New Rev'it Offtrack jacket/pants - Follow for review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DJSponge, Mar 21, 2019.

1. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just placed an order for the new Rev'it Offtrack jacket and pants. I plan to wear this combo on my upcoming trip to Death Valley for the nOObs Rally next weekend. I think it will be a near-perfect suit for the riding conditions at DV; my hope is that this suit will also work well for touring and commuting. Admittedly, I am giving up some touring tick boxes with this setup: only 450d/600d fabric, exposed mesh that can't be covered, no handwarmer pockets on the jacket, and drop liner system as apposed to a laminated setup which adds fiddle factor. The pros/cons of liners vs. overshell vs. laminate are well documented and debated; in the past, I have always preferred laminated gear, as I loathe messing with liners while on the road. However, given that I'm venturing into the dirt arena and will be working harder on the bike, I think I will really appreciate the ability of to remove the liners and get some serious venting going.

I am an admitted Rev'it fan, having owned a lot of different kit over the years. I currently have 4 other Rev'it jackets hanging in the gear locker:

- Circa 2000 Rev'it textile mesh jacket
    - Circa 2005 Rev'it Air textile jacket
    - Circa 2010 Rev'it Ignition 2 leather jacket
    - Circa 2013 Rev'it Sand 2 jacket

I previously owned the Rev'it Horizon jacket/pants, which I really liked a lot. I reviewed them when they first came out on a thread here: Rev'it Horizon Jacket and Pant Thread

The Horizon set was perfect for the Pacific Northwest, and I logged 10,000 miles or so in the set without any glaring issues. The only concession was some breathability; however, I run cold and I never really felt like I was too hot in them, even at 102F, as long as I was moving. Gore-tex would have been a bit better, but not everyone needs/wants to drop that much coin on riding gear. I'm all about bang for buck!

I've also worn Aerostich gear (Roadcrafter, Darien), as well as Tiez Motorsports gear (V4 Lombard and the Air Shell, still have the Air Shell).

So, since deciding to get in the dirt, I felt I needed a more flexible setup. I contacted Dennis (@Motodisiac) at Beach Moto to see if he could get me a set by next week. He was more than accommodating, shipped them out same day, and they should be here on Tuesday, just in time for my departure on Wednesday. I love Revzilla but their shipping takes what feels like forever to get to WA state. Beach Moto is in So Cal, and Dennis is a fellow Ducatisa and Multi rider. I also love supporting small business, and he has always come through for me!

I ordered the tan camo jacket and black pants:

[​IMG]

I think it is a really cool color combo, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh and logging some miles next week. Most importantly, getting out to DV and playing in the dirt!

Stay tuned for updates...

2. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    FYI yellow print is almost impossible to read, so I don't know what you had to say.
  3. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it’s basically the Sand, but with mesh panels instead of only zip vents eh?
  4. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    Haha, yep. That was unintentional, I was trying to highlight one word...fixed it!
  5. ElPolloDiablo

ElPolloDiablo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, how do you like the Off track so far? Really curious, since i'm also thinking about the Off track, but i'm also thinking about the Sand 3 and de Alpinestars Valparaiso 2. The last one also has the pants in the same sand color as the jacket. I like 1 style.
  6. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    So far...pretty good. Had a bit of a spill in Death Valley a few days ago, so I got a chance to REALLY test the suit. Once I have some clarity, expect a full run down!

View attachment 1608753

Attached Files:

7. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so you know - in EU these jacket and pants would not even be considered motorcycle apparel. The statement on Rev'it's site that they are "Certified CE-Level 2 according to the new norm EN1621-1:2012" is totally misleading. First of all the new norm is prEN 17092-1:2017, not the one quoted by Rev'It. Second they have only certified the protecting pads, not the garments as a whole, as required by the current regulation.

The fact that they quote old norms and limited certification leads me to believe that they failed to receive a protection class that would justify the premium price of their ... leisure outdoors clothes. I refuse to keep spending money on "protective" equipment the manufacturer of which spent way more on marketing than on R&D. I expect real protection, not fancy advertising.
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if Rev'it has started certifying their latest stuff IAW prEN17092, but I have seen suits of similar denier polyester make it to class "A" at least, which is the urban/30kph speed rating.

EN1621:2012 is still the latest rating for protective pads, which falls under the umbrella of the overarching cert for MPE.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And, then you have to wonder how much the latest standard has been dumbed down compared to the old..
  10. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is actually exactly the opposite - most, if not all, of the premium brands seem to get rather mediocre ratings under the new regulation. As a consequence some of them have actually decided that they are more of a fashion brand than a protective equipment manufacturers - something that we have already somewhat suspected :-)))
    PomInOz_ likes this.
  11. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    All right gang, just an update on the Offtrack jacket/pant, now that I have regained the ability to type with two hands. The gear arrived the day before my departure to Death Valley for the 2019 nOObs rALLy from Dennis at Beach Moto. I have to give Dennis another shout out...I called them up on a Monday, and I had the gear 2-days later via UPS. Dennis held the UPS truck at the store to ensure he had my shipping details correct before throwing them on the truck. Top notch, thank you!

Rolls and I left early and started our trip South with clear skies and 40 degrees. I had the waterproof liners in, and the stock insulation liner in the pants. For the jacket, I had my heated liner in. Throughout the first day, temps ranged from 32 to 55 degrees, and we found ourselves in numerous phases of water - hail, sleet, snow, fog, and...rain. The gear worked great, with a couple of concessions...

FIT/STYLE: Jacket/Pants both fit me really well. Cut is less boxy than the Sand 2 jacket I have, and was about the same as the original Horizon set I had. The Denier face fabric feels a touch lighter than both of those though, which is a definite trade-off. I was comfortable out of the box, no break-in required. However, I suspect the lower D wouldn't fare was well sliding down the tarmac at 80mph. FWIW, I chose the tan camo jacket, and I really like the look. From a small distance, it just looks tan. Close inspection reveals the subtle camo pattern. It works in the desert, and I appreciate the fact it just looks a little different than most other offerings. YMMV. As I said, cut is a bit more euro than the Sand series, which I like.

PERFORMANCE: Compared to my last full Rev'it suit (Horizon), the Offtrack was definitely a little colder. This was mostly due to the inability to totally shut down the wind coming through the 3D mesh in the jacket. However, this setup is not intended for 32 degrees at 80mph, so you can't expect a free lunch. With my heated jacket running, I was still toasty warm. For me, without a heated liner, I would peg the jacket good for a lower limit of about 40 degrees with both stock liners in. Most importantly, I stayed completely dry. The factory fresh DWR shed off the initial rain, and the jacket never did soak though. I would approximate the longest stretch of time we spent in the rain was 45 min to an hour; hardly a true test. But, so far so good.

Day 2 started in Panamint Valley at sunrise. It was cool, probably 50 degrees. However, it quickly warmed up to the mid-70's. I kept the rain liners in, but pulled the insulation. This ended up just about perfect for the temps and conditions. We were on fairly tame trails, I was on the pegs, but wasn't working super hard or anything. I never felt clammy or sweaty with the waterproofs underneath. Again, these were very benign conditions, but I did get some miles in! At least, until I bit it and broke some bones...which brings me to the last set of categorical thoughts:

CRASH PROTECTION: Adequate for most riders. I hit the dirt at about 40mph after losing the front wheel in a sandy rut. I took the brunt of the fall on my left shoulder/head, and slid probably 20 feet before stopping. It knocked the wind out of me, but I stayed conscious throughout. After catching my breath, I got up and immediately felt some pain on my left side. After pulling the jacket off, I could feel my collarbone sticking out (not compounded, thankfully). I knew it was toast. It was later determined that I also had 3 broken ribs and a few others with some hairline fractures. To be fair to the gear, I hit the ground pretty hard, and I had no chest/clavicle protection on. I think the Rev'it chest protectors might have saved my ribs a bit, but who knows. I don't fault the Rev'it gear at all. It held up fine. After dusting it off, you would be hard pressed to even tell it's been sliding in the dirt. My take away: For truly spirited riding, dedicated enduro/motocross protection is probably not a bad call. Also, better riding skill would've prevented the wipeout, so some practice and/or training on my dirt skills are probably the best upgrade here.

BL - Next up will be a run up the ALCAN by way of Banff/Jasper in July, and right now I'm planning on wearing the Offtrack suit. I think the more summer oriented nature will be really nice when it's over 80 degrees, and I'm looking forward to testing this setup in hotter climates. I know now that I'm fine with this setup down to freezing, so I don't foresee any issues.
    ex-xt, NSFW, Don03st and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My pants and jacket are revit. I really like their stuff
  13. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters much, but this suit seems to hit the nail on the head for me-order placed!
  14. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    @Don03st Feel free to throw your thoughts on this thread...I've been off the bike for a few weeks due to some broken bones. However, I'm about to get back into the swing of it, and should be putting some miles on the Offtrack suit again very soon. I still really like the camo jacket color scheme, haven't seen anything similar out there!
  15. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do-I didn't want to step on toes as it's not my thread.
    I've only been on the bike with it a few rides as the weather has been awful. Its been Aerostich on the RT weather, BUT so far...

Pro's;
    Good lookin'! I bought the Green jacket/ black pants combo
    Really does move the air through the mesh area
    Very light weight in all respects- should be great in summer
    Nice Euro/slim fit

Con's
    Very high fiddle factor if you want to run all the liners. I knew this going in and it doesn't matter to me because I wouldn't try to push the temps past the waterproof liner anyway ( you can also add the puffy insulation liner inside the h2O liner! No flippin' way).
  16. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    Been riding with the Offtrack kit now for a few months. Temps are warming up here in the PNW, and the set flows air really well. The liners are fiddly, but that was a known quantity. I also picked up a Ridge GTX jacket from Dennis @ Beachmoto last week...I'm thinking I will wear that on the Alaska trip in a few weeks...decisions! I'll post up a review of the Ridge in a different thread. It's a completely different animal.
    Don03st likes this.
  17. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Any updates from owners, as temps should be warm by now?
  18. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a trip down to FL on my UGS with the suit on and was completely satisfied with it in the heat. The only criticism is about the liners, as in I wouldn't ever really use them. I threw a rain suit over the top for wet weather. Great suit for the heat.
    TIGERRIDER007 likes this.
  19. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    Got it, so in summary this suit does well in warm weather...now, if I went up a size for a little room is there enough for a Gerbing liner when the temperature gets cold, and speculate as to how effective it might be with those mesh panels? I'm in Georgia where it gets cold but maybe 2 or 3 months of the year, I'm trying to decide between the Offtrack and the Sand 3. I believe DJSponge ran an electric liner. Thank you.
  20. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the pants you can just zip the vents closed, of course. But the jacket gets a lot of wind through it, so think of it as trying to ride with a mesh jacket on a cold day. A heated jacket would have its work cut out for it but its doable. Depends on what cold is to you I s'pose.
    TIGERRIDER007 likes this.