New Sidi Dual Sport Boot Coming Soon!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hondaboy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. August West

August West Wharf Rat

Oddometer:
    This is compelling. I am all but certain to pull the trigger on a non-GTX pair before March, so I have a Kool-Aid mustache as well as most of the posters in this thread. That being said I can't afford a pair of GS boots and a pair of Santiagos so I am hoping I can get the best protection possible AND have a pair of boots that I can walk around in. I'll swap the Sidis for more appropriate footwear where work or other indoor activities call. I hope this post is taken seriously and generates solid thoughtful discussion.
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    If I wanted to ride to work in comfort I would ride buy a 1200 RT, if I wanted to rip it off road I would buy a 450x, but I ride something in between, a 1200 GSA, dual sport/adventure bikes are by definition a compromise. They arent the best at anything, except being good at everything. The Sidi's are light enough, and comfortable enough, go on fast enough and look good enough to wear to work, plus you can walk in them, unllike motocross boots. They are stiffer and offer more protection than any other dual sport boot I have seen or owned and I would be more than comfortable wearing them offroad for the type of riding I do. The two pairs of boots you mentioned would run me $800, for half of that I got a pair of boots that will do what your two pairs of boots will do, not as well as either one, but good enough, plus Santiago boots are ugly as sin.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mod clean up... a week off for the noob who was uncivil.. read the posted rules... we'd like to keep this place civil... the keyboard command style doesn't work here.
  4. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I think you both confirmed my position: if you want the best, do it all, single pair of boots, these are the mutts nuts! (for the non english listeners - explanation) As you say, this means a compromise... but in a good way - I like the analogy to the GSA. There are faster, more comfortable, more capable offroad bikes... but few that can do it all. :thumb
  5. Bell47Pilot

Bell47Pilot MonkeyButt

Oddometer:
    Awww, I missed it.
    Civil unrest on a boot thread?
    Harumph, say I!
    Harumph!

6. AdvRat

AdvRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for the 42's to be in stock before they ship them to me. I am hoping they arrive at MotoCentral sometime this week. I guess in Ohio it doesn't matter right now, I still have a foot of snow and 2 inches of ice outside thanks to the last storm that flew thru!
  7. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a deal at the London Motorcycle Show today; couldn't resist. :D
  8. choiceboards

choiceboards n00b

Oddometer:
    UPS man just showed up with my Sidi Adventures. He's asking for $90 in customs fees. How do you go about challenging the fees? I asked him to come back on Monday.

Price was $456 from motocentral after currency conversion, pre customs duties. Looks like I received the anti-dirty ADVRider special
  9. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    you don't win when trying to get out of taxes of any sort...they will send the boots back. UPS also charges a brokers fee in the $90. I try to have all shipments that come to Canada to stay away from using UPS because of their extra $$ they add on top of duty and tax...
  10. choiceboards

choiceboards n00b

Oddometer:
    A $90 brokerage fee seems like an important point to inform your customers about before completing the transaction
  11. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    to be honest I never know nor does the shipper the exact amount that is going to be charged. They meaning the shipper usually has a "warning" on their web sites. The $90 would be duty tax if applicable and state or province tax plus a broker fee.
  12. mgdavis

mgdavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn it!!! The squeaking is driving me nuts. You sure get funny looks at the library when you're wearing these.:ear:huh
  13. LusterBroil

LusterBroil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are a pretty good multi purpose boot. Off road I would say they are equal to a cheap MX boot. I had a pair of Thor T-20's or something that offered similar protection. The Sidi's are more flexible and comfortable though.
  14. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried on a pair and they fit nice, had great latches but when I would kneel down and the boot would pinch the top of my foot real bad. I could feel the inner liner, stiffener or something in the area of the pinch. Anyone else experience a this?
  15. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really all my off road boots have always done this to me. They are just so stiff. It has become second nature to me to kneel down on my knees and kick my feet out behind me in a relaxed position. Another reason to have good knee pads.
  16. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a pair and will report on how the transaction goes. Emailed Neil and he replied back with easy purchase instructions right off the motocentral website.
  17. Chris618

Oddometer:
    Boots came in today. Wow, what fast shipping. So far it was $463.79 and they feel great. I'll post up if there is more shipping costs involved. So far, i am happy with this purchase.
  18. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    It will happen a bit less as they break in, though some folks' feet just don't work with certain boots. As LoFlow mentioned, the creasing and pushing in on the top of your foot is the nature of very stiff, higher protection boots (like all my motocross boots) when you really bend them such as squatting while up on the balls of your feet...but then, how often will you be in that position? Not something that happens too much while riding, for me anyway. I'm not on the balls of my feet and squatting on the pegs. I ride with the pegs right in front of the boot heal and even when going through the motions of standing up, sitting back down, or just squatting (to slightly lift off of the seat for a bump or rough section), my foot just pivots forward on the peg since the peg is in the arch of my foot and not the ball of my foot.

The only time I can see your foot being in that position is on the street playing street-racer and dragging the pegs which is when some riders position their feet with only the balls of their feet on the pegs, but even in that position (depending on the bike) the length of your foot is usually fairly flat and not bent. So in regards to the pinch when extremely flexing the foot, it may boil down to the old exchange of:
    Patient: Doc, it hurts every time is do this.
    Doctor: Well stop doing that.
    :lol3
  19. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point and I did try on a smaller pair and they did not pinch as bad although they were to tight. I have not given up on the Adventures but would like to try the crossfires on before I make a decision.
  20. Chris618

Oddometer:
    Well, Good ol UPS just sent me a bill for $107.70 for customs duties in addition to the $70. shipping. Be prepared to pay additional for these boots.

Motocentral charged $463.79 shipped.

UPS charged $107.70 for customs duties.

Total for boots $571.49

Now I am not so happy with my purchase and I wish I went another route.