New Sena 20S Intercom announced at AIMExpo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by El Gato, Oct 21, 2013.

1. GoosePilot

GoosePilot Bicycle

Oddometer:
    I'm really, really pissed!!

Been watching threads since August wrt the problems with the early 20s and kept a mental note to wait until last minute to buy a Dual set for my wife & self for a trip we are planning in South Africa.

Arrived here 2 weeks ago - went to local distributer and bought a 20s Dual set for my wife & I........ started this past weekend to fit to the helmets - all went well until I started setting everyting up.

Now the thing is - I could have purchased the setup in the UK before flying out - but decided to rather wait - buy it locally as the support would be better in case something goes wrong.

Spent hours trying to get the setup sorted with all kinds of issues...... SURELY I thought - this would be a latest model release with new Firmware (I did the update) ............ but decided to check the serial numbers in any case.........

:eek1 1406....... the NEW setup, I pre-ordered turns out to be old stock .......... FFS - why were these not recalled and bloody hell - now I sit with trying to get people to sort a problem :huh
  2. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't sweat the serial number too much, we bought a dual pack and one unit had the clamp issue so it was replaced under warranty, so now we have one 1406 and one 1408, both updated to the latest firmware, and I can't find any functional difference between the two...
  3. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:

Quick update, v1.2 didn't fix our issues above and both were early 1406 serial's. Long story short but Sena RMA'd our dual-pack. The new units just arrived with 1409 serial and firmware v1.2 installed. Only took about about 2 weeks from shipping the old dual-pack, was expecting a much longer wait.

Sena customer service was very good thru entire process. Now just hope the major power down bugs are worked out, time will tell.
  4. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered a Sena 20S dual pack Monday from RocketMoto and looking forward to setting them up and using them. Thanks for the update on your experience!!
  5. GSDirtbag

GSDirtbag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got my replace from 1405 and just received the 1409 no more issue Sena customer service is good.... took them one week to reply to my first email but once the ticket was assigned with a tech the communication was really fast.
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Firmware version 1.3 was released yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but may grab it tonight.
  7. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rocketmoto not lstng 20s?

S
  8. BruceWA

BruceWA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Their website is not up to date. They do have the 20S. They are very busy & have recently moved. Placed my 20S order by phone. That might be more difficult for you.
  9. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    A real good read:

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

After reading this, and other similar articles regarding knock-off chargers and those ultra-cheap units flooding ebay, I started paying closer attention to all my chargers. I opened many and was quite surprised to see for myself just how horribly many of them were wired internally. Many were a short waiting to happen (now I know why some of them felt so hot).
  10. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I am real close to pulling the trigger on a 20s. So 3 quick questions since looking back through the thread is confusing. I will be using a ZUMO 550, Sena 20s, iPhone 4s and and maybe a iPod touch in the future. I know that the ZUMO 550 is not stereo via Bluetooth. I will be using the phone for my music source. ( MP3, Pandora, Spotify, and Podcasts). I may use a BT enabled iPod Touch in the future.. The ZUMO will be for phone calls and Nav Prompts only. So with that said:

1) WILL this combination work?
    2) Have bugs been worked out with latest firmware updates?
    3) My riding buddy uses the latest BMW Navigator and headsets,
    will be able to communicate via intercom?

If I pair the iPhone and the ZUMO for calls, will I still be able to hear stereo music to the Sena?
  11. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    Actually, the Zumo 550 can transmit stereo music over Bluetooth if it uses the A2DP profile just like a smartphone would for listening to music. Now onto your questions:

1. Yes that combination will work. You can pair your iPhone to directly to the Zumo 550. Then pair the Zumo 550 to the 20S using a specific pairing option. Then pair your iPhone to the 20S using another specific pairing option. However, if you switch to using an iPod Touch then that will replace your phone as the source of music.

2. We welcome all bug reports from customer feedback so that we can continue to improve upon the 20S.

3. Yes, the 20S has a feature called Universal Intercom which allows to communicate with a non-Sena headset.
  12. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    ^ The Zumo 550 though does not support A2DP only HFP.

The Zumo 660/665 supports A2DP.
  13. SenaBluetooth

SenaBluetooth Motorcycle Bluetooth

Oddometer:
    After double checking, that is indeed the case. However, the setup that we have provided will still work as you will be pairing the Zumo 550 to the 20S to use 1 of the 2 available HFP profiles on the 20S for phone calls and GPS navigation.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Sena 20S and for music I just use an iPod Nano connected to the 20S via the Aux cable they supplied. I keep the Nano in the top inside pocket of my jacket and it works fine. I'm not sucking battery life out of the 20S by streaming via Bluetooth that way.
  15. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Thanks very much. Glad to see SENA has a presence here.
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    What kind of run time do you get out of your 20S when using it this way?
  17. GSDirtbag

GSDirtbag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for me I can leave in the morning 7:00AM and ride all day arrive home 9:00PM about 600KM to 800KM ride and it's still works I just plug it after every ride.
  18. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    My real time feedback:

is that they do (still) loose battery charge over time, so if you let them sit on the shelf for over a month you better charge them before riding.

I didn't really have that issue ever with my Scala. It would be 100% charged after 5 months of sitting....

I can say - after I had the early production units, and returned, the newer ones no longer have the buzzy interference that I had with my in-ear earphones. That was WAY annoying.

My buddy dropped his helmet from the seat of his bike, and the impact of the shock snapped all the Sena screws and the unit flew apart. No - it didn't hit the unit, it hit the opposite side of the helmet. The screw sleeves are made of plastic tubes. And the jog dial is not waterproof.....:D

So...if these things were rubber coated like the Scala's we'd have ourselves a true winner...

I can send you pics of the inside of the unit, battery, rubber gasket....since my buddy has given his to science. PM me.

My unit (recent serial) works great - so I think this is the best item on the market this year 2014.
  19. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I've also noticed this, and find it to be quite odd.

None of my other electronics lose nearly as much charge as an inactive 20S does.
  20. Canada Mike

Canada Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone...Just tested the Sena 20S that I got for Christmas and definitely have some concerns. This was going to replace our Autocom Superpro with Kenwood crystal radios for bike to bike. Now I know this is not really a fair fight between the two units but I am disgusted at the range it actually gets in a real world test.
    Now I am certain that this unit will be absolutely outstanding rider to pillion and solo riding with GPS and a phone.
    So for the test we went to our sports fields and here are our findings on the bike to bike distance with both aerials up facing each other.
    Open area testing facing each other in a field was good up to 780 feet in line of site.
    When I turned my back to the other unit the communication was choppy.

We placed one 40ft wide ( aprox 15ft high) building between us and was only able to carry on a conversation at a distance of 350ft with the one unit at the wall and me backing away from the other side of the building.

We tried them again on the way home. One walking ahead in a straight line 300 ft or so and turning onto a side street, by the second house the unit had lost the signal.

I have to think a lot of people are not using this unit for bike to bike as there are only so many areas not as flat as Saskatchewan.

I think a new technology needs to invented 4-5 times the strength and range of the bluetooth technology.

I guess we are stuck with being tied to our machines for the time being because the unit is going back.

my two cents.