New Sena 20S Intercom announced at AIMExpo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by El Gato, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SMURPH

SMURPH Longtimer

Oddometer:
    Used the 10's for a couple of years before upgrading to the 20-S. We had the first batch of 20S for a trip to Baja and back and there was a lot of interference. Sena swapped them out for newer serial-numbered units and they work just great. I can't imagine using anything else.
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Canada Mike, did you update the firmware?
  3. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried them with the "HD Intercom" turned off? That feature gives higher quality audio, but at the expense of range. You will get much greater range with it turned off. My wife and I have been pretty happy with the range of ours. Every once in a while they will drop the connection when we are on forest roads and get too far apart, but they reconnect automatically as soon as you are back in range, and usually they only time they drop the connection is when we get a really big hill in between us.
  4. Canada Mike

Canada Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did not....This is right out of the box with default settings. Do you think it will make that much difference in distance and small buildings in the way?
  5. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    So you are using the units bike to bike. So if yourself or your wife is up the road and pulls into a gas station with some buildings in the way can you in fact still communicate? From what I tested out of the box this would not be achievable.

On another note...Is everyone pushing the small silver button to talk to the other person and then cancel? When you both get on the bike can you just start a intercom chat by pressing the silver button and ride that way for the day? This would give you VOX and would be much safer in case of emergencies.
  6. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I can't say for sure, partly because I don't know which firmware version is on your pair, but it is definitely worth the few minutes it would take. There have been some definite improvements made in firmware updates since the initial release of the product. I think the manual takes you through the update process, or you can see a little bit about it on my little review here: http://home.comcast.net/~emoto1/Sena20S.htm

Once you've paired the units, you don't have to press any buttons to talk.
  7. BillMoore

Oddometer:
    Yes, we are using the units bike to bike. As far as buildings in the way, it depends... In the city with a couple of skyscrapers in between us, no that isn't going to work. Circling around a shopping center, with the shopping center in between us, that works fine most of the time. Often when we are stopped at a gas station, my wife will leave her helmet on and go inside to use the restroom, buy snacks, etc while I am pumping gas, and we can talk to each other just fine while she is inside and I am outside (and yes that gets some strange looks, :lol3 ).

Out of the box, the HD Intercom is turned on, so if you are running the out of the box settings, that is why your range is bad. The HD Intercom really only will work for very short distances. Turn that off and you should see a big improvement in range (and really not that bad of a degradation in audio quality).
  8. BillMoore

Oddometer:
    One more comment on range... we've a few trail rides where we had 3-4 bikes, and my wife and I were the only ones with communicators. I rode in front, my wife rode in back. Lots of the time, I could not see my wife behind me but we could still communicate. It worked great for knowing whether or not everyone was still with me. If the connection dropped, I knew we were getting too spread out, and I would slow down for a few minutes until the connection came back.
  9. Racenut

Racenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I get what I thought was decent range from the 20S and I know HD intercom is still on. Range is still much better than the Cardo Q2 we replaced.

And YES on VOX. it actually works very well on these units. The old Q2's we had, the other side would not get the first word or two when using VOX. The 20S seems to respond instantly.

And yes on the Firmware updates... to at least 1.2. There were some good improvements made with 1.2 that made a big difference.
  10. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I will do the upgrades and the de-selection of the HD intercom and update shortly on my findings.

Although I dislike the Autocom corded system it may still be a better fit for us at this point until an improved bluetooth is designed.

One last comment..Have any of you used the Autocom for bike to bike in the past and switched to the Sena 20S?
  11. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    So with the intercom connection established and connected. The VOX will work from both headsets without using the voice commands or button pushing correct? Would you say on average you could leave this connection established for the day and the battery life would be fine based on average communications bike to bike?
  12. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    The units work great in close proximity.

So I was able to check the units firmware with the app on my iphone and they are 1.2
    I am worried about trying to update them to 1.3 as you are required to register them to do this and I have not yet decided if they are going back...?
    The Sena website says 1.3 was to deal with intercom connection issues which begs the question is this connecting or distance? I may never know.
  13. Racenut

Racenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correct.. once they are on, I'll tap the side button once to connect intercoms, then we chatter away. We have not run the batteries out yet, my wife wears out before the batteries do. That said we've been out a good part of the day.. 4-5 hours of helmet time and still have 2 or 3 blips on the battery... full is 4 blips. So 10 hours of talk time seems realistically possible.
  14. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    Perfect thanks for the clarity. I will try the range again tomorrow with HD intercom turned off.

Reason we started this whole exercise is our helmet cables needed to be replaces on the Autocom units. With the setup we have on both bikes we are into it for a 1100 per bike so we were tossing around the idea of getting the Sena system to go cordless. It will be around 400 to replace everything we want to upgrade so thats what made us try the Sena system.
  15. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    Urinals and toilet doors don't count for poor reception...:D
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Nowhere does it say you cannot return units that you registered. People have done so. Update your firmware.
  17. rstott

rstott n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am using the s20 with the BMW Nav 5. I listen to gps directions from the Nav 5 plus I use the music player on the Nav 5 as well. I have been using it like this since I purchased the S20 without any issues. I recently updated bot the S20 and the Nav 5. They both seemed like minor updates. On my ride this morning, the music quit playing and soon after got an error window on the Nav 5 about the bluetooth had disconnected. I cycled power on the S20 and the Bluetooth came right back and I was able to listen to my music again. This happened many more times during the ride. This is the first time this has happended and I assume it has something to do with the update. Anyone else notice this?
  18. Tupperwolf

Tupperwolf Combat Commuter

Oddometer:
    My 20S was great when I first got it but has started cutting out. When it's idle it will stay on forever but when I start playing bluetooth music it will shut off between 5 seconds and 5 minutes. Very frustrating experience. Pretty disappointed, hopefuly Sena will take care of me.
  19. b4-40

b4-40 n00b

Oddometer:

Did you remove and recreate the pairing? That would be something you could try.
  20. Canada Mike

Oddometer:
    I have now made the decision to send them back because of the range. This is the only issue we have is the distance between us is sometimes to great and the UHF Kenwood radios and the Autocom work best.

This was after all the upgrades.