New Sidi Dual Sport Boot Coming Soon!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hondaboy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering ordering from one of the following:

MOTO CENTRAL

FC MOTO

The price to my door her in Canada is within $5 of each other. The main difference in cost may be with duty/brokerage charges.

Moto Central uses UPS.
    FC Moto uses DHL.

Has anyone in Canada had any experience with receiving goods from either of these companies and can comment on the fees? Anecdotal evidence suggests that UPS may charge more.
  2. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe DHL is the better choice. Have you looked at dirtbikebitz?
  3. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    UPS sux because not only do they charge you the duties and taxes but a brokerage fee to boot.
  4. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have looked at Dirtbikebitz. These are the costs shipped to me here in BC...

MOTO CENTRAL (UK) = $442

FC MOTO (Ger) = $437

DIRTBIKEBITZ (UK) = $513

This is where the math comes in...I may avoid paying the duty/taxes(used) with DIRTBIKEBITZ and thus my total cost will be around $513.

With say FC Moto, the $437 + taxes (5% GST + 7% PST) brings the total to $490 plus any duties.

MOTO CENTRAL would bring the total to $495 with taxes, however, that is prior to any extortionate brokerage/handling fees from UPS (the courier that Moto Central uses).

The devil I know or don't know...that is the question :evil
  5. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I know that the US guys have had good luck with dirtbikebitz and the "dirty ADV special" when they order. Try contacting them...

edit- this post. Ordered from motonation to ON....lots of UPS $$$.

Dirty ADV special ordered from dirtbikebitz
  6. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did some research and THIS THREAD on FC Moto is no too convincing.

I will likely be ordering from Dirtbikebitz.
  7. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep this thread up to date with what happens. I am about a month or so away from ordering.
  8. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. I placed my order with Dirtbikebitz last night (Friday evening). If purchasing with a credit card you will likely have to pay through PayPal (with credit card). The order has been accepted but my guess is that it won't actually get shipped until Monday.

I also emailed Moto Central regarding who they use to ship to Canada. I've included the very quick response from them which does not mention UPS...

We use Interparcel, who will transfer your parcel normally to DHL or Fedex. We don't charge any Tax on products here, however I cannot be sure what you will be charged for import upon arrival.

Kind Regards
    Jamie
    Moto Central

The difference between these two is that Moto Central ships ex-VAT new. While Dirtbikebitz ships with VAT, however, there may be a tax savings upon import at this end. With either of these companies, you will likely save a minimum $100 over what local retailers are charging.

For example, these boots retail for $679cdn locally. If you purchased your bike with the dealer you get 10% off which brings the price to $611. Add the PST (7%) & GST (5%) and the total locally would be $685. My cost so far is $527, a savings of $158 (before any taxes/fees are incurred).

Now if I ordered with Moto Central the cost would have been approximately $465cdn. However, it was my belief that they shipped UPS which would have incurred outrageous brokerage fees, eliminating the ex-VAT benefit. Ultimately, if Moto Central uses DHL or FedEx, they may be the best choice for Canada for these boots.

Either way, money is saved and I will hopefully have my boots by next Friday :D

I'll use the savings towards my other purchases such as TT engine guards, Machine Art cylinder head protectors, top case & bracket...the list goes on.
  9. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope you asked for the "dirty ADV special"......
  10. skreminegul

skreminegul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered a Schuberth C3 helmet and a pair of Sidi Laguna boots from FC-Moto in Germany. I had no problems at all. They only charged me 16.90 Euros to ship the order to Canada with DHL. It took about two weeks to get my stuff and for whatever reason, I paid no tax or duty.
    I have been screwed a few times by UPS and their ridiculous brokerage fees and I now refuse to deal with any vendors that ship to Canada with UPS...YMMV

11. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a quick reply! Yes I did request the "Dirty ADVRider Special". I have emailed Dirtbikebitz asking for an explanation as to why they charge VAT on goods being shipped outside the EU (Canada) and for an immediate refund of the VAT applied to my credit card. It is even set out on their website that items shipped outside the EU do not have to pay VAT. The link to that page is HERE.

I will await their response. If I am not credited the VAT back I will be cancelling my order. Time to test their "customer service".
  12. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and it's good to hear positive feedback on FC-Moto. I will advise on the response I get from Dirtbikebitz re: VAT refund. I have many other items that I need to order so I will keep FC-Moto in mind.
  13. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    If I did not already own 3 pairs of boots I think I might check out Dual SportPlus which have the Adventure Goretex version listed for 489.99 and they are in Canada and will ship via Canada Post for 18.00 Anyone ordered from them and how was your experience:ear
  14. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    wow....DSP has a great price on these boots....wonder how they can discount them so much?
  15. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :baldy

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg...

The "Dirty ADV Special" is already kind of illegal. They're avoiding having you pay international duties by shipping "used" boots to the U.S. If they file the paperwork to remove the VAT, they're admitting they sold you new boots and skirted international trade laws.

So, which would you like to pay? VAT or import duties and brokerage fees? :ear
  16. panchovilla

panchovilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got mine today! Wifey got them for me as a BD present, what a gal, she gets me what I want. I put them on and walked around, they felt good. I have a swollen right ankle from arthritis from an old high school football break and the boots work well due to the adjustibility of the size around the ankle. I wear a 11.5 US and the 46 Euro fit just right. They feel good. Didn't get to ride yet as the driveway is still snow and Ice covered. Will take them to Daytona and break them in there. Will keep everyone posted on how they work out but so far I'm jazzed.:D
  17. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTF....they are so cheap!

That's what I'm wondering too....

I may just have to order them from them then:clap
  18. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    That's why I'm asking for reviews its does sound to good to be true:ear
  19. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DSP has a good reputation so I have no doubt that the boots are what they say they are.
  20. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good point. I was concentrating on the VAT aspect and totally forgetting about the "used" duty aspect. Inadvertently trying to get the best of both worlds it seems. Having said that though, it does not negate the fact that if I did not request the "dirty ADV special" during the online ordering process that they are still charging VAT for products being shipped outside the EU which is contrary to what is stated on their website and deviates from what other UK retailers practices are (Moto Central for example).

Part of the problem is that I cannot find an accurate quote on the duty/tariff on imported motorcycle gear into Canada. Some anecdotal info indicates that it may be 18%. If that's the case then the duty and the VAT actually work out to be almost the exact same amount.

As long as it is not shipped with UPS, brokerage fees should not be an issue as the amounts with the other companies are negligible relatively speaking. I'm not sure how it is in the US but I can speak from past experience that importing items into Canada with UPS results in significantly greater brokerage fees. The determining factor may be the duty amount to be paid. I'll have a better idea come Monday.