New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:
    mrsdnf Any reason why you didnt use the original can with the 2 into 1?
  2. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I dont have the two into one. The adaptor is to expensive for me.
  3. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a foolproof way to check chain tension on a SD-X? The method in the manual is crazy.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC reading article on single vs dual Arrow on TE-630, dual one was making more power.. mostly mid-range. Big thumpers hit hard personally I would worry about single can disintegrating I have had this happen on my XCo.
  5. CaptnineT

CaptnineT n00b

Oddometer:
    This has happened enough times to me that I now only attempt to start in neutral.
    Sorry can't help with the other scenarios.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reservoir on clutch is small and the seal on top can leak if screws are slightly loose; not to mention dry clutch sticking. As a result clutch will not disengage completely and engine won't spin fast enough to start.

Generally speaking starting big thumpers in gear is an easy way to burn the starter, especially if automatic decompressor is acting up. I will check the spring on mine when I get to check valves.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  7. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Mine was stalling all the time until I did a TPS reset and O2 delete. Now it runs beautifully and hasn't stalled since I did the mods.
    I read on the SWM Factory FaceBook page that even SWM are mentioning TPS resets now. Seems they have recognised there was an issue. Obviously for Euro4 emission reasons they won't entertain the idea of a O2 delete.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  8. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Hi Mudsoft.
    (Where are you in NSW?)

PipeWorx does the 2 into 1 up in QLD. Most of the guys doing this are using an aftermarket can. Maybe Barrett has something that will do the trick? I have Barrett cans and they are a heap lighter than stock, but the 2into1 sounds better again. :-)
    mrsdnf likes this.
  9. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:
    Just north of Coffs mate.
    Yes Barrett say they normally supply twin cans for SDs. I saw someone somewhere used a single Chinese can so got me wondering why not plug the 2 into 1 into the original can?
    AMGrrr likes this.
  10. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello to all!

Thought i would share this with you, while the windscreen is great for the wind on the upper body. It's horrible on my helmet....

So i decided to make a windscreen extender , instead of buying one.....

Here's the result!!!

I've cut up a tupperware tray, drilled 4 holes, used 4 spacers to get a "tunnel" between the original shield and the diy shield. Wrapped it in fake carbon fiber ( like i did to the windshield)... and here is the result.!

IMG_20200411_144236.jpg IMG_20200411_144255.jpg

Attached Files:

11. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike Sly. I found with my screen that a few spacers on the top mounts did the trick. It moved the airflow enough for it to be comfortable.
    I'm 6'2" (188cm)
    Hope it works for you.
    MotoSly and cyclopathic like this.
  12. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the two oem cans with arrow and now single with a good quality "chinese" can, and altough i didnt do a dyno run, no way the dual exhaust is more snapy (at least the dual oems ones).
    Also there is alot of weigth and up on the dual setup, i have 18k KM on mine RS650, some of them very hard offroad (i would say light Enduro) and i think the can will break after alot of other things on the bike :).

I say this alot, but 300mm forks, single can, lith battery and arrow map make this bike (and i think it will make the dual also) one of the best dualsport bikes out there (also rs650 was damn cheap)

Note - the 300mm forks made my rs650 better even on road, something in the bike geometry is better with them, dunno why :)
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock cans are very restrictive to compare you either need to run 2 vs 1 on OEMs or replacements. I have 2 china Akros waiting to be installed since November; unfortunately can't get to bike in this pandemic clisterphuck.

And yes both of stock exhausts, cast iron heat shield and battery weight a fortune. You can make bike significantly lighter if you replace cans, wrap pipes (and ditch shields) and put decent lithium battery.
  14. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:

Vsaltao is that single Chinese can very loud? Would a DB killer fit to it? Did you need to modify the can to mount it?
  15. MotoSly

MotoSly Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

So, i just had my first ride to work since the corona thingy.
    Hopped on the highway doing 130kph and i didn't feel any wind blowing at mt helmet, so i guess it works perfect!
    The extension also stays in place and isn't flapping or anything.

Hope the corona get's his ass kicked asap, so i can go do the TET france this summer!
    cyclopathic, mrsdnf and CapeG650X like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't see this happening unless we have vaccine or they test and find out that 60% of population got through this virus. Can't see restrictions lifted definitely not crazy Pols and Italy and Spain.. France too
    MotoSly likes this.
  17. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the off-road advantages of no ABS at front wheel?
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there is it must be on really steep downhill.

First gen ABS on BMW 1150GS could loose completely and bike would roll down with no brake. The ABS unit in SWM would not do it I had tested it on stock Tourances on steep muddy downhill in rain.. it was back in Ukraine.
    chilejack likes this.
  19. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a little loud and sometimes it spit some fire :) (i think its rich and some gas was not going out of it and ignited)
    The solution was to use also and "internal" db killer to force more flow (my pipe is also a little frankenstein made so maybe it was the cause) something like this https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sZgAAOSwTxhdDECY/s-l1600.jpg (this one appears to have a cataliser on it, mine is similar without that part...)
    Now its louder than the stocks but bearable (and i am a guy that doent like loud pipes)
  20. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost killed myself with my DL650 like that, bike opened the brakes on a sandy hill...