New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell the weld which connects top of the bracket to bottom part was defective, and they should have used a heavier gauge steel on it for ADV use not just recycled as is.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alternative theory - it's the rear shock bottoming out frequently ?

I'm not sure if all sd's are like the one I test rode, but that rear shock bottomed out WAY too easily - on a suburban pot hole out the back of powerhouse motorcycles.! Cyclopathic had commented on his centrestand being too long for a loaded bike - consistent with the rear spring being too soft ( or not enough preload via the hydraulic adjuster? )

The rs has a different shock and soaks up hits better , and all those husky 630's with busted rear subframes would have been taking serious loads. Has anyone actually checked the static + dynamic sag figures on the sd when loaded ?
    mrsdnf likes this.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Cyclopathic's problem with his side stand was I thought to short as it was falling over and he had a piece welded on to lengthen it.
    Hopefully the only issue with his bike was a bad weld.
    I have felt mine bottom loaded up a couple of times but that was on cattle grids, really hard hits they were. Hopefully his is a one of case.
    Saying that I do agree with what your saying Dr AT that a shock bottoming will cause a weak point to fail.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Dr AT: no doubt the bottoming out was a contributing factor of mount failure but it was very rare and on most bikes it would have caused shock failure not frame failure.

Suspension ride height was properly adjusted and bike doesn't feel undersprung for load; about right I'd say. There is no signs rubber stopper on shock coming in contact. Mount feels flimsy to be honest

Stock dog bones stock ride height. I would love to get something like HyperPro rear spring but I IMHO very low priority and I doubt HP will ever make one.

And yes I had problem with kickstand not center stand; center stand is fine better than on most bikes. No prob to put bike on it no need to unload.
    Dr AT and chilejack like this.
  5. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    We are all on an eternal quest for less weight, this unfortunately can result in a less robust structure. As I mentioned earlier you are a Beta tester for the SWM and doing a good job of it. My Husky FX 350 is nice and light but I am having trouble finding a way to mount a rack that has some frame support. My DR 650 is stronger in that area but the experience of many has shown certain failure prone areas that need reinforcement and additional gusseting. You have covered thousands of miles on less than ideal roads with a substantial load on the back. A poor welding job from the factory is a contributor to the problem of being underdesigned for the job. Even if SWM doesn't upgrade the shock mount, you have demonstrated an area that needs some reinforcement for anyone doing long distance adventure riding. This is good info.
    Cal and Rotax655 like this.
  6. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic you should contact SWM in FB (if you have it...) , they are generaly quick to get back .

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did (not FB but factory guys I know).. and they were trying to find the way to help me.

Personally I didn't care about my bike as much as they fix it for everyone
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a couple days ago take 2 IMG-20191005-WA0070.jpg
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Do you have your own photographer?
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Friend has GoPro and then takes stills
    mrsdnf and Richarde1605 like this.
  12. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    at this height did you have the frame broken? it looks like you're raising the bike
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been snooping around having a good luck in the area around where cyclopathics frame broke. Everything looks sweet, touch wood. The rear downtube looks like it would support a German tank.
    Surprisingly, or not, the left hand side lower subframe cap screw was loose. I thought that was strange as it was supposed to have been loctited by the dealer. On removing it, it was clearly evident loctite had never been near this cap screw.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The frame broke at lower altitude on M41 about 180km to Khorug, Tajikistan. I'm glad it didn't at higher elevations as it would have been difficult to find someone to weld it there.

In the picture bike is falling down; I tried to put it on kickstand and lost footing. In that part of the route roads are good if you don't mind the fact that they are bulldozer washboard with which SD suspension deals extremely well at 38mph bike starts floating over the surface and ride becomes smooth again.

The springs on center stand stretched and need to be either replaced or shortened. Center stand comes down at every big deep in one spot when it happened it caught on the rock and kicked rear to the side; I'm glad I was standing.

13k on the bike another 519mi to go. Road supposed to be all paved but this is TBD in these parts. Clutch is fucked I will have 2 days to get bike serviced before flying out.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had similar experience except I knew the bolt was loctited by me no dealer to blame. Turned out the bolt end broke; about 6-8mm were in frame and needed to be dug out. It happened on both sides if you get a chance pull bolt out and compare length to new one good luck.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've said this before but cant believe you are having all these issues cyclopathic. Now the centre stand spring has stretched.
    What bike are you buying next?
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    She is a keeper alright I will see her to 100k in next few years.

Thing is the roads here are so rough many bikes are falling apart be they from Japan, Germany or Austria.
    vsaltao and mrsdnf like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone found/contemplated a way to mount tool tube on SD? Somewhere in front low?
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right where the charcoal canister is. Thats where I'd like to put one.
    I've hung bags from the crash bars.

[​IMG]
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to eat humble pie with my earlier statement where I said the dealer had not Loctited the subframe cap screws. It appears that they were. Apologies to the dealer.
    The bottom capscrew is the original item. You can see a wear mark on the thread where its worn from the subframe flogging around on it.
    I bought two 90mm long cap screws and cut them down to about 82mm in length. This way if the subframe started flogging around again it would be on the shank and not the thread.
    It was touch and go whether there was enough thread left so a high tensile spring washer was used on each capscrew, threads were primed and 262 loctite used. The final torque was 30 ft lb. We'll see how this goes.

[​IMG]
    Dr AT likes this.