New Rukka Exegal

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KARL_ERIK, Apr 3, 2019.

1. KARL_ERIK

KARL_ERIK n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I just got me a Rukka jacket for the first time, I need one that would work more all year around.
    I havent used it yet on the road, just testing it at home for a few days to decide if I should keep it or not.
    Anyone else who has this modell and can give me some pointers how you get along with it?

Its sturdy built to say the least, built like a tank, I found the liner abit tricky where what I wear under when putting it on. It tend to get stuck but thats not realy an issue for me because I remove it anyway and use other layers under it. I imagine also that with some time, it will also feel less restricted to move around in?

What I like about it is that its more stealth looking, cleaner then some prevoius models where there was abit to much going on for my taste and purpous of use. I find the length to be spot on. Not a full long Adventure style jacket but more sporty looking and I intend to also use it when I ride my GSXR 600 Sportbike I commute on.

Here some pics, feel free to comment any thoughts you may have about this jacket, Rukka in general and what other options to look for. They aint cheap to say the least but hopefully worth it in the long run? I also got a deal and didnt pay the full price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Pharz

Pharz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice suit! My Rukka suit has served me very well for nearly 3 years now. Daily usage in any kind of weather and a total of 150K km's.

Have been looking at the Exegal as a replacement because it has more vents than my suit so it will be better suited for warmer days.
    Steve Glenn likes this.
  3. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only four vents ?
    Looks like you will suffer on warmer days...
  4. Pharz

Pharz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Northern Europe (in my case) is not as hot as Singapore.
    But also, last year it was 38C (100F) and when I used my mesh jacket it was like riding through an oven. My laminated jacket kept me cooler with all vents open. Though this was a highway commute and certainly not a ride I had to work and build up a sweat.
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    My wife an I both have Rukka suits, she has the armena and I have the armas. This suit looks comparable to her armena. I have a lot of gear so I will give my general impressions of the Rukka stuff in comparison to other gear.

I think Rukka nailed the quality and fit and finish on their suits. Its better than anything else I have. There is always a trade off between extreme water proofness and venting, and my armas is definitely not a warm weather suit. This suit looks like it tries to split the difference, but I would say is still not really a warm weather set up. The liners in Rukka gear are a bit of a pain to put in, but once in really are part of the suit. They work well, but I would use them on a seasonal basis, not a day to day thing. From a purely safety standpoint I do not think that Rukka is better than other quality gear, although it is comparable. I put a hit-air vest over my Armas for a pretty bombproof set-up. The definite upside of the Rukka gear is the fit and finish. Compared to gear like Aerostich and Motoport it is miles ahead. The downside of Rukka stuff is the price. Its expensive for what it is, even if it is good. My wife says that Rukka is finnish for fucking expensive.

On balance, if I could keep only one suit - Aerostich one piece, Motoport kevlar mesh set up, Aerostich transit, Vanson leathers or the Rukka, I would keep the Rukka. However, at least with the Armas, I would be sweating balls in the summer.
    Coach Vader and Oeths like this.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klim and soon Held (new Atacama suit) have both shown that it's possible to combine Gore Pro waterproofing with tons of vents. Why literally every single other Euro mfr is opposed to this concept is completely beyond me.

Rukka stuff is also massively overpriced for the abrasion resistance you're getting. Basic Gore Pro 4-600d body with Armacor (all of 2% kevlar! amazing!) patches, even in their top end stuff. I have yet to see any of their gear certified to the latest prEN standard for motorcycle protective equipment, but I doubt it'll be any better rated then stuff half the price.

Nicely finished and detailed, with lovely liners.
    Oeths likes this.
  7. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    Because vents leak.

Also I have a 7 year old ArmaS jacket. It has never leaked. Worth EVERY penny I paid for it.
    SpiceWeasel likes this.
  8. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly, look at the latest Dainese Goretex jacket Antartica, 3 vents for USD1499??
    Seriously overpriced jacket..
  9. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does your Armas jacket have any vents? If so, do they leak? If so, why do you still tolerate it? If not...er...don't vents leak? When will the leaking start? I've got about 140,000 miles on a Klim Latitude that has a total of maybe 90" of zippered vent in total (I'm guessing), and I've yet to get a drop of water inside the jacket. The longest rain exposure I've had in it was roughly 650 miles during the 2017 VOID rally, riding in the remnants of a hurricane (strong, steady, hard rain the entire time).

Don't worry, these are rhetorical questions, and I'm just razzin' ya. It is true that _eventually_, nothing is waterproof. However, when properly cared-for, modern high quality waterproof zippers are in fact waterproof, held to any reasonable standard. There is no good reason that other OEMs don't try harder in the vent department. There is a real reason though, and it's money. High end waterproof zippers are expensive, and including lots of them in a well-engineered way is also expensive.
  10. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought you mentioned jacket for whole year round usage?
    If that is the case then this jacket is more for 3 seasons rather than 4 seasons.
    Singapore average day time temperature is around 33-35C, i wear Klim Kodiak here and i got no problem with the heat except stop and go traffic.
  11. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rukka holds very close to the two jacket philosophy. Buy a GorePro jacket for cooler weather and rainproofing, and one of their AFT jackets for hot.

RE: vents leaking. I have a Spidi Globetracker that has massive chest panel vents, with the normal YKK water resistant zippers (but thoughtfully designed gutters behind). Even in 2+hrs of sleet literally coating my chest, no leaks. Like DDT said, when designed properly it's a non-issue. Lack of ventign on the other hand is a huge issue.
    SpiceWeasel likes this.
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The Rev'it Dominator has 8 vents on the front and two in the back. Though the arm vents are poorly executed. Plus a good amount of superfabric on the shoulder/arms. It's a great jacket IMO. Of course I didn't pay close to MSRP for it either but, I think it's often overlooked. Perhaps because of the price.

Agree with you on the Rukka jackets.
    levain likes this.
  13. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    The ArmaS has two small vents one on each collarbone. I have a Klim Badlands Pro, Klim Traverse, BMW Comfortshell, Revit CP Pro. Only the Rukka doesn't leak in all day rain...but the Badlands is pretty good. So the most expensive jackets work the best. Interesting concept.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your experience may also differ depending on the bike you're riding and how it shapes the wind around you.

The Traverse is an off-road focused jacket made of 2 layer Performance Shell, not Pro Shell. The Comfortshell uses c_change which has its own series of issues wrt waterproofing (primarily it has a lower water column then the very top stuff). I'm not sure what a CP Pro is.

You could toss a good Gore Paclite/ProShell/etc hiking jacket over top a mesh jacket and be just as dry as your ArmaS - when you're paying close to a grand for a jacket, I want something that's usable in a broad range of conditions, which should include the budget for nice expensive YKK or similar water resistant/proof zippers.
    Oeths likes this.
  15. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the previous model, the Energator. It's 3 years old and has been an excellent jacket for the UK weather. Recently the main zip failed and the return was fairly straightforward despite having to send it back to Rukka via FC Moto in Germany. 6 weeks to the day they received it and it's on its way back. I'm told if you use a local dealer they'll loan you a jacket, but that wasn't an option for me. While stripping out the armour to return it, I found the D3O back and shoulder pads were destroyed. Splitting and falling apart. I contacted D3O and the pads were replaced in a week. They say they're using a different formulation now so we'll see.

The jacket (and trousers) are absolutely bulletproof. I've had a very minor off (failed to commit to a U-turn) and no damage to me or it. It's never let in a drop of water, and is incredibly comfortable up to about 80f. It's still ok with the vents open when moving, but is horrible if you get caught in traffic. I have a Revit mesh jacket I switch to when it gets hotter than that.

I've owned all sorts of gear at every price-point and this is my favourite by far. I hate waterproof liners so decided to go with a Gortex bonded jacket and haven't regretted it. I've been using an old Revit Cayenne Pro while the Rukka was away, and stopping to put on waterproofs is a pain in the arse.

What don't I like? The inner cuff on the jacket means you can't easily route the cables for heated gloves but that's about it.

I like having the breast pockets on mine; they're great for credit cars (for tolls etc) and I keep a camera in there on a lanyard for quick photo ops. I doubt I'd be willing to give them up.

All in all, unless there's a huge improvement in the new jacket, I'd suggest picking up the Energator (also called the Navigator I think) and saving yourself a few hundred bucks.