New Pelican-based Luggage System

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CaribouCases, Oct 28, 2005.

1. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Happy New YEAR!

That makes sense, and yeah... 4lbs up high would be a nice reduction ... more ways to spend $$$ :lol3

It does not seem like they tried to match the dimensions of the "regular" cases when the designed the air series....
    I wonder why ... just to offer more variety? the 1555 is not really very close to the 1550 ...
  2. BigBikeMike

BigBikeMike Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @CaribouCases - Any chance your topcase setup has been tested on the 890 Adventure R? I managed to score a Rally and would really love this as an option for secure storage in-town with a luggage plate underneath I can use when I'm camping/ADV. I don't see any mention of 890 on your site, only 790. Fingers crossed!!!!
  3. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Any chance you could post a pic with a bird's eye view of the stock tail rack on the 890?
  4. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for your feedback. I will look into the 1507 Air case some more, especially regarding any molded protrusions on the case bottom. From your work on other Pelican cases have you found the cases to be weakened at all if these protrusions are ground or planed off?
    Thanks again.
  5. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

Not a problem on the 1550 or 1520 cases, or any of the original Pelican cases. However on the Storm cases the protrusions on the back are thin and you would go right through the case when trying to grind them down (molded-in protrusions outside are indentations on the inside) The Air cases are going to also have this problem I think.
  6. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bolted a Storm case to a rear luggage rack and placed rubber washers between the case and the rack to take up the space of the protrusions and to seal around the bolts to insure water couldn't leak in through the holes I drilled in the bottom of the case.
    JRWooden likes this.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Good plan!
    On a prior bike I had a case that was going to be permanently mounted and was able to find a scrap of closed cell neoprene foam and cut it to match the backing plate then thru-bolted it with Nylock nuts that were not cranked quite all the way downn.
    It worked out well.
  8. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy, so far, with Caribou Pelicans for my new to me 2013 F800GS.

I found the lids have built-in internal screw mounts, 1 in each corner of the lid. #8 x 1/2" panhead screws fit perfectly. Using these, I added a 12"×12" bungee net to the inside of each lid.

Roger, not sure if you sell kits for this. If not, its something to consider.
  9. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for building out products for the 2020+ VStrom 1050 models. Haven't seen much vendor support at all yet for the new models, and it's nice to see somebody give the Stroms a little love in this era of Tenere & Africa Twin everything.
  10. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    You are most welcome AKStrom. We still need to do the top case mount for the 1050 Strom, so anyone out there in Colorado with this bike should give us a call or email sales@cariboucases.com and we'll get it done!
  11. carlrf

carlrf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CaribouCases
    Just brought home a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports, whew that's a mouthful.
    Anyway I am shopping side cases and mounts. Have discounted factory boxes for my use and leaning toward the Carabou 35 liter kit for my bike.
    My question is, how are the 2016, 2017 mounts/kits different from 2018 and later?