New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mudsoft

mudsoft n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the off-road advantages of no ABS at front wheel?
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there is it must be on really steep downhill.

First gen ABS on BMW 1150GS could loose completely and bike would roll down with no brake. The ABS unit in SWM would not do it I had tested it on stock Tourances on steep muddy downhill in rain.. it was back in Ukraine.
    chilejack likes this.
  3. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a little loud and sometimes it spit some fire :) (i think its rich and some gas was not going out of it and ignited)
    The solution was to use also and "internal" db killer to force more flow (my pipe is also a little frankenstein made so maybe it was the cause) something like this https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sZgAAOSwTxhdDECY/s-l1600.jpg (this one appears to have a cataliser on it, mine is similar without that part...)
    Now its louder than the stocks but bearable (and i am a guy that doent like loud pipes)
  4. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost killed myself with my DL650 like that, bike opened the brakes on a sandy hill...
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happen to me on descend to Urique, Copper Canyon, 6000'/9mi I was on DL650 too. Glad I had ABS disable switch wired and managed to flip it off.

As for Superdual there's no reason to turn ABS off unless it's really loose steep and rear tire is bold or you want to practice slide turns.
    vsaltao likes this.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Personally I like the fact that the ABS can be turned of the rear or both front and rear. If I'm on a really slippery surface I'll turn front and back off especially if there is any down hills involved.
    If its just dirt tracks rear only off works ok.
  7. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update on the idling issue.

I am an electrical engineering genius (reaches around to pat myself on the back).

Took the seat off the bike and noticed something not right. See below pic...

20200503_160505.jpg
    The earth wasn't reconnected!
    So I reconnected it and went for a ride. Bike idled fine at the lights. Problem solved!
    :thumb
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    That would be enough to make me cry.
    Syanur, AMGrrr and cyclopathic like this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is from ajp pr7 owner but it applies to us:
    mrsdnf likes this.
  10. vsaltao

vsaltao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn nice video, and good explanation why they are so hard to put in neutral :).
    I would like a better sixt gear for highway, right now at 15/45 i can ride at 110kph all day, but 120-130 would be nice ...
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too. I'd like a better 6th but without sacrificing 1st so not going to change the sprockets. Still dark at SWM about promoting it as a wide ratio when it's clearly a narrow ratio.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is stock Superdual ratios:
    1st = 2.615.
    2nd = 1.812.
    3rd = 1.350.
    4th = 1.091.
    5th = 0.957.
    6th = 0.880.

The spread btw 1st and 6th is 2.97. for comparison 5sp in 652cc Rotox thumper from F650gs is 3.27 and 10% wider:
    1st = 2.75.
    2nd = 1.75.
    3rd = 1.31.
    4th = 1.05.
    5th = 0.84

The TE630 had 3.4 range and it looks only 5th and 6th had higher ratio. I'm not interested in replacing whole transmission as he did and IMHO final drive is geared for economy the 1st and 6th gears are too high at least on SD-T. I am putting 14t front and hope exhaust/Arrow map will improve bottom end fueling enough to avoid driving into transmission.
    L_Bomb likes this.
  13. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    Yeah it is a shame about the false advertising of the gearbox ratios but in practice I find it doesn't really matter to me too much. If it did I'd probably change the front sprocket when needed and switch between 14/41 and 15/41 or something similar
  14. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cyclopathic, I find 1st too high and 6th low. 5th is redundant.

I find that it makes gearing it diffucult. As to go a smaller sprocket on the front would make 1st a little better for offroad but it makes 6th waaaay shorter which I also don't want. Also brings all the gears closer together so I'll be shifting like crazy in traffic.

1st to 4th are ok but it's really annoying that 5th and 6th are so close together. I could imagine the TE ratios would be perfect for cruising at 100kmh while having a low 1st for offroad. I do 14kmh idling in 1st and it's too fast. Espcially for steep slippery downhill.

Jeez I feel like a whingy kid. So I'll shut up now.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have X or T? T is geared 15/38 and you don't shift to 6th until 48mph (77kmh).. 1st is definitely high shift point 1st -> 2nd 17mph(27kmh) and for anything below 12mph(22.5kmh) you need to slip clutch. 14t will bring it down 7% which will be about 8% higher than my xcountry while being almost identical (1.7% diff) at the top. Top at present is high bike doesn't come alive until you hit 75-85mph (120-130kmh) downgearing will bring it down to 70-80mph (110-120kmh)

My impression of G650X that with 16/47 final it is geared about perfect for type of riding I do both at the bottom and top. Superdual will have higher 1st gear but 1mph (1-2kmh) should not be critical.. I am not taking loaded bike to squeeze handlebars between trees type of trail and hopefully exhaust and Arrow map will make fueling smoother below 2600 RPM.

Don't take me wrong if I had a choice I would get TE630 gearbox and something like 14/43 for final. Just hope that I don't have to go that far. From what guy in video is saying you pretty much front sprocket and all TE630 transmission parts only a couple gears reusable.
    chilejack likes this.
  16. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    to make some comparison I recommend this site used to change the final ratio of my TE630 from 15/42 to 15/45 currently.
    https://www.gearingcommander.com/
    the 15/45 configuration is the one used by the TE610 and in this way the motorcycle remains in motion and walks at 1500 rpm in 1 gear without turning off. all your considerations are right. Swm had to adopt the TE gearbox and not the SMotard gearbox. It is likely that in their mind they wanted to divide the categories between touring bikes (superdual) and off-road "racing" bikes such as the RS500.
    L_Bomb likes this.
  17. Moutonnoir

Moutonnoir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Tuesday I'll finally get my superdual X
    I would like to put this small luggage rack for short trips, and put the big original for long trips how can i find this item?
    thank you in advance
    superdual.jpg
    w72315 likes this.
  18. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic and Moutonnoir like this.
  19. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Je viens de voir ton post. Felicitation pour l'achat Bruno!!
    Moutonnoir likes this.
  20. Moutonnoir

Moutonnoir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello happy as a child to finally have my superdual X I really like riding on difficult roads and I would like to change the gearbox ratios my chain kit is in 15/40, I would like a sprocket of 14, how to find it? I don't see anywhere on sale thank you in advance