1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes when you take cover off its 4/5 o'clock from clutch.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    See this screenshot
    The filter is the number 1

Screenshot_2019-12-14-13-09-23-622_cn.wps.moffice_eng.jpg
    mrsdnf and cyclopathic like this.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Do you have a direct link to the bags you used T T?
  4. Tarmac Teaser

Tarmac Teaser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here you go. https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/motorcycle-crash-bar-dry-bags.html#SID=118

On the subject of the oil strainer that breaks up it affects bikes manufactured before april 2019. It is not a warranty recall as there haven't been enough bikes affected to make it a recall. The strainer breaks up depositing metal in the oil which can create havoc inside the engine. The new part is not expensive AUS $35.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Thanks for the link.
  6. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you adjust the idle? Mine's too low. About 13-1400 rpm and the engine can cut out.
  7. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Hello all. This SD 600 has been catching my eye. Looks like a bike with potential.
    It also looks like a bike that could disappear as fast as as it showed up. Have the X and the T both been available in the US?
    I am a PNW person where there is a dealer (Franks) in operation (gotta call).
    Is the 144 kg (317 lbs) accurate? (without fuel) That seems pretty light if it includes racks? ...Are the seats different from the X to the T?
    Many questions, which a particular inmate has been helpful with... (thanks).
    I read of small issues here & there, and we know Husky of the era went through evolution to remedy issues. Did I read of a too long kickstand??
    I am 170 lbs, 5'10" tall (31" inseam) and I'm experienced. I can one foot a bike. I travel very light.
    Thanks, I'll follow up as needed. Curiosity is going!
  8. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I stopped by Frank’s for something else today and took a look at the super dual. Nice seeming bike. It fits small but most bike do for me at 6’6”. Make a bench seat for it and all will be good. I don’t have funds for a new bike this year as too many other projects happening. I’m watching though. This could be the perfect “modern” DR650.
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  9. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:

I stopped by Frank’s for something else today and took a look at the super dual. Nice seeming bike. It fits small but most bike do for me at 6’6”. Make a bench seat for it and all will be good. I don’t have funds for a new bike this year as too many other projects happening. I’m watching though. This could be the perfect “modern” DR650.
  10. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I went to the dealer and asked if they can adjust the idle. The guys said that there isn't an idle adjustment screw. Something about having to plug the dealer computer in to reset the throttle position sensor which should reset the throttle. Does that sound right?
  11. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    this is correct for models with Euro4 anti-pollution standards. for Euro3 models there is an adjustment screw
    AMGrrr likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure where 144/317 came from; I think it was dry weight for RS650R. SD650T/X ready to ride without fuel weight 169kg on website and with full tank was weighted at 186kg.. 410lbs? It weights as much as any other sub-400lbs bike be it DR650, Versys X, G310GS, 390ADV, KTM 690 when you add center stand, bashplate, engine guards and extra fuel. You can make Superdual lighter by 20-25lbs relatively easy and inexpensive; a couple Chinese Akros for $35-60ea, exhaust wrap to ditch cast iron heat shields and lithium battery.

US model both T and X came with comfort seat which makes seat 1/2" lower on T and 1/2" higher on X. Seat is narrower at the front so both Superdual and X-Country (32.5" seat) feel about the same to my 29" inseam. With 31" you shouldn't have any issues to get ball of the foot on both sides.

Issue with kickstand that it's too close to center line; so bike is easy to tip over and sensitive to luggage/rear preload setting. This makes hard sometimes to find a spot to dismount; I spent 20min sitting on the bike on Stelvio once. Honda was filming NSX commercial and tunnel was closed; I ended up sitting on the bike in banked turn with right foot. We welded extension; you would need to find an aftermarket kickstand foot. Perhaps TE630 kickstand relocate solutions would work too good luck.
  13. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Maybe you are not on a USA SWM website? Or our USA website is incorrect?
    The USA website (Motoman Distributing) states the SWM Super Dual X at 144kg (converts to 317 lbs). It doesn't call it a 650 and the specs show it at 600cc.
    Maybe a confusion on weights somewhere in translation. Huge difference. ...Just what I've read up. https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm-superdual-x
    SWM does not stand behind their specs anyhow (stated on their web page).

For such a simple thing... the kickstand. I've had a few wonky side stands over the years. They piss you off out on a ride somewhere. But I've always been able to find 'the angle' to park my bike at.
    I would do the needed parts swaps to keep the bike as light as possible ...easily.
    Hmmm (leaning towards KTM)
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they stand behind specs and don't lie more than anyone else (certainly not on the same level as KTM has been known to):
    https://www.swm-motorcycles.it/models/superdual/

Posted weight hasn't changed since 2017 so likely doesn't include Euro4 extras, ABS and perhaps exhausts?

IIRC inmate had exhausts weighted at 5.2kg each (china Akros are 1.3) and stock YTX14 battery is big and heavy at 10.5lbs. the right side heat shield was almost as much in my hands as exhaust can.

For me 390ADV is attractive due to TFT but would probably be a non-starter due to cast wheels and as a first year model; and I doubt we will see any in showrooms before fall. That and less range, -25% hp and essentially same weight (379lbs base + 6lbs extra gas + engine guards + metal skid plate + center stand)

690 is here but older ones are paint shakers and new ones aren't cheap when farkled out.

Are you looking for a trail bike or travel bike? Inmate here got his SD down to 157kg with 14L of fuel but that by essentially stripping OEM farkles good luck.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  15. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    I can't vouch for weights, true or not. I am merely reading whats on the SWM USA website. My knowledge of SWM is limited, other than they are ex Italian Husky. Mostly.
    I owned a 690. Phenomenal bike, from 5mph to 105 mph. It was also the worst KTM I owned due to problematical electrical from new. And flame outs. I have a friend who has a 701, and it is a wheelying barnstormer. Nice machine.

My wants on a small bike? Regional travel. Ultralight camping & credit card travel too. Two track 99% for off pavement. Or an easy flowing singletrack.
    Been on some too tight stuff on my 950... I hate fighting weight when I can't finesse.
    With the limited ground clearance the 390 has, I will stay away from rocky stair step trails. Been there, grounded out on that. :fpalm
    Till the 390 comes out, its all speculation based of of specs & KTM history.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps take a look at CRF250L regular or Rally? I have seen them cheap not a big seller in US.. don't understand why. I did a swap with the guy on a ride.. was impressed and he got impressed with my Superdual. Electric smooth engine, 70mpg+, and he kept with everyone going 80 sometimes. 10" of clearance, decent suspension for budget bike will probably need a stiffer rear spring. Of cause it will not cruise at 95mph loaded like my Superdual but it doesn't need to.

Another option is to find old G650 X-Country or X-Challenge or perhaps even Terra but those were heavier. Or look at new Beta 430 if seat height isn't turn off.

As said earlier I don't expect ADV ready 390 Adventure be more than 10lbs lighter than Superdual; I have weighted bashplates at 6.5lbs, center stand at 9.5 and engine guards at 7.6 and there isn't any way I would have bike without them. Superdual comes with all of that; saved me trouble and $$$ looking for this stuff. Engine is sweet smoother than Rotax powered thumpers and after break-in and a couple oil changes even Wee-strom I had before. For me a definite keeper but is it a bike for you for you to decide.

EDIT: Also how about WR250R?
    simmons1 and mrsdnf like this.
  17. StormShearon

StormShearon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I stopped by Franks in Bellevue today and took a look at the Superdual X. I like what I saw - the bike looks good in person. For the folks here who have owned one for awhile - either the X or T - how are they on road? I mostly stay on two lane except when it is absolutley necessary to get on a freeway, so am mostly concerned about how comfortable they are up to 60 to 70 mph. I am currently riding a Multistrada 950 and am looking for lighter, competent all around performance.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The T is fine can't say for X. Feels very flickable at the beginning and good canyon carver; more like supermoto than Superdual. This is largely due Tourances.

Engine has some vibe at the beginning then it smoothes out after couple oil changes. Feels much smoother than Rotax anywhere from 15 to 95mph. At 90+ indicated it became somewhat unstable but it may be due to side bags on mine. Will sit at 85 all day long.

Gearing on T is somewhat high; shift point from 1 to 2 17mph and you don't really shift to 6th until 45. 14t on T is good idea would bring gearing down to that of X.

Fueling below 26-2700 is lean for emissions if you get bike get dealer to install Arrow map after break in good luck.
  19. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel the same way about mine
    Went with a 21 on the front for better dirt manners
    The instability goes away if you seat back a little with the 19 inch wheel(no panniers)
    Also with the 21 inch goes away
  20. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Latest update. Dealer called me and they haven't been able to get it idling right. He told me that the ignition coil is faulty. They are putting in a warranty claim with SWM and once approved they will replace it.
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.