New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Great photo!
  2. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll email soon.
  3. Asukal in Saigon

Asukal in Saigon Samurai in Vietnam

Oddometer:
    hi, how about my mod with Caribou kits?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    John Fry likes this.
  4. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    I probably should not be asking this, but what do you keep in that aluminum box?
  5. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, our top case latch system is designed for a horizontal position, not really designed for the vertical position you have on the aluminum box. I would keep an eye on it.

Thank you.
  6. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are those side cases 35L? They appear to be too wide for the 25L. Thanks...
  7. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Those are 36L Pelican 1440 cases in that photo above. We don't offer those, but your could get a set elsewhere and then use our DIY kit compatible with Hepco Becker side racks. We found the 1440 to be relatively heavy and wide compared to our other cases, and a bit expensive too.
  8. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Announcing our side luggage systems for the 2017 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, all of the products may be found here... http://cariboucases.com/What-Fits-My-Bike/Suzuki-V-Strom-DL650-2017-and-newer/

The rear top cases will follow shortly, we have a nice steel brace that will provide a lot more strength to the OEM plastic rear tail rack.

And while you are on our site, check out our new lower pricing on many items as we lead up to the holidays!

Thank you!

-rog
    craigincali and eakins like this.
  9. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    We discontinued the 36L top loader a couple of years ago, so yes the 25L top loaders are what we have now. We'll edit the video.

Thank you.

-rog
  10. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of specials we are running until the end of this year...

Caribou Inner Bags 25% off! These fit perfectly in our 35 liter cases (Pelican 1550 or Storm iM2600) and they fit with a little extra room around them in our 40L cases... http://cariboucases.com/Accessories-and-Spares/caribou-inner-bags-pair.html

For all of you Vespa maniacs, our Caribou Glove Box Liner for the Vespa GT is 50% off! This product transforms the Vespa GT glovebox into a truly useful storage compartment that holds everything in when you open the door, what a concept!.... http://cariboucases.com/Vespa-Scooter-Products/vespa-gt-gts-gtv-glove-box-liner.html

Happy shopping!

-rog
  11. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Hello Soft Luggage fans,

Cyber Monday deal, all of our Commando Soft Luggage systems 10% off!

35 liter per bag, 70 liters total, waterproof, super tough RF welded 32oz PVC, roll top closure, lightweight and narrow on the bike. Complete systems include side racks and Caribou quick attach/release system (no straps!). Shop now at http://cariboucases.com/COMMANDO-Soft-Luggage/
  12. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    With the new BMW 310GS, Versys 300X and others coming out it looks like this could be the year of the smaller cc adventure bikes. Great way to bring new and younger riders to the sport, and we'll have luggage options for sure. Today on our web site (finally) we have the 2017 and newer Honda CB500X side luggage in 35 liter Pelican and the 35L Commando hybrid soft bags. Please visit www.cariboucases.com for details. Working on the Versys 300X rear top case now, so stay tuned (love the stock rear tail rack on this bike). Thank you and have a great 2018 riding season!

-roger
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  13. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    I just spent several hours (too many in fact) researching forum threads on the motorcycle “hard luggage vs soft luggage” debate. I came away thinking that the back roads and trails must be strewn with mangled, severed legs and feet! Oh the humanity! But, something is not quite right. In 10+ years of selling thousands of sets of Pelican-based side luggage we’ve not gotten one single email or call from a customer with a broken limb. In fact, quite the opposite, we have many customers who claimed our pelican cases actually prevented both bodily injury and damage to the bike. You can see these in our customer testimonials on our web site here http://cariboucases.com/Caribou-Customer-Testimonials-13.html, and these are just a fraction of the feedback we have gotten over the last decade. So what is going on here? Do the radius corners of our pelican cases and the way we position the cases a little further back and higher help prevent injury? Or is there a fear monger marketing tactic run amok in the land of the internet? Perhaps, but more importantly what is missing is real dialog that benefits our sport, especially for new riders. In all of the threads I poured through on ADVrider and many other sites, not one single instance was “riding technique” mentioned along with “broken, mangled legs.” I am amazed that something so painfully obvious and critically important is not discussed at all. So what exactly is the riding technique that minimizes crashes and injury when riding a big dual sport/adventure touring bike on rough terrain? Conversely, what is the worst riding technique whether you have hard cases, soft bags, or none at all? Ok, I am not exactly an MSF course instructor or a professional riding coach, but I have learned a few things over the years as I am sure many of you have. Perhaps the best example of how to ride is to watch this guy…….

Notice something? His feet are always on the pegs, and he is almost always standing with knees slightly bent. He never puts his foot out to “dab” or lets his feet dangle off the pegs until he comes to a stop, and he doesn’t even have luggage on there. The standing riding technique provides huge advantages. First and most obvious is that your legs and feet are not prone being up higher on the pegs. Your initial reaction to loss of control may be to put your foot out (as if you are going to stop or influence a rolling 500lb motorcycle from falling over), but your foot is just going to be thrown backward violently. This kind of natural human reaction is what keeps podiatrists in big houses and fancy cars. Another major advantage of standing on the pegs is that your body weight (force) on the bike is lower and more free moving than when seated. Imagine a 180lb (give or take) lead weight positioned up high and stationary in the seat, and then imagine that same weight sitting low on the pegs. Its physics, and I know it is a little hard to wrap you head around it, but you want the force of your body weight on the bike placed as low as possible, and that is on the pegs. You also can move your body weight around while standing, a little to one side or the other, and forward or back. This allows you to maneuver the bike as if you are 100x stronger than you actually are, it is really incredible how much you can toss a big bike around if you are standing and moving your weight around in the air. Your likelihood of crashing is greatly reduced. Now if the bike does go down and you are standing on the pegs you are going to have a far better chance of getting your leg out of there on the way down. In fact, while sitting and “dabbing” you are pretty much guaranteed to have your leg or foot crushed under the bike as it falls. Those of us with long legs have a nearly irresistible tendency to put our foot down and dab, and it is not easy to retrain our brain from our dirt bike days, but the consequences on a big dual sport/adventure bike even without luggage are quite painful and expensive. Finally, while standing on the pegs, you can see the trail surface up ahead far better, and you will know precisely when that big boulder or stump will hit your front tire. The downside of standing? It is tiring. But the more you do it the more your body will get conditioned to it and the easier it will get.

Now you are going to think “he’s just trying to sell more Pelican cases” and you would be partially right, except that we also sell soft side luggage and we are pretty happy no matter what one you get. Look, I am not preaching or exercising some kind of “giving back” virtuous bullshit here. But man, I am seeing a huge and glaring omission of proper riding technique dialog that is specific to big dual sport/adventure touring, especially in the luggage discussion threads. I feel someone has to bring it up, and I am probably going to catch hell for doing it, but there it is, and I hope the word spreads a little. As the old timer’s say, “stand up or fall down.” Have a safe, fun, and exhilarating riding season.

-rog

P.S. Examples of how not to ride a dual sport, watch the legs...
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright Mr. Caribou man, might you please offer some advice regarding a possible purchase? I have a 1st Gen FZ1 with Givi luggage. It is the rather small 22ltr cases which are great for the city but on the small side for travelling. I was looking at your 35ltr Pelican options and the Commando soft and then it hit me...I think my exhaust is too high to work with either of these.

Here's a couple of pictures...any chance you can tell if your luggage will work or is the exhaust going to hit the bottom of it? Thanks very much.

givi1.jpg
    givi2.jpg
  15. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    RD400racer,

For the 35L pelican system, you'll need 3-4" from the bottom of the side rack tube to the top of the muffler, and for the Commando soft bags you'll need 4-5".

-rog
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Thank you sir, I'll measure when I get home...I think it's going to be REAL close!
  17. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  18. Cadriel

Cadriel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an old monoprice case, very similar to a pelican. I didn't want to invest in a new Pelican case upfront, so decided to go via the CaribouCases DIY path, knowing that I could upgrade cases later.

So, I snagged an Alt-Rider rack - and the deluxe CaribouCases DIY kit. The lock for the case itself took some adjustments due to the differences in cases - but it otherwise was a smooth process.

The result has been fantastic, I'm super happy. Thanks @CaribouCases !
  19. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
  20. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Attention Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports model owners in the Denver/Boulder Colorado area, we need a bike for top case design/fitting/photos. If you want a screaming deal on a Caribou top case in exchange for using your bike for a couple of hours please send me a PM. Adventure Sports model only please. Thank you!