New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Your not robbing trucks are you? :D
    stavrouliasp and Richarde1605 like this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    mrsdnf and chilejack like this.
  3. ratguzzi

ratguzzi Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my way out west to Helena, Montana a month back, I ran a Gerbing jacket liner and heated grips on full power for 10 hours straight and the battery was still charged and never cranked slow.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are they rated at? Do you have voltmeter and were checking voltage?
  5. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    A lot of 90 watts for a heater under the jacket. which heated under-jacket do you use? normally these systems absorb as much as a 50/55 watt light bulb .....
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one which came with my Motoport... mada by Warm and Safe.
  7. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was riding my Superdual x yesterday. After a few hours the ABS warning light came on. Bike lost a little bit of power but kept on going. A few mins later the Check Engine light also came on. A few mins later the bike acted like it was runnng out of fuel (but had plenty of fuel) then the bike died. Turned the key off then on. No lcd display and fuel pump didn't prime. A few mins later furned key on, pump primed and lcd came on but bike wouldn't turn over. Managed to jumpstart the bike from a passing 4wd, rode a few mins then ABS light came on. Then check engine. Then died again.

It's in the shop now. Assuming it's a charging problem. Anyone else had this?

One thing to add is that we rode through some heavy rain and the bike was also parked outside in the rain overnight. Also i was riding with sportsbikes and I was at WOT for extended periods.

(Writing this from my RACV funded motel room :drink )

Cheers.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think l read somewhere that the earth to the frame was loose on someone’s bike. Keep us updated on what the problem was.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There're 2 negative cables one at the top to subframe and another to frame behind airbox (you can açcess from left side) check if it's loose or corroded
  10. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okiedoke. Diagnosis is that the reg rec is fried. Interestingly the wires coming off the the reg rec plug are all fried. So it might need a new rec and a new wiring loom.
    Don't know too much yet. Getting RACV to transport it and myself back home.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's sounds more likely; I thought it's easier RR or stator. Aprilia forums and to lesser CafeHusky full of people replacing RR and we've got the same unit.

It is on my to-do list to replace RR with series.. I have done it in the past. You need series RR, Triumph link and plug out of old RR don't throw old away yet. I will try to find a post from 3 years ago on how-to; just need to get some sleep

Edit: my condolences; how about the rest of the electronics? If wire to battery is fried I fear for the rest. Did battery short? Or RR failed and caused the rest?
    mrsdnf likes this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m no sparky but I’d say a bad connection with enough current running through it may also cook the wiring. At cyclopathic,so there is a fix by the sound of it. Interested to see what you come up with.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another possibility there was a short in the wiring harness somewhere. I would be interested to know where is the spot we need to keep an eye on.

I had a kwak many years ago which was known on occasion to short wire under the tank. I would hope the short should be either battery or wire from RR to battery and the rest got protected by fuses
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the plug and wiring that comes off theb ottom of the reg rec.

Looks like it got quite hot. It has also slightly blistered the plastic on the air box and slightly discolored the subframe below it.

20191105_125109.jpg
    phreakingeek and mrsdnf like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Failed plug? Corrosion? If there was 1 ohm resistance at 27A it's 27W; enough to melt it down. If bad contact spark would do damage even quicker.

I'm going to check on mine and put a little bit of dielectric grease when I get to bike.

Was bike dunk in the water or stored in humid conditions? Corroded copper is semiconductor and will act as resistor. If there was bad contact vibration can cause welding arc.. just saying.

I would take it up with dealer and SWM it should a warranty issue.
  16. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, not dunked in water. Stored in garage.

The wire bends very tightly below the plastic plug. Perhaps too tightly and it split???

Definitely a warranty issue (and will have oil strainer also changed) Booking it in tomorrow and will get a service done too.

Will keep you updated.

On a side note, bike has 7000 km on it now so is this a valve clearance service?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello ya'll!:clap
    i am a new SD (june 2018model) owner... well for about a month now and have over 2000km on it now.
    I love the bike, but it has it's downsides. it's very lean, but i did see the Lambda mod etc in this thread. ( Will look into that this weekend )

What i did change last weekend was the chain and the rear sprocket... i went 5 tooth up at the rear. and what a different bike that is now!

Also thinking of the arrow cans...BUT... i have ear damage form riding my KTM 640 akra... ALLOT... so i am pretty hesitant with loud pipes.
    But does it really add more grunt to the bike with the arrow mapping?

AND final question, did anyone already use the Arrow mapping on stock exhaust?

Sorry for my bad english, but i live in Belgium... so yeah...:muutt
    cyclopathic likes this.
  18. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SD is currently running arrow map with stock exhaust (did have ebay pipes on it) and is running very well.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thnx for the update! i might check in with the dealer for that.
    Test ride it... and if it isn't great, i can still ask to do the stock mapping anyway.
  20. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, r u running arrow map with stock exhaust or ebay ones?? Ebay ones are most probably more open to flow I guess...
    And how much are they louder than the stocks if you could test them?