1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its nice, weight difference is very less. What you have is 470mm I think??
    This is what I was referring for long version btw, 570mm;
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/LBrzVwnUB

Yes they are packed with fib.glass things but as my experiences with them they absolutely getting louder after ~1000km ride. I wish otherwise.

Italians are great designers but sometimes strange too. They use weak and more expensive aluminium side stand for weight saving(I respect that even it has least effect on weight feeling since its the lowest point) then heavy metals on underseated exhaust...very very Italian!))
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen reviews where people had taken fiberglass packed exhausts (Leo? Yosh) to race track and the dyno after weekend showed x2 increase in hp compared to freshly installed. This is due to fiberglass wear/internal volume increase.

I ordered a set of exhausts and heat pipe wrap will install them when I get back to bike.. for weight saving to compensate for luggage and bring front/rear balance back.

With regards to "strange" engineering decisions the kickstand is exactly the same as on TE so they just ordered what was previously there.. and the heavy parts are of new origin. I have considered drilling out rivets and de-cating stock cans but for $78 total it wasn't worth it IMHO
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sidestands are different between all 3 models - I have an rs 650 and when I bought a superdual x wheelset it came with the sd x side stand - shorter and a different bend to the rs, plus it has a bigger footplate to cope with the extra weights. I'm actually running the sdx stand on my rs because a full 25 litre safari tank plus luggage on the back increases the static sag enough to make the rs stand too long. When I get around to fitting correct springs I'll put the rs stand back on. Yes, I know changing side stand lengths rather than fitting correct spring weights is stupid - it's just a temporary fix whilst I wait for the suspension to bed in.
    mrsdnf and Rotax655 like this.
  4. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks amazing mate! I hope to do the same when it cools down a bit next year. Interested to hear how you travelled with fuel.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are still made by the same supplier..

IMHO the issue with kickstand it's too close to center line I had an extension welded to mine and ground at bottom back in Ukraine.. got tired dealing with this shit.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I travelled with an extra ten litres, 2 x 5 litre plastic Jerry cans in the pannier, of fuel but it wasn't really needed as 300 Km was not an issue between refills. The Jerry cans are the orange plastic ones from SCA. Been on a few trips now and so far no leaks and they have the flexible funnel stored in the container so it does not fill up with dirt etc. The fuel was handy though when only 91 was available.
  7. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the sidecases that come with this bike givi trekker made for swm?
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea if the hard panniers were made specifically for SWM. Mine sit on the shelf unused.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were branded trekker originally but this year they are not.. still the same case just made by different company. That's what SWM people told me
    sbn likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I knew that and bought racks only
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those of you looking for crash bar bags found a company that makes them and they are good value and waterproof. I can also confirm that they hold a 5l jerry can which is handy.

www.lomo.co.uk

Lomo front.jpg Lomo front.jpg

Attached Files:

sbn, mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  12. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Official explanation is that it is a tight bend below the regulator causes a rise in resistance, causes a rise in temperature, causes rise in resistance etc. which ends up in it melting.

It's in the shop now. Don't know if the regulator is ok.

Will update again when I get it back.
    Syanur, cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report back AMGrr. I will have to check with some sparky mates if thats possible.
    AMGrrr likes this.
  14. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It won't be. This is a common problem with these reg/recs, they are a very common item with small differences but they're essentially all the same. First make sure ALL the connections are clean and protected from contamination and then run a decent sized auxiliary earth from one of the reg/rec mounting bolts direct to the battery negative.

Most of these meltdowns are due to poor earthing.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of earthing when I talked to dealer about bike cutting off under acceleration he said he had similar issue with his bikes and he traced it to bad earth to main frame behind the airbox..
    mrsdnf likes this.
  16. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    You plan to eat your Superdual? I advise against this, as did Aprilia in some of their handbooks in the early 2000's.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    " suck it up princess" lost in translation?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google spell checker.. corrected
  19. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, i am traveling from Antwerp to London tomorrow for the meet and greet with Lyndon Poskit.... i was just heading home and noticed one of the "fog"lights (right side) isn't working...
    When i start my bike cold start, the right side stays on for about 5 seconds.. when it flip the switch to turn it "off" and back on again, it flashes once and that's it... but when my bike is off for a while, and flip the "fog"light switch again, it does the same thing.. 5 seconds.. and than nothing... flip the switch again, and just a short flash...

Any suggestions on what could be wrong? i don't have time to go to a mechanic.. so any suggestions would be great on where and what to check?....
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely the light is dying and the symptoms are consistent with dying LED.

Other possiblity corroded contacts. Check connector to light plug/unplug a couple times and click that POS switch a few hundred times. I have had the same switch on previous bike for fog lights and for ABS and they are not bomb proof would start acting up especially after getting wet.

When you you see Lyndon tell him I hate that mofu he lives my dream