New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great!
    So the 45 tooth sprocket fit ok with the chain guard?

Also do you do ride on the freeway? If so, how fast and how do you find it?

Thanks.
    MotoSly likes this.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, i forgot to say it's the T version, so from 38 to 43 tooth now.
    no problems with the chain guard.

I do ride Freeway, and i used to keep around 135kmph on the freeway, that has now dropped to 125/130kmph... so not that big of a difference. ( going faster than 125/130 feels a bit high rev.. (could be wrong though))
    Some of the freeway stuff is short, but i easely take it for a ride of 2hours on the freeway, no problem.

Going to London to meet Lyndon Poskit , it's about a 4 hours ride to London + channel crossing... than meet Lyndon, sleep, take the ride back.. and that is 95percent freeway
    phreakingeek and cyclopathic like this.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Wow. What a mess. Any official explanation on what went wrong? Was the regulator ok?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have swapped ebay pipes to my new RS650R and put stock pipes back on SD and haven't bothered going back to stock map on SD as it runs better than ever now with Arrow map/stock pipes. Ebay pipes are a bit loud even with baffles in, only benefit is weight loss.
    Syanur and mrsdnf like this.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update CapeG650X. Did your SD standard mufflers have cats in them?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which ones did you have? Akro with triangular port? Have a picture?

I'm doing replacement/heat wrap only because of the weight savings OEM cans and especially that cast iron shield on right side weight a metric ton.
  7. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Originals 4kg each with cats, ebay 1.2kgs each. I have an Arrow can in the shed which i may use for a single exhaust on the RS? 20180709_154347.jpg 20190912_120705.jpg
    Rotax655, mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Interesting to hear the bike runs well with the Arrow map and stock mufflers.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW a while back I talked to dealer and he told me that as a part of the arrow map install software takes TPS and oxygen sensor reading and calibrates to them so this negates need for TPS mod and possibly is the main reason people see drastic improvement after flush.. just saying.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just come back from a week long trip away and serviced the SD. Mileage is at 15000 Km. What a surprise the bike had for me. Checking the valve clearances the intakes were spot on. One exhaust had less than 2 thou clearance and the other had zero clearance. I had to push the valve down manually to move the sub rocker out of the way.
    The off idle stumble the bike has had from new has all but disappeared and the hard starting which has progressively been getting worse is no longer.
    I was told by the dealer that these did not need the valve clearances checking until 15000 Km. I'd say that this is probably correct and my exhaust clearances were more than likely tight from the factory. I'd be interested in others findings here.
    I still have a water pump leak which I've narrowed down to being the seal on the impeller shaft and not the o'ring on the housing.
    The sump plug was modified by drilling it out and installing a rare earth magnet, 8mm x 8mm round in it for peace of mind.
    Oil consumption to date is zero between changes.

The trip was 4500 Km in total off which approx 1000 Km was on unmade roads. To say I'm in love with the bike would be an understatement. On the loose corrugated undulating surfaces with a load on board the SD handled superbly at speeds around 80 to 100 KPH.
    At times 91 or 95 grade fuel was all that was available but the bike did not miss a beat as long as the revs were kept up and the motor not lugged. 300 Km range was easily achieved.
    Longest day in the saddle was the last, Port Augusta to home, 1140Km.

Early morning on the Oodnadatta track.

[​IMG]

Coffee and a coke beckoned.[​IMG]

Trevor Wright has an orsm set up here. Dad and I on a previous trip was accommodated beyond expectations when an on the spur of the moment plan was about to go hay wire.
    [​IMG]

The place to be if you like flys.
    [​IMG]
    MotoSly, AMGrrr, Creechure and 6 others like this.
  11. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    could you explain the problem of the water pump better and how did you solve it?
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://powerhousemotorcycles.com.au/partFinder/fiche/swm/2017/superdual/15-cooling-system#ficheZone
    Number 37 in the link is an o'ring that sits in the water pump impeller housing, number 36.
    Number 41 houses the water pump seal, number 40 and bearing, 42. This seal is leaking on my bike and has been since new.
    There is a weep hole in the bottom of 41 to prevent coolant getting into the engine if the seal leaks.
    You cant see the weep hole in the below picture but it is just to the left of the bottom bolt on the water pump housing.

[​IMG]
    cyclopathic and Rotax655 like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mod isn't necessary; the other plug already has magnet for collecting. I keep a neodim magnet on this plug too but there was zero accumulation.. it has "clean" oil on that side.

Is there fesh-fesh on that track or just sand?
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what fesh is. The track ranges from hard clay, loose sand and rocks. Just depends on where you are.
    Edit. I should have mentioned corrugations. Doesn't matter what the surface is they are there. :-)
  15. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fesh fesh is another name for bull dust. Those big patches of deep bull dust.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    :-) Ok. Yes small patches of Fesh Fesh but not a great deal.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.redbull.com/int-en/videos/what-is-fesh-fesh-everything-you-wanted-to-know

corrugations? We call it washboard; the worse one I have seen was on Pamir. Superdual did fine but you have to keep speed high at 38mph bike becomes airborne and skips on top. Kev who was on '08 690 said it was 45 for him he probably ran a little bit less damping.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  18. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, I remembered your previous posts, they look very nice btw. I had searched before, there are 1 size longer version of these ebay pipes, almost the same length of stocks. I wonder if they are as quite as the stock one? They will not save 5.5 kg in total but maybe 5, which is still a lot.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weight difference is <1/3lbs minimal the longer is 470mm vs 370.. and they're fiberglass packed so you need ~1000km of hard riding to loosen up fill for more power and make it quieter. FWIW that cast iron shield in the picture weights almost as much as exhaust can or it would seem so.