New rider

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by chad6767, Jun 4, 2020.

1. chad6767

chad6767 n00b

Oddometer:
    What are some must haves for new riders
  2. naruse

naruse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gear, all of it
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ability to use the search window. It has all been discussed before, much of it many times over the years.
    Scott_PDX likes this.
  4. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

John
    Kerrizor likes this.
  5. penguinsfan82

penguinsfan82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A motorcycle helps :)
    Gootch, Apple Jam, Kerrizor and 3 others like this.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Chad -

I’m pretty much an ATGATT guy (All The Gear All The Time) so I would tend to agree with the advice of “all of it” but I realize that might be overwhelming to a noob both from a technical and a budgetary sense. The key thing to remember about technical gear is that it’s not for when you’re on the bike or even when you’re at the coffee shop (I know I’ll get some argument here) it’s for when you unexpectedly aren’t on the bike anymore. Therefore, when selecting gear look for function over form.

With that said, the absolute must haves are:

helmet - good snug fit. I recommend a full face or modular but to each his own.

gloves - this is an absolute must. I took a slide on pavement on my mountain bike commuting to work. Showed up with the heels of my hands fully exposed. Made it difficult to hold a hammer. Now I always wear gloves - your hands are the first thing you subconsciously try to protect yourself with. I am not a fan of the “shorties” as they can peel off.

technical jacket - lots of options in all budget ranges.

Boots - must be over the ankle. If you have a pair of work boots these can suffice but they will end up with a shifter mark on the left toe and maybe some exhaust burns depending on the bike.

You can get away with jeans in the short term but I do recommend moto specific pants in the long term. I have both Adventure type pants that are very comfortable and moto jeans which I also like albeit they are fully Kevlar lined so a little heavy and hot. Don’t wear them in the warmer months.

not sure how new you are or what type of bike you are riding. Stylistically you’ll want to roughly match your gear to the type of riding - i.e. a longer adventure jacket doesn’t work so well on a sport bike. But choose appropriately and if cost is an issue the Flea Market is a great place to find good used gear.
    dammitdave, naruse, Kerrizor and 2 others like this.
  7. WolfNman

WolfNman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy wins
    naruse likes this.
  8. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    A new rider should prioritize quality protective gear. Most everyone goes down sooner or later on the street. Everyone falls in the dirt occasionally. Good protective gear has saved me a trip to the hospital at least 3 times over about 10 years. Off-road type boots are really a necessity for dirt to prevent foot and leg injuries. Look for gear with good protective pads like 3DO or with thick dense foam.

In my experience, Web Bike world is a good web site to get unbiased reviews and to learn about what to look for when buying gear.
    naruse likes this.
  9. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    This is easy.
    Do you want to know how to make your bike faster? How to make it carve those canyons smoother? Brake on a dime? And accelerate like no one’s business?
    Well, I’ve got the answer.... TRAINING

please please please take some riding courses, read a book on proficient riding, watch an hour or two of YouTube videos (and actually pay attention).

Second to that, get gear... and get good gear. You can find some good stuff on Craigslist and on here if money is tight. It may take a while... but it’ll come.

welcome to the riding world, your life is about to get a ton better... I mean it. Ride safe, ride smart, then you can ride fast.
  10. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the MSF course, or some such other certified rider training.
    naruse likes this.
  11. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    training,
  12. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Arms.

* A more specific question along with a little background might get you more relevant answers. Good luck out there.
  13. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Experience...it's what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Would that be bare arms or bear arms. And is it a right? Or was it left?
    So many questions! :confused
  15. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    2 wheels = 2 beers,,,no more, no less.
    Show up at WetFest,,skamokawa
    Mista Vern likes this.
  16. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Umm,...personality?
    Mista Vern and PaulBarton like this.
  17. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    If you are sincere, don't be put off by some of the responses here. Your first post here seems a bit like you are trolling. If you have genuine questions and interests to discuss, go ahead and enquire. There are lots of people here who will be happy to help out.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  18. DirtyTrails

DirtyTrails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A girlfriend may put a damper on motorcycle must haves.

One of my routes when I ride my road bike (pedal) is Springwater trail from Clackamas to Portland and back. Every once in a while I'll encounter this dude with no arms riding his bike. He was born in Chernobyl one year after that fucking disaster. His bike has a bar from the steering head up to his shoulders to lean against. He's fast and is a challenge to catch and pass. When I pass him I think about raising my arms in victory, but don't.

I raced the Dick Jagow GP at Washougal in about 2010. It was wet and muddy. I was slowly catching this rider in a sloppy, slippery section. When I passed him I looked over and he only one arm on the throttle side. If I took my arm off the bar to wave, I would have crashed. I'm still amazed at how fast he was riding through the mud with one arm.
  19. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Attend the biggest motorcycle events, and as many that you can to see and experience the vast motorcycles and gear used.
    You don't say if you want to ride Adventure bikes or Street bikes.
    Safest is to start riding dirt on a small bike you can throw around and crash on and not get intimated by it, and not get run over by a PU ass hat driver.
    A small bike is easer to maintain and change tires on, which is a skill you need to learn if you want to ride adventure bikes.
    A summer spent on a small dirt bike will give a great start to know the in's and outs of motorcycling.
    A good starter bike is a Honda XR100 / CRF100 that can be bought in good used condition for $1000 and sold the next year for $1000.
    Lot of training vidios out there and classes.
    After you get a year or more of seat time, and a bigger bike, go do an established Dual Sport Ride like the Black Dog out of Hood River to see what all the hype is about.

Cheers !
  20. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    dammitdave likes this.