New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dont think you need to go lighter (as you said you dont have so much weight on it now)
    Maybe go single can (with arrow map) and put the rotopax on the side without the can.
    Or rotopax on back and a great basin like bag putting all the weight on the passenger part of the seat, or a tank sandle with two smaller rotopax over the tank :)
    (all off this are on the table for me because i want to go to Morocco but i dont want to buy a safari tank :) :) )
    7b0d261f-28d1-40fe-90bf-70c41fb75479.jpg
    dynobobs_TE630_DSC02860.jpg
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem isn't as much weight as where it is located on bike. I have ordered cheapo Chinese Akros and exhaust wraps (those side heat shields are cast iron) just need to figure out how to reshaffle the rest.
    chilejack likes this.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could consider mounting the fuel + water either side of the tank? Perhaps get something like this made locally to fit the tanks you have ?
    https://www.nazbags.com.au/product/fuel-bladder-bags/

Alternatively, I'm a big fan of GOOD fuel bladders for infrequent extra capacity storage - fill them when you KNOW it's going to be an extreme distance between stops but have a compact empty bladder the rest of the time. Good ones are expensive, great ones are worth it. Mine is a 20 l turtle pac, the guy who introduced me to them was involved in the early testing - he was literally asked to destroy one. Bouncing it down the road at 120 k didn't work so they tried dropping it from a helicopter. Then used the same bladder to cross the Simpson dessert. Mine is 12 years old and still going strong, I've lost count of how many mates have borrowed it for dessert crossings. At the time, it seemed expensive compared to just strapping on a jerry can , but it's been a great investment https://www.turtlepac.com/products/petrol-gasoline-bladder-marine-tanks/
  4. Orbs

Orbs n00b

Oddometer:
  5. Orbs

Orbs n00b

Oddometer:
    How is this going for you? I'm having tons of problems with mine this sounds similar to part of mine
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How convenient are they (bladders) in daily use? I ran out of gas 3 days in a row in Kazakhstan; mostly due to inattentiveness, gas station hours and desire not to buy questionable quality fuel from black/grey market. Granted with 18L tank you don't need to carry more than 5L emergency reserve.. and they sell water in 5L plastic bottles at gas stations though when you strap one to bike it isn't likely to last more than a few hours strap will vibrate through.

I was thinking along the lines of repurposing 4-5qt Mobil 1/Penzoil oil cans (have a bunch of them in garage) or getting two 2L Motul oil containers. Just need to whip good harness to attach it to bike. Maybe just stuff it in milk crate
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once you've worked out how / where you like to store them they're great - just like using soft panniers instead of hard. Having said that, it sounds like you need to plumb a permanent secondary tank?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows a source/inexpensive alternative for fog light mounting kit, part# A000P02419?
  9. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    i just bought one of these fuel inlet filters. They are pricey but if it prevents fuel pump and injector problems it is worth it. The tests in the video are impressive. It removes water, fine silt, etc. Luckily I have IMS tanks on my Husky and DR650 and can easily move it from one to another. some OEM tanks such as my GS1200 have a more complex installation. This filter would provide peace of mind when you have to use barrel gas or gas from other suspect sources.

https://bestrestproducts.com/product-category/guglatech-fuel-and-air-filters/
    mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the replacement headlight bulb, H4?
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Yes. H4.
  12. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let us know if it really works/worth in tge long-term , can you ?
    chilejack likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have similar product /TwinAir, the same company which makes OEM air filter/ and it is major pain to fill the tank. Takes forever and you have to keep flow really low to prevent shutoff.

Not sure if it did anything but I did meet people who had issues with fuel pump in Central Asia and I didn't.. just saying I wouldn't install one again if fuel in your area is good
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for writing. I remember the test videos or smthng, this GUGLAtech was way more efficient than Tw.air or similar products. Twinair filter seems pretty simple and not effective IMHO.

Good to hear u dont have any issue with pump.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone knows what stator is rated for? 280w?
  16. avianello

avianello Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The factory says 350
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. pepalta

pepalta n00b

Oddometer:
  18. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need to re upload. I get error when clicking.
    Richarde1605 and cyclopathic like this.
  19. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:

He seems to like it. :D
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    This. Cant see your seat pepalta.