New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All, I am going to replace a 2012 F650GS twin BMW and was considering this bike. The SWM 650X, the closest dealer is 3.5 hrs away and I have read this site quite a bit. Dealer says he will be responsive and seemed like he was upfront. Some of the specs seem to vary. Are riders finding the ground clearance enough, my BMW is low, even lower with the BDCW bash pan. Would someone give me a good measurement 18x21 tires on the ground clearance. The bike would see a lot of woods riding. Is the bash plate sufficient enough to bash it? thanks.
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    With the bike upright with no weight on it I have about 200mm ground clearance. I wouldn't go bashing the standard bash plate on rocks. It is only 3mm thick and not that solidly mounted.
  3. oakcutter

oakcutter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, wish there was more dealer presence in my area.
  4. TheDan

TheDan n00b

Oddometer:
    Only 2,000km on the clock and the fucking bike (‘18 Superdual X) is having issues starting even when warm.

The battery was fully charged, good fuel, oil was done at the recommended first service then topped up.

Not fucking impressed when it didn’t want to start at the bottom of a massive hill climb.

Any thoughts beyond a remap? Again the electrics seem fine.
  5. panchogarrancho

panchogarrancho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine never done that but sometimes on the first star of the morning it will take 2-3 attempts,until I found that if you flick the run switch two or 3 times the pump will prime better and will start immediately
    mrsdnf likes this.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I had to do this on mine when I unknowingly had a tight exhaust valve.
    Fixed the valve clearances. Now I start with the kill switch on. Turn the key on, kill switch off and hit the starter straight away.
    TheDan and Dr AT like this.
  7. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For riding in the woods, consider AJP PR7. Same engine but lighter weight bike with better front suspension and 300mm of ground clearance.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are not street legal in US.
  9. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for US update. When you bought your SWM in Europe, were you able to claim back the VAT?
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not bought my Superdual in Europe; it was purchased, registered and plated in US.

US price is very similar to EU there is no difference you pay VAT we pay sales tax and US MSRP is higher due to import.
    redolga likes this.
  11. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Remap and flow throughs are the best way to cure that.
    Also starting it in neutral helps alot (and a lithium batt also as more starting power)
    cyclopathic and MotoSly like this.
  12. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remapping with what maps? cause SWM isn't giving any info on mapping.
    Flow troughs, can you explain please?
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Arrow map which provides a better fueling when EFI in open loop mode.

Main advantage of remapping that programmer calibrates TPS which improves cold starts, idling and on/off throttle response.

People always assume that OEM mapping is too lean for emissions but most of the time it's opposite. If you look at spark arrestors they are black because catalytic converter needs rich mixture to operate.
    MotoSly likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad fuel? I had issues with bike not wanting to idle at altitude but it could have been the donkey piss in gas..

If exhaust valves it wouldn't be as much issue with warm starts from what you are desiscribing sounds like TPS calibration do remap good luck.
  15. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thnx for explaining!!!
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    @TheDan are you starting bike in neutral? If in gear the clutch has tendency to bind and makes starts harder.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  17. TheDan

TheDan n00b

Oddometer:
    In neutral after toggling the kill switch a couple of times to get the fuel pump going. It isn't an issue with cold starts either as I had just finished a long descent on a hot day, turned the bike off for 3 minutes and then it didn't want to start. I'm taking it into the mechanic this weekend and will report his findings.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are taking to dealer ask about map flash; it supposed to help with TPS calibration. At least that's what my dealer explain me.

Also I found that this Italian princess is sensitive to gas brand/grade. Not specifically but if it started doing something like this I would put a tankfull of high grade quality drink and it would go away. Short on/off cycles result in carbon build up and long runs with good gas would help clean it.

Yes the fuelling at idle/low rpm is a weak spot on Superdual but it's nothing on the scale of BMW Rotax bikes. The biggest difference that on SWM it's "Italian crap" where on BMW it's "character".
    MotoSly likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    redolga likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Look at a 690/701 too if you are a heavy woods rider. That's the best handling woods bike in the big thumper class at this point.

Used TR650s are available and other option too.