New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. CaptnineT

CaptnineT n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't currently need to ride in the dark, but thinking of this problem for the future.
    I'm going to try to mask off the screen to the same contour as the white fairing underneath, then spray that section on the underside of the screen in white first, followed by matt black. May also need to spray the 'hidden' section of the fairing in matt black too.
    We'll see. :dunno
    cyclopathic likes this.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check my previous post with picture :) that really helped, and it looks awesome i.m.o.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't compare chinese with westerners; those guys convert stadiums, built hospitals in 10 days and stayed home without government telling them so; neighbors were bringing food for quarantined.

From estimates I have seen it will take 3-6mo for it to run its course; the only hope warm weather will stop spread.. afrerall it's just a flu even if it is a bad one.
    redolga likes this.
  4. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True, and totally agree... but Corona also is happening in the warmer parts of the world, so i think summer isn't going to beat it.
    hensmen likes this.
  5. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    unfortunately it is not much more than a simple flu and those who get infected end up 90% in intensive care. here in Italy we have all been home for over a week. only the agricultural and food industry equipment remains open. is will be so at least until April 3. other nations such as France Germany are now starting to address the problem. until a week ago they thought it was "like a flu or little more"

MotoSly likes this.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not the same bike, but My Terra (which I think does have the same headlight) threw tons of reflected light on my screen.
    A piece of pipe insulation cut in 1/2 filled the gap and stopped the glare.

20200317_061107.jpg

A little black tape over the blinding high beam light too.
    20200317_061157.jpg
    CaptnineT, cyclopathic and MotoSly like this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I saw the numbers on Italy; mind-blowing

Forgive me for analogy what I meant that it is spreading like flu so epidemic should take similar time to run its course.
  8. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    True and not true. Look at this constantly updated list of countries infected with death totals:
    https://www.outbreak.my/world
    The sunbelt countries (where there is adequate Vitamin D during winter months) have very low death and infection. Even looking at poorer developing countries like India, Peru, Thailand, Mexico, Lebanon, Kuwait, Colombia, Kenya, Tunisia (most of Africa) etc...very low infection and more important very low deaths. Also, the constant focus about infections aren't reliable because the PCR results for COVID19 are "Specificity" rather than "Sensitivity" tests. A 90% specificity PCR test means if you test 100 people "WITHOUT" infection, 10 people will "FALSELY" test for COVID19. This is one way of ramping up the infection rate. The more people are tested, the more infections...basic math. Statistics is a mathematicians trick. Therefore, deaths are what you need to look at to determine the severity of a virus. Remember, over 95% of the deaths are from people over the age of 70. Many are over the age of 80. Most have underlying reparatory problems like TB.

The irony is, if you stay indoors and don't get sunlight and fresh air, you are likely to get sick. During the Spanish Flu pandemic, doctors realized that patients with the flu recovered much faster when they were outside in the sun with fresh air compared with patients inside under quarantine. This is what doctors learned over 100 years ago.
    XDragRacer and MotoSly like this.
  9. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    What's happening in Italy is terrible. I have friends and family in the Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol region between the ages of 3 to 40 years old and 70 to 80 years old.

average age italy.jpg
  10. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    the age group of deaths is lowered. at 58 I am not immune. the situation is very very worrying here
  11. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    currently there is only one order for all of Italy. stay home for now until April 3 ...... but extensions are not excluded. only in this way is there any hope of coming out unscathed
  12. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    Yes, isolate but do find time to get some sun light. Rome should be getting very nice soon. Read this about sunlight and virus (5 mins):

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/coron...from-the-1918-influenza-pandemic-509151dc8065
  13. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    currently on the internet we are bombarded with "false news" or "half-truths" here are some fakenews that are online

https://www.marionegri.it/magazine/coronavirus-e-fake

http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/ne...=italiano&menu=notizie&p=dalministero&id=4045
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would not be surprised when they do. Here in states they predict maximum on May 1st.
  15. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    in the United States you are at the beginning of the epidemic
  16. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mind boggling question for the long term owners:

I have my sons SWM Superdual here in Australia, and it's only got about 3000kms on it. Recently reflashed with the Barret map to see if that addressed the cold starting and surging issues, which it seemed to do. No other modifications. Bog stock standard.

Took son with me on a trail ride a couple of weekends ago, and after running for an hour or so, the SWM did not want to start. Sounded like it was slightly slow cranking, would only fire for a second or so every 4th or 5th attempt. I kept turning the ignition on and off a couple of times, thinking it might be a fuel pressure issue (possibly blocked filter) and hoping that if it worked we could nurse it home. It started, and once running it ran fine.

Got home, would not start.

I went over the circumstances of each incident and tried to replicate it. I was actually talking to a mate about the KTM of his that I'm trying to get running (450 with no spark...don't get me started) and he suggested I check the side stand switch. This made no sense to me as it was cranking. But I tried. What I found was pretty weird.

Bike will not start with side stand down. It turns over, fires for a few seconds every 4th or 5th go, but will not run. Put the side stand up, fires first hit. It used to work fine starting with the side stand down.

I stalled it in traffic this morning, and I pulled the clutch in and tried to start it...nope. Slow cranking and not firing. Rolled to the side of the road, found neutral, hit starter, fired first go and ran fine.

Only since the remap by the dealer. That's the only thing I can think of.

Anyone ever have similar issues?
  17. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Check all the earths from the battery. Make sure all the bolts are tight.
  18. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Snowy, you mentioned a "Barrett Map", what is that? Where did you get that done? (I have Barrett exhausts as well;-) )
  19. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wright Motorcycles, Yass.

They flashed the ECU and had the bike on the dyno to check the fuelling with the standard exhaust. Normally they run it with the Barret exhaust, and get about 8hp gain. The standard system flows pretty good, so they tried it as a way of improving the fuelling for the idle and off idle snatchiness. From my understanding of the 2nd hand info. It rode great afterwards, and still does. Just has a starting gremlin.
  20. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidestand switch or clutch switch can play up on them also ask the guys at Wrights about the tip over sensor. Common issue on the RS650R's but should not work on SD's i believe, (the remap may have reinstated it?)