1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Safety Gear You’re Considering

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by foxtrapper, May 12, 2020.

1. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am interested in the air bag tech. But like above I don't want a tether. For now I will just upgrade the armor that I have for something lighter, more flexxy, and breathable.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Blue tooth ear buds wit fantastic sound, in a small form factor, with active noise cancellation."

Hey Neanderthal, here are some earbuds you might want to take a look at: https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Microphone-Hands-Free-Rechargeable/dp/B06XX123SH

I've been using these Skull Candy buds and love them. They are cheap, but the sound is great. The buds are very slim, so they stay put when you put your helmet on over them and don't put any inward pressure on the ear with the helmet on. And, the on/off/pause switch hangs just below the bottom of my helmet. I position the switch just behind the helmet strap. If I need to pause whatever I'm listening to, it's an easy reach up behind my ear to tap the switch. Just the thing to kill those Cars-For-Kids commercials. Tap again to resume.

They don't have active noise cancellation, but they seal well enough to hear whatever you're playing.
    Traxx and neanderthal like this.
  3. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally sprung for an arai helmet after reading (part of) this webbikeworld advertisement:
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/arai-is-the-helmet-to-buy/
    I was leaning that way anyway because of my long narrow head, but this article pushed me to get the Arai instead of a bell star mips.

I also bought a new mesh jacket and a new leather jacket. The Roland sands jacket has nice flexy CE armor.

I've given up on finding true 3 season gear (lol @ 4 season gear). Instead when I ride long distance I just carry both my leather jacket and a mesh one. The extra jacket can be rolled up and bungied. Makes a decent pillow in the tent, too.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. tarbaby3

tarbaby3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sluagh, I have forgotten numerous times and never set it off. It takes a lot of force at least 60 pounds of force. I have never inflated it, these are very popular in the horse world and I heard from one on my friends that it sounds like a gun going off, and scared her horse out of the ring. She had no injuries on this get off, but she has broken her shoulder, couple of lower vertebra, and tail bone. So it worked for sure for her, she is 55 ish. Some of the guys at the BMW shop played with one of the brands and we tying themselves to post and running and setting it off, said it incredibly tight squeeze and stays inflated for several min. ? I put it on over everything I have for protective gear.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Photosmart

Photosmart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today I bought a Shoei helmet. The old Scorpion needed to be replaced last year, but this will do. I like modulars as I wear glasses and the HJC and Scorpion I've had both went on without removing the glasses. Shoei doesn't, and the Bell I tried on didn't either. However, the Shoei is so much more comfortable than the Scorpion, I don't care about the glasses thing. They go on easy enough after the helmet is on. I can actually feel the air moving across my bald head too. I like the chin strap latch better as well. I never intended to spend that much on a helmet, but trying it on was all it took. There's a pin thing visor too, not sure how big a deal that is, but it came with it.

I would have never ordered it online because there would have been no way to know how much better it was without trying it on. I was going to get an HJC because I think my old HJC was better than the Scorpion.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to find a integrated air bag jacket system. I don't need/want racer boi or ADV boi styling. Think Klim Apex Air that is water proof and has airbags.
  7. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'm using these at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z9FCMRX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    No active noise cancellation either, but they sound amazing!!!!

I have helmet speakers and they will activate the buttons on the ear buds if i tilt my head just right. :lol3
    Traxx likes this.
  8. SMURPH

SMURPH Longtimer

Oddometer:
    That's a great helmet. 4 of my friends and I bought the MX-9 Adv helmet in February. For under $300 CDN, it's a fantastic buy - and fits so well - better than the Shoei Hornet it replaced (for me). For once I didn't have to spoon out the foam at the forehead.
    Motonirvana, Traxx and markk53 like this.
  9. SMURPH

SMURPH Longtimer

Oddometer:
    After years of wanting a pair, I bought some Klim K Fifty 2 riding jeans yesterday. I tried the original ones a few years ago and they were just too baggy for my chicken legs. These ones fit close to what my normal jeans do - and they will probably protect me better than my Carlsbad pants will.... unless it's raining :). Though while my wife is supportive of my safety gear purchases, she asked how much they were and was like 'HOW MUCH???' when i told her. haha. Good thing we have separate accounts. :D
    JaySwear and Traxx like this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems a good fit for the American (you know, more countries on the continent than just the U.S.A.) head shape. My brother, my son-in-law, and I have the MX9 Adventure and find the fit to be excellent.

I just picked up a discounted Fly mesh jacket the other day at Iron Pony. I needed more of a regular jacket style instead of the longer enduro coat. Only $50, pretty decent. Had to spend a bit more since there were no XL size jackets in the $36 bunch.

It is actually cooler to wear the mesh jacket than ride without any jacket and anything other than black is cooler if you have to sit at a traffic light or something.

Just what my wife wanted to see... another motorcycle jacket in the closet.
    Traxx and Gone in 60 like this.
  11. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha Ha! I know the feeling.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the Helite Turtle vest... I have forgotten to unhook several times and have come to the end of my leash without consequence. It take a really good pull to set it off.

I haven't test fired mine, although I do have two spare cartridges. There are a number of youtube video demonstrations so you can see how it works.

The Helite Turtle is a bit heavy, but you don't notice it once it is on. It does block some air flow. It does look like a life preserver. It does block some of your jacket pockets.

I wear it every time I ride (street) and wear it over the rest of my gear. The Turtle has built in back armor, so I pulled the armor from my mesh jackets and 'stitch.

The only issue I haven't dealt with yet is my camelbak. I like to have a pack of ice water during the summer and it's one layer too many... I may have to see if I can fit it under the vest.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m eying the new and as yet unavailable Tech-Air 5 vest. I have a Tech-Air Race vest and suit for track days, but it’s a bit if an ordeal to put on (proper race gear fits tight!) and reflashing the vest to its street algorithms to use in a compatible road jacket Is just time consuming enough to make doing so a hassle.

I like the untethered system and the ability to switch bikes without needing to install anything on each machine. The inflation times are quicker than the CO2 powered systems and the triggering begins the inflation sooner.

Downsides remain cost, lack of breathability, lack of neck protection, the need to monitor and charge, and needing to return the vest to Alpinestars for recharging (at half the cost of a new unit) should it be deployed.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. baekdongmul

baekdongmul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wore the Held-branded Helite vest for my first time last year on a 5,000 mile trip, in temps from 27F to 105F.

Numerous times I climbed off without disconnecting the tether, but always noticed the tug and had no accidental inflations.

As another commenter said, it can feel hot and heavy, but after a day or two it just all got normal. I really appreciated having the extra protection when I rode 20 miles in 6" of snow in Utah, and through busy downtown Pheonix in 105F

Hoping to never test it, but I know enough crash anecdotes to believe it's worth it

The newer ones depend on battery-powered sensors you have to remember to charge, plus they fit snug around the torso like a corset
    Traxx and Suncoaster like this.
  15. Tim McKittrick

Oddometer:
    I received a new Tech-Air 5 and have used it for the past week or so. Sizing is a little odd and I went with the XL based on the Alpinestars sizing chart. I suspect a L would fit me and be a little snug- the XL is just a little loose but will allow me to wear a sweater or my heated vest underneath.

The 5 is MUCH lighter than the previous race vest, and it boots up and arms itself without the occasional fuss and bother of the Race vest when in "Street" configuration. The charge ports are easier to access and the vest comes with a magnetic charge clip that make hooking it up a snap. You no longer have to switch the system on with a toggle as the Race vest requires- just zip it up and go. In all the user interface part is much better and using the vest is so unremarkable that the only potential downside will be in remembering to charge it. It is supposed to be good for 30 hours of active use, so a tour of a few days should be possible without the need for a charge- we all seem to be able to remember to charge our phones on a more frequent basis, so I suspect it will become a 2nd nature thing for anyone who adopts this vest.

The associated phone app will help you keep tabs on the vest's charge, as well as provide you with a creepy map of your ride that includes a recording of all of your speeds (road felons may want to think about that). It is also supposed to be a portal for any upcoming software updates, but this appears to be as yet unfinished, or at least not yet used. If nothing else, those who use their phone as a navigation device can easily keep tabs on the vest and see that it is charged and armed.

So far I'm very pleased with it, and hope to get many long hours of use without ever learning if it will actually deploy.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    For my new safety gear I am going to stuff my pockets with $100 bills.

They will probably protect my ass better than anything I can buy on Revzilla.

Might even be cheaper?
  17. Tim McKittrick

Oddometer:
    I admit its all shockingly priced.

However, my last fall came with a $35,000 airplane ride and that much again in surgery, plus more in doctors fees and PT. Would an airbag vest have made a difference? It might have- and I might have less metal in me.

The safest thing to do would be to stay off the bloody motorbikes, but after 42 years of riding that’s probably not going to happen. Any additional protection I can get that is easy enough to use that I’ll actually use it seems a worthwhile expenditure.

As always, its your call. YMMV.
    Traxx and C330F like this.
  18. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I'm just trying to find the relative unicorn of a neck brace that can semi-permanently attach to a jacket and opens/closes with the jacket. Rev'it had one available at one point that would match up to the Sand 3, but I can't find it for sale anymore and if one exists that is a tad more brand-agnostic that'd be cool (though I certainly don't mind Rev'It - my daily summer jacket is the excellent Turbine mesh jacket, and their pants are great too)
  19. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    saw a couple mentions of the Hit-Air vest and thought I would weigh in.

I've been wearing a hit-air over my regular riding gear for about 6 years now. My first one had about 20 activations on it before I tore the outer fabric. The air bladder was still operational, but I didnt want to attempt a repair on my safety gear that could render it ineffective. Most of the activations were zero mph bike drops...either slipping in gravel/mud/snow or very low speed falls offroad when I took a little dirt nap on the DR650. I had 3 activations that were above 35mph and in all 3, I had no injury at all...two of them ended up with me under the bike. I picked the hit-air specifically since it offers a head supporting neck zone plus it has a flip down tailbone protector.

The vest does block some wind, but with about 50,000 miles with the vest, I no longer notice that it's warmer or the totally subconscious connection/disconnection of the tether. I tend to switch between klim badlands and motoport mesh, so I opted not to buy a jacket with the integrated airbag.

I rode through the desert in the summer in 2016 Canada to Mexico; 2017 TAT, 2018 VA to Key West/New Orleans/Austin/AZ and I rode from VA-to-AK the summer of 2019. I also wear the vest whenever I'm on a dualsport ride or just a 15 minute ride to the cycle shop.
  20. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Try putting your hydration bladder in the jacket sleeve where your back armor used to ride.
    Traxx likes this.