New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't judge weight by the volume when that happened I had ~35kg load; this is with me in 65-70kg range + plus riding gear not something way unreasonable to carry on RTW bike or even trail bike.

That said there are many overloaded trucks running on M41 thoroughly destroying it many bikes failed there. What is worrysome in case of other bikes it's the shock getting destroyed not frame mount. In my case there was an obvious weld defect and factory had admitted the mount hasn't been reenforced identical to RS650R which BTW had the same AL subframe like TE. I sent report and pictures to factory hope they reenforce mount on future bikes.. just saying.
    vsaltao and Dr AT like this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not the spring but the angle of the kickstand.

I changed oil in clutch made absolutely no difference.

With regards to Tajikistan there are as many troops and checkpoints along the border as you see in Mexico and by far situation there is far safer you have more chances to get get shot in Vegas. People are very friendly and it's alot safer than you would be say in Prague or Mongolia you loose your place in heaven if you steal from guest.
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    As I said before you are the #1 Beta tester. You are using the bike just as intended and finding issues that need upgrades and or redesign. We all know you don't buy a even new model BMW the first year because you Will be the Beta tester. The roads and miles you are traveling will exceed most that of most SD purchasers, so you are the best test pilot. I know you are attempting to communicate issues with SWM and hopefully they will take it to heart and make changes. You have done, what?, 9,000 miles of the worst possible roads with a great pile of gear and the bike has generally held up well. How would this trip have been (same roads) on your wee-strom?
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
  5. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    cyclopatic I admire you for the trips you make but loading the bike in this way does not allow you to face those difficult roads. especially if you take a sequence of holes at speed. the load is too protruding backwards and the passenger seat is practically empty. this is not ideal for traveling on rough roads full of holes..... 09-25-23-downloadfile.jpg
    Manray likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That picture is from Ukraine, early August? I had ditched top case many miles before getting to Pamir which happened end of September/beginning of October. Only had soft luggage and RotopaX with 7L of fuel. Most of fuel got traded for a truck ride to Murgab for Italian bicyclist who broke his chain about 20km to town. Not sure how well that 1970s Zil ran on pure 98 octane; they were designed for A-80. Water can was always empty as cap got stolen in Ukraine.

Regardless on all bikes with failed suspension be it Yamaha, BMW or orange brand it was a shock failure not frame. SWM top shock mount is underbuilt for RTW use IMHO.
    mrsdnf and chilejack like this.
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Historically, many other brands have had issues with both frame and shock failures under adv loads- the manufacturers just don't seem to understand that we (ab)use our beasts. :deal

Irrespective if that, your top box acting as a lever for that water/ fuel means the rear was subjected to greater forces than the weight you thought you were carrying. It's already a marginal rear shock !

Examples- the mighty ktm640 adv would crack rear subframes every 20 K ish, the subframe bolts would crack / vibrate loose regularly , and eventually the top shock mount would fail if you didn't stay on top of these issues. Having said that, mine NEVER had any issues despite me carrying significant loads sensibly - I'd have a 20 litre fuel bladder on the pillion seat, those andystrapz panniers in my avatar were mounted as close in and central as possible, and the rear rack only ever carried wet weather gear / snacks. That bike crossed the simpson dessert, did remote trips through far nth Australia including sections of the old Australian Safari route, it had tackled trails in the Victorian High country that left world travellers bikes brocken.....if the swm rs is half as reliable as that bike was I'll be very impressed

My stelvio at least had an easily replaced failure point - the shock and linkage bolts would bend every time I did something silly....

My rd04 Africa twin had a similar designed - the original shock would destroy the lower mounts, but if you upgraded to a decent shock the linkage bolts would bend / snap etc ...I think the official phrase is "user error" :wink:
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) there are no cracks anywhere on subframe or rack mount points.. they should have failed as well if that were the case.

2) the top box was replaced with soft bag long before frame failure, and before that top case partially rested on rear seat.

3) there was an obvious weld defect on right side of mount which was covered by paint. Weld seam was only attached to one piece of the metal but not other one.

4) I have mounted/dismounted enough shocks to say that the gauge of the metal used on SD shock mount is considerably thinner than what is used in other bikes.

I'm not holding this failure against bike as a) the damage to ECU was minimal and it was still useable; b) it was much easier to find a welder than shop to rebuild shock
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, i remember a mate trying to fix a bent elephant shock at Arkaroola - replacing bent shock bolts is easier.

meanwhile, the factory told you the rs shock mount was reinforced? Nice to hear because that's what I'm riding....
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They didn't tell me anything; they were trying to figure how to help me and I said this has been resolved and suggested to reinforce mount. What they do with this is up to them.

Speaking of clutch chatter after backing up, what oil do you have in the bike at the moment?
  11. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm confused? Is the sd shock mount different to the rs or not?
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told Superdual frame is identical to RS650R
  13. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    this is not correct. spare part number frame rs650rs equal to the husky TE630 ..... 8A00H0882. spare part number frame SWM superdual ...... F000A01238
    vsaltao and Dr AT like this.
  14. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    let me pinch in, some guys did also the mongolia on some SDs and they didnt had this frame problem.
    So :

1) All SDs have that problem (they were lucky not to break theirs ) and factory must correct it
    2) Some SDs (cyclo one) had some bad welds but other owners dont "stress" them so much like cyclo is doing on that roads (dunno how SWM can fix this, it should at least extend warranty for the frame for this guys if they fail)

I did check mine rs650r and the welds look ok, but i guess i have one of the firsts and probably an old te630 frame that was in the warehouse in italy.
  15. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    the frames of the TE 630 are painted black. the frames of the rs650r are painted red (you could scratch off some paint and see if the black appears :-))). however the realization standards of TE and RS are the same.
    vsaltao likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is exact wording from email:

Richarde1605 and mrsdnf like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only way I could tell the faulty weld is because there was a paint between 2 pieces of metal where weld was supposed to connect them. The guy who welded it back welded it properly from outside and from inside. IMHO they just need to beef up mount then defective welds wouldn't matter.

Despite this failure I would still get a bike though would keep an eye on mount along with subframe and rear rack bolts.

I went over my luggage and there isn't much I can throw to make it lighter. Perhaps mount smaller RotopaX on crash bars and find a way to fashion tool tube but headers are getting in the way. Maybe skim down to 2 t-shirts instead of 4.
    vsaltao and mrsdnf like this.
  18. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's part of why I went for the RS instead of SD - I figured an rs with 25 litre safari tank was going to make a better travel option than the sd with a rotopax on the back , plus I'd be more likely to carry extra fuel in my turtle pack fuel bladder on the pillion seat instead of something rigid if I was doing the occasional extreme distance ride (I've done a few 750 km between fuel dirt rides on the 640 adv)

In the past I've mounted my tools low - either in a purpose built bashplate like in my avatar or on a tool tube mounted to the bash plate. Mostly because I hate having to dig around in luggage with greasy hands looking for tools if / when I get a maintenance failure.

Not intending to tell you how to suck eggs , just food for thought
  19. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    I recommend this video. you can learn a lot of things ...

Manray and cyclopathic like this.
  20. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I remember SD subframe is steel, RS/SM have aluminium. The main frame should be identical, steel tube.
    cyclopathic likes this.