moment? The exchange is killer these days!

Thanks!
  17. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Yes, no problem, you just need a 10" x10" flat area on the back of the pannier. Customers attach all kinds of things to the rack this way. Sorry but no promotions going on. Thank you.

-roger
  18. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I checked he spare parts page and didn't see what I was looking for. Looking to get a couple spare 1/4 turn fasteners for my G650GS 1520 kit that I picked up probably in 2011 or 2012. It looks like you have changed to an external lockdown instead of the internal fasteners since then.

Thanks
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  20. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    IMHO best soft bags on the market the Caribou love them. I used the DIY mounting IE happy trails puck kit. Rock solid mounted, cavernous, robust, H2o and dust proof, simple design (not a whole lot to go wrong and or fail)
    [​IMG]
    PYG RYDR likes this.