New Sidi Dual Sport Boot Coming Soon!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hondaboy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did not read through all 75 pages of this thread, but read the first 10 or so to find the difference between the Euro Gortex version and the US version.

I picked up a pair of the non gortex US version of the Sidi Adventure boots, size 42, which fit my normally US 8.5-9 feet (I am more normally 9.0 US in boots, so I agree these tend to run the slightest large, and I tried on the next size up, these fit the best), at the Long Beach Moto Show in December, 2010.

I believe I paid either $300 or $325. There was a Sidi rep there, and he was very helpful. He was a surprised I claimed I would wear these boots daily, his idea of commuter boots was much less protective.

I commute very close to 5 days a week 52 weeks a year on either my GSA or Hypermotard. I wear out a pair of boots in about a year. I buy a lot of my moto gear at the Dainese corporate store in Newport Beach (worth a trip if you are nearby), but they have not had my size in deep discount boots lately, and my commuter boots were very worn.

So at the show, I was looking for some good value, well made boots which would offer max protection, yet be comfortable enough to walk around my office all day and/or perform the odd day of field survey work.

At the show, my size had somewhat limited choices in what I was looking for, and I decided a pair of the Sidi Adventure boots would replace my old MX boots for my mild dirt riding, while I continue the search for commuter boots.

I now have about 2-1/2 months on the Sidi's.

Good stuff:

Very well made. Maximum protection in a very walkable boot which is easy on and off. I'm 53, and inflexible enough that I don't want too many buckles. The 2 buckles per boot seems good. Buckles well made and still work great.

Reasonable comfort. I am a bit concerned that the boots offer so much support with the ankle hing, that my daily use may cause weakness in my ankles. Maybe not an issue. I do know that I would be confident in these boots offering great protection in a crash.

They actually work pretty good for some hiking / topo mapping of some steep slopes I have been on. The lug soles offer good traction, and the boots give good support when I am lugging equipment.

The boots themselves are not too heavy to be obnoxious.

I have commuted a total of 2 times in heavy rain. Both times feet stayed bone dry, even though pants (draggin jeans) were soaked.

Bad Stuff:

These boots are so noisy squeaking down the office halls that my employees know when I walk up behind them, and I sometimes just stand in place and squeak them for fun.

All in all, for $300 boots, seem like a great deal. For SoCal riders, I suspect they are water proof enough. I still am looking for some more comfort oriented commuter boots though.
  2. Birdonawire

Birdonawire n00b

Oddometer:
    I'd lusted after a pair of protective boots for a long time, and lurked here reading threads on boots for waaay too long before buying Sidi Adv. Rains last summer. Canadian Local dealers wanted $650 plus GST. USA and online prices were $375, but were non-Gore-Tex. I wanted G-Tex but hated the huge price spread. Particularly when our Cdn$ was at par! Eventually got a figure from DSP thanks to discussion here. They had my size in stock and after asking the staff member on the phone to ensure that the boots in the box were the same size as the box stated, I ordered them. Had them shipped Express Post by Cda. Post. arrived in 2 days. $ 489.99 plus GST. $35.00 post chgs. v.s. $18.00 for regular Parcel Post. Opened the box....boots were a different size from the box!
    Called DSP, they apologized and said send them back prepaid and we will send you the right ones today. They only sent them Parcel Post, but they arrived in about 5 days. They (Les Clarke at DSPlus) credited me back both the prepaid postage to return the wrong boots AND the difference between my Express Post cost and the regular post cost paid for the first shipment.
    I put an after market extra insole in them to take up a little space for my size 10.5-11 "B" width narrow foot (45 euro size), walked around in them for a day and they were broken in. I wear over the calf "smart wool" cushy ski sox in them for "wicking" to keep my legs/feet comfy and the boot lining from absorbing sweat. I have ridden about 8000 kms.in temps from +40C to +3C, at times two days straight in the rain, and the only part of me that gets wet is my butt from the seat pool forming under my ventilated riding pants.
    The only time any water got inside the boots was when I fell off during a river crossing.
    I can walk quite a distance comfortably in them. They do "squeak", so be prepared to adjust to the sound. You will not be arriving unnoticed if you are walking in late for anything. It eventually gets to be "part" of you. And you start being on time more often.
    If we wern't such penny pinchers I guess we'd just go to the local dealer where it is convenient, pay the extra $100, and get on with it, but.....
    In any case, go get a set of these, and enjoy the "dry" comfort. I waited far too long. Hope this helps the Canadians avoid the worry and cost (I refuse to shop anywhere that only ships UPS) and allows all of you to get the real deal (G-Tex) for your peace of mind.
  3. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Hey Bird, how wide are the boots in the foot, are they fairly narrow? 2nd question, You can't tell how tall the boots are in the pictures, I have fairly thick calves and if the boots are that high I won't be able to wear them, so, are the boots calf high and how wide can you make the top part?
    Thanks Slowphil
  4. Birdonawire

Birdonawire n00b

Oddometer:
    Just measured: Outside height from bottom of heel to top collar, 14". Inside height from inner heel on top of my extra insole, 12". Diameter of top collar with what I consider to be the least amount of velcro closure hooked up, 18" circumference at top of boot.

The boots fit me around the calf such that they are easy to pull jean cuffs down over the boot. YMMV

I should also clarify that these boots are not going to keep your pegs or engine from crushing the forward part of your foot the way a full motocross boot would, but they are o.k. for ankle and upper calf protection.
  5. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, I've been hesitating about ordering the boots but I think they'll work. :clap
  6. REVjimenez

REVjimenez ESSCAPEr

Oddometer:
    Good on you as I paid US$350 at Atlanta BMW Ducati...

Now have just over 5k on the boots

been in at least 10 downpours that were toad stranglers, and multiple water crossings that were boot dippers..I had the same experience in complete dryness for 9 of the 10 downpours, and all of the water crossing...the 10th oddman out had water wicking up the pant leg as it was not zipped/closed proper at the ankle, causing the top of the sock sticking out of the boot to get wet which brought in some liquids at the top inside of the sock...all the rest bone dry...

Second the squeakiness of the boots...more so after a hard rain...put on some leather conditioner and all became right in the heavens...
  7. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at Motonation the distributor of SIDI's web site and they are showing the Adventure Rains for $375 and the Gore-Tex versions for $625, $250 more:huh. They also have another boot the Vertigo Mega Gore-Tex for $395 and while not a dual sport boot it appears to have a lot of plastic protection and be leather. So apparently they can make a boot with similar features of the Adventure Gore-Tex and not have to charge a few hundred $$$ more. I think Motonation is blowing it. Again:puke1
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

I think Motonation knows their customer base.

You know there's going to be a bunch of folks who will pay the inflated price because they're skittish about ordering the boots from overseas.
  9. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm disappointed. Mine don't squeak! :D
  10. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. feyd

feyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any news?

I contacted DSP and they said there is not much stock in the entire country(Canada) at this time and won't be getting any until late April or early May.
  12. mac inger

mac inger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bird are you saying the non G-tex versions have been reasonably dry for you ?

Was there a comparison ever made of the two boots or the worthiness of the non G-tex versions tested ? I mean they might be just fine right ?? :wink::ear

13. Birdonawire

Birdonawire n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello "mac". Sorry about the confusion, but something must have gotten lost in my long winded post. The boots I got from DSP in Canada are the Gore-Tex version. They have kept me completely dry, and been comfortable to ride in and walk in when "touristing" or walking around in camp. Other inmates have posted about their experiences with the non-Gore-Tex version which was the only model sold in the States until recently. I believe they were happy with the performance of the boots, particularly since the price point was $275.00 less than the Gore-Tex version is list priced at in Canada.
  14. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Some folks have been using leather conditioner and/or mink oil to cut down on the squeaking.
    I put some nikwax I had laying around and it seems to do a good job of making these boots quieter.....
    I did some research online and nikwax won't mess up the breathability of the goretex.

Just fyi....
  15. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    I know mountain claiming gear are always %30 to %50 pricier for the exact same product with Gortex as supposed to other breathable material. Gortex is a separate company that owns the technology and permits use of for it for a big price.

None gtex version of Sidi Adventure might be not so bad. As long it doesn't feel like I am wearing a plastic bag over your feet, I'll be OKEY.

Can someone who owns a none Gortex version verify that the boots keep your feet dry when riding in rain? thx

btw, sidi's website is useless.
  16. Avi8tor

Avi8tor ADV Poser

Oddometer:
    I rode through one 30 min toad choker on my KLR with my non-Gortex Adventures. The boots were dry inside. My pants do cover the tops though. Only the bottom (up to about tennis shoe height) is exposed. I don't find the boots to be hot until it is about 90 degrees.
  17. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. keener

Oddometer:
    thx
  19. MrCheeky

MrCheeky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I contacted both Moto Central and Dirtybikebitz and this is the breakdown...

Moto Central: Does not charge VAT for products shipped out of the EU. Their price is £245.79 (ex VAT) + £35 shipping for the boots shipped to Canada. As they are new, there will be a duty of 18% as well as your provincial tax, here in BC the HST is 12%. This brings the cost of the boots to approx. $590cdn.

Dirtbikebitz: They charge the full VAT, £294.95 and £35 shipping, however, the boots are shipped as 'used' thus possibly avoiding duty and some tax. The total would be approx. $527-580 (depending on the declared value of the item and the subsequent tax applied).

US Retail: $625us (about the same in cdn). Likely get free shipping to an address just on the other side of the border.

Neither of these estimates takes into account potential brokerage fees. In correspondence with Moto Central, it appears that they do not use UPS.

Local Retail: Ranges from $619-669.

I decided to order the boots from a local dealership where I purchased my GS. The total cost including tax is $617. This is only about $30 more than Moto Central but may be $50+ more than Dirtbikebitz. After weighing the options, I decided to order locally.

The wild card appears to be as has been alluded to, the availability of these boots. They are on back order and they are not anticipated to be in stock until at least the end of the month. This raises the common complaint amongst inmates of availability of merchandise, clothing, equipment and parts at local dealers which I won't get into here.

A final note would be that both Moto Central and Dirtbikebitz were very prompt and informative with their emails and based on my interactions with them I would not hesitate to purchase a product from them if it was the best option.
  20. keener

Oddometer:
    Parkerbros in Toronto (http://www.powersports.ca/) is selling them for $549.00 ,gortex (on sale). Please don't buy all size 45s ok?