New Ride for a newby

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Bearhawk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bearhawk

Bearhawk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All knowing adventure riders! I come before you seeking knowledge and understanding! Enlighten a newby and lead me into the glorious extasy known as adventure riding. My quest is to find the perfect beginners ride. Something that will keep up with all of you, yet won't set the pavement on fire. Something reliable, yet inexpensive.
    Bearhawk in Alaska
  2. Mighty Kentor

Mighty Kentor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 You're such a newb, you don't know it's spelled newbie!!!
  3. Mighty Kentor

Mighty Kentor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just kidding!

Buy a Kawasaki KLR if you want to do more off road, a Suzuki DL650 if you want to do more on road.

How do you plan to ride?
  4. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    In my honest opinion the KLR is the best "value retaining" and functional bike out there for new and old riders. That is for Alaska riding. Of course there are better bikes, and of course bikes, not as valuable (politically correct answer). Instead of using the term, shitty scooters!:topes

I have ridden a couple and like the handling, the weight and after slapping one on the ground,,the quality. The seat is a bit lacking for my posterior (another politically correct name). Good fuel mileage, great torque and amazing highway performance. 80mph all day long didn't alter it's stellar performance. :ricky

I also like the Suzuki 650 VStrom. Yet it is expensive and lacks ground clearance. :wings
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I put about 16k km on a KLR last year and will happily give two thumbs up.

About the only thing that's going to drag my sorry ass offa that thing, is
    if they bring in the KLE650.

My friend rides a DR650, and is also very happy with it.

Both bikes have had flawless reliabllity.

I'd say, wherever you get the best deal, just buy it, and ride.
  6. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Where ya gonna ride the bike; off road, just street? How tall are ya?

If yur look'n dual sport, the DR650 or KLR 650 are yur best bets. They don't cost too much and they will travel well enough for a n00b on road and off.
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned a KLR for the last 6 years, its a A13. The KLR has a loyal following of owners, lots of parts and advice available on the net. You should be a bit tall for any of these bikes and the KLR is not any different. The KLR is more of a street bike than the DR or the XR Honda. The Honda is more of a dirt bike and the DR is more inbetween.

A lot depends on where your going to ride and what you want to compromise. You can't have it all. You should buy a bike that will keep up with your riding buddies.