New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Thanks Snowy, seems like a trip to Yass is in order. (Via the back roads)
  2. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Portugal is in a semi lockdown now also, we have some cases but a low death rate (for now atleast)
    Regarding uv´s, Italians and Portuguese even at home will take sun baths if they can, we do love the sun :).
    In my opinion Italy is gonna be a statistic outlier , very old population with very high social interactions and with a "high" income (wich drives socialization on closed spaces even forther), also i think they closed schools but didnt put the parents (at least one) home so kids went to the grand parents (kids dont have sintoms but can transmit it), all of this created a snowball effect... (italy also is a outlier regarding flu deaths when compared with the rest of europe).

damn i need this to pass fast so i can go for a ride....
  3. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    in Italy there is currently the seizure of the bike if you go for a ride without a valid and important justification
  4. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here we are not yet there, but i dont want to risk to injure myself and take a hospital bed from someone in needd, so i stay home and work and read alot of stuff in advrider (and dream) :)
    Rotax655 likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Were you in neutral when trying to start? Mine did something like this when lost enough clutch oil. The clutch reservoir is pretty small and seal was leaking.. enough for clutch stop disengaging at stops
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I used to just turn the key and hit the starter on the side stand and it started. Not pull the clutch in or anything.

Now it seems to slow crank a little. Put the stand up, and it starts first go, easy as. A couple of times it's done nothing until I pull the clutch in, in neutral. It's possessed with the ghost of a KTM I reckon.
  7. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Snowy, hear are my thoughts. You said the bike is slow cranking. So it has the electrical.

Is battery fully charged, in peak condition (assuming yes, but worth a check)

I’d next check every cable in the charging system and the starting system. Double check earths and even clean then up a bit with some scotch-brite.
    If I was a betting man (I’m not) I would have a look at the regulator/rectifier. Already been some guys having issues with cooked connectors. (Reminds me to pop some diaelectic grease in mine).
    Then look at the starter relay. If it needs replacing, I believe a Yamaha one works well.

Just a process of elimination really.

On a side note, when I do any new electrical work on bike or past bikes, I have always ran what’s called a full passive earth system. In other words, I don’t rely on the frame for an earth.
    As an example, I did my spot lights the other day. Ran both positive and negative cables for the job. I used a spare bolt to located some earth connections, but in real terms the earth is not the frame. I am relying on the battery earth only. This system is used on a lot of race bikes. Reduces the chance of failure.

Sorry for the very long post guys. Woody.
  8. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only slow cranks if the side stand is down. Or in gear with clutch in. I think the reason for this is that it just doesn't even try to fire, so it sounds slower the longer it turns over.

Which is the WTF moment. Put the side stand up, or put it in neutral if you stall it in gear, and the crank speed is noticeably higher and it starts easy, it barely turns over before it fires. Nothing wrong with the battery or any connections I've found. I am an electrician, and I have closely examined it. If I have to strip it right down and put a multimeter over it I reckon it might just "vanish" as it's fully insured, parking it out the front overnight here will see that happen before midnight. In short, it only slow cranks while interlocks are involved. So it has to be an electronic problem at the centre of the issue.

Makes no sense at all. A friend suggested this was old school Italian bike "charisma" in a new electronic format. Perhaps even specially programmed in, just so the tragics feel the nostalgia. I don't think even the Italians are that cruel.

I'm on the verge of removing the safety interlocks altogether. I don't have them on other bikes. I don't see the issue. The son will get used to it. He's had old school bikes before.

Or it gets parked out the front. I was impressed with the little SWM up to this point. Pity. I had my eyes on the 500. Maybe I'll just hold off indefinitely. My old DR is looking better and better.
  9. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    bypass interlocks, one at a time. start with sidestand.
  10. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    What happens if you bypass the side stand switch? Eg: wire it so the bike thinks it’s up?
  11. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Just on that note, my neutral switch was a bit dodgy when I got the bike. After a bit of use it came good. Go figure!!
  12. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    MotoSly, Syanur and mrsdnf like this.
  13. Turps

Turps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good job staying open. But the guy needs to shave his beard and to stop touching his mask.
    MotoSly likes this.
  14. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    Syanur and Newton_McMarv like this.
  16. Newton_McMarv

Newton_McMarv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

nice to hear and see that video :-)
    For all who would like to contribute some of your unsed computer resources for corona you can check out this website:
    https://foldingathome.org/covid19/
    Those guys do a really great job and maybe help us to find out more about the virus, so that at some day we can thnik about using our bikes again to explore the world with less borders.

Cheers and stay or get healthy!
  17. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Grrrrrr one of the captive nuts on the airbox, the one on the top left above the snorkle is spinning. I can't undo the bolt.
    Any tips?
  18. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my old Husky TE630 I drilled it out then replaced it with another I believe a size bigger and heated it when I installed it so it melted into place, from then on I was gentle and used never seize didn't have any trouble the next few years I had it.
    AMGrrr likes this.
  19. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can get to the bolt inside the airbox try and remove the airbox completely then attack it from behind.
    AMGrrr and Rotax655 like this.
  20. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    Classic mistake by someone using a rattle gun on the poor little airbox
    Rotax655 likes this.