New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    From a different type of rider to cyclopathic with the standard gearing I'd normally change into sixth around 90 to 95 KPH. You can ride around at 80 KPH in sixth but the bike is a lot happier in fifth at that speed.
    I went the other way with gearing by adding a tooth to the front sprocket. The case protector will not fit with this sprocket. After a couple of thousand kays I reverted back to the standard gearing. The bike lost its spark with the one tooth bigger front sprocket.
    I rarely ever rev the bike harder than a guestimated 6000 rpm. In this country they like to book you at anything 3 KPH above the speed limit and I'm to old to be a boy racer these days.
    The rear sprocket on the T model has two less teeth.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They replaced the ignition coil. They said that they tested it and it was faulty.
    Upon starting the bike and when it was at operation temp it did idle at about 1650. Sometimes the revs would drop.

The tech came out and shrugged. Said they tested it and it was fine. Then the revs dropped and it stalled. He said that everything was checked and is fine. They can't control the idle as it's part of the ignition map and it has the latest map in it.

So I rode it. It was generally ok. At lights sometimes it idled correctly and sometimes the revs dropped but it didn't stall.

Might take it out for a ride on Monday and hit some trails and see how it goes.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope its all ok.
  4. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sheared (Well lost one without realising) the subframe bolt which shoots through the pillion passenger frame today. Was running over some particular rocky stuff.

End result because the frame sagged my centre stand canoned into the bottom of my exhaust. Left hand exhaust pushed itself out of the can and halfway out of the bottom join!

Wowsers!
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get 12.9 from Lowe's and put it on red loctite. And while at it loctite top ones too they get loose as well though for them blue is fine. Both of mine cracked on the trip good luck.
    Creechure and mrsdnf like this.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you go with the dealer?
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - the rs 650 comes out standard with a 42 rear sprocket and imho that's perfect for dual sport riding . Around 100 kph the motor is just starting to wake up and if anything it feels smoother than using the superdual sprocket. Mire importantly, no need to torture the clutch for low speed riding. If your chain is near the rear adjustment with a 40 it'll be midway through with a 42.

I have 2 sets of wheels and vary between rear 40,42, and 44 teeth - a 42 is a great compromise
  8. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taking it in this Saturday. They mentioned over the phone that the sub-frame bolts had a recall over them which is interesting.

I'll have to have a chat to them RE the exhaust. All of the connectors seem a bit loose.

The other item i'm having continual issues with is my right fork seal, I' ve gone through 3 in the spake of 7000kms. Anyone else had on-going issues with fork seals?

After riding on some agressive trails last weekend I'm keen to up the rear sprocket. I find it a bit tricky to lift the front over some sections. How have those who've adjusted gearing found the power delivery / ease of wheelie.
  9. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Popping the front over obstacles has more to do with clutch control / technique than gearing - even with the SD gearing you can get the front up in 3rd (and anything faster than that the rear suspension on the sd will bottom as you hit an object - at least that was my experience from the brief test ride I did - much less of a problem on my rs!! )

The real difference with the 42 is you can ride along at walking pace without slipping the clutch, then accelerate in 1st without the clutch and still spin the back to tighten a corner.
    Dracula likes this.
  10. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the fork seals, if its not dirt getting under the seal, which seams odd since its always the right side, I would guess there's a nick or possible bad spot on the tube itself. If it is dirt there are ways to clean it out and I like seal savers on USD forks although some don't.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had mine replaced at Suspensions R Us at my expense at from memory 5000 km. Think they are the SKF ones. Did a oil change at the same time and the forks seem to be a lot better.
    With the standard seals I did run a feeler gauge around them a couple of times. Probably should do the SKF seals before they start leaking.
    Dr AT and cyclopathic like this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question. Does anyones radiator stay full. Mine consistently pushes coolant out the over flow bottle so the coolant level is always just below the top of the fins. Doesn't take much to top up but is pointless.
  13. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

UPDATE!!!!!

Hello folk,

i have been away for more than 2 months here ( work etc. )

But here is the verdict: After 3 months at the dealer, i got the email that SWM is going to GIVE me a brand new engine... the only think i have to pay is working hours + suplements.
    This will be a pretty costly thing, but i am glad SWM gives me the engine under waranty ( although it took them almost 3 months to figure that out ).
    Nevertheless i am STOKED! happy i am going to get my bike back this month with a fresh engine.

So... patience pays i gues...
  14. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update MotoSly.
    MotoSly likes this.
  15. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a very generous offer from swm - the oil strainers were being replaced under warranty so that motor SHOULD have been saved by a dealer service , but then again those cr@ppy strainers were a known and accepted problem. Make sure that new motor has the updated screen !!!
    Richarde1605 and MotoSly like this.
  16. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    visually how do you recognize the "improved" filter ?. it would take photos....
  17. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah i am very pleased!

I will ask the dealer to verify that the updated screen is in the engine.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. pepalta

pepalta n00b

Oddometer:
    New look. IMG_20191106_153339.jpg
  19. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, Got the call from the SWM dealer yesterday, my bike is ready!

The total cost was €1798,-, this includes the NEW engine, working hours, fluids, transport for the engine to get from Italy to Belgium, and the transport for the dealer to pick up my bike ( aprox 50km ).

All in all, this is not a bad deal!

Pictures will be posted soon, have some plans for the bike :thumb
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like plans. Make sure you post them up. :-)
    MotoSly likes this.