New Rider in Columbus, NE

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by TDFbound, Mar 5, 2021.

1. TDFbound

TDFbound n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello! First post on the site, brand new noob here. I just bought my first bike in quite some years, and certainly my first bike intended for dirt. 2007 Honda XR650L, almost bone stock except for part of the smog equipment removed from the bike. I bought a good helmet and some cheap gloves, but that's all I've got for now. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to off road riding or carbureted equipment, so this should be quite the learning experience. I bought this bike with visions of riding off across the sandhills and into the Colorado mountains for some short camping trips, and for zipping around all these dirt and gravel farm roads. I'm not from here so this is all new terrain to me.

Are there many riders around the Omaha/Lincoln area (I am about an hour west of these)? I work every other weekend but may be able to play motorcycles with any locals willing to put up with my dumb questions and help me get over my fear of gravel.

Took the bike out for its first ride today to get a license plate for it- slower than I thought it would be, definitely 'buzzy' (my butt went partly numb from the vibrations after only half an hour), and it feels quite small and cramped. I'll definitely have to do a ton of research and tinkering to get it to fit and feel right, as I really want to be able to do long trips on this bike. As much as bikes like the Versys 650 may have been a better high mileage bike, I couldn't bring myself to give up the perceived off-road advantage of the XR650L.

I hope I can meet up with some more experienced riders soon, now that the weather is looking nice! Thanks in advance for everything, I hope I'll one day have some of my own tips, tricks, and advice to give.
    NOPLCLKNEB likes this.
  2. horsinaround

horsinaround Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride tomorrow starting in Gothenburg and going thru Callaway and back. I think about 5 of us are going. Around 100-125 miles. If you do Facebook join up on Nebraska dual sport riders. Lots of rides.
    NOPLCLKNEB, TDFbound and Tmaximusv like this.
  3. horsinaround

horsinaround Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in the central part of the state. There are a lot of Omaha/Lincoln guys on the ndsr group.
  4. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Halsey is a great place to play.
    TDFbound likes this.
  5. TDFbound

TDFbound n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll have to make it out to the Halsey area sometime soon, looks fun!
  6. Eats Dirt

Eats Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. NOPLCLKNEB

NOPLCLKNEB Da-Sandnapper

Oddometer:
  8. NOPLCLKNEB

NOPLCLKNEB Da-Sandnapper

Oddometer:
    TDFbound. Great to see you joined NDSR. I live in Grand Island and ride a lot up around St Paul and also Halsey at the Nebraska National Forest. We are riding Gothenburg tomorrow. More than welcome to join us.
  9. NOPLCLKNEB

NOPLCLKNEB Da-Sandnapper

Oddometer:

The guy that just blew by me on the CRF 250L is leading the ride at Gothenburg tomorrow.
  10. TDFbound

TDFbound n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a lot of fun! I've got a couple things to sort out on the bike before subjecting a group to whatever malfunction is certain to happen. I surely hope to be out and about sooner than later! Be safe out there.