1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is where it is according to OsmAnd+. Check his other videos beautiful country I suspect it's very similar on Mongolian, Kazakh and Chinese sides.. well China is off limit as far as riding go. But this is where these 4 countries come together Screenshot_2020-06-25-17-39-49.jpg
    mrsdnf likes this.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, sorry for the lack of commenting on my side!

So i was almost at 2k on the new engine, dealer checked the valves and they were not even close to having an adjustement. If 0 is tight and 10 is loose, they wete a 9. So that's a good thing!

I also did oil change at 500km myself and filters etc. The washer/metal filter was full of little metal pieces. See picture. IMG_20200320_181508.jpg IMG_20200320_181508.jpg
    cyclopathic likes this.
  3. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what the captive nut in the airbox looks like

20200628_134846.jpg 20200628_134903.jpg 20200628_134930.jpg 20200628_134940.jpg
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    $132.00 for a new one. Can you get the nut back in and if so can it be glued?
  5. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :eek2They're not solid gold!

If I do get another one I'll glue it before jamming it back in. Some of the other captive nuts look like they'll start to turn soon because there are gaps. So I'll see if I can get a syringe to inject some superglue in the gaps.

The nut isn't great. There appears to be a cross in the threads

20200628_203924.jpg

Also the other side is totally munted by the chief engineer here :baldy The bolt doesn't go all the way through.

I'll go to A1 in Ringwood tomorrow to see about prices.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cross thread is probably what started the damage.
    Whats A1 like to deal with? Good service?
  7. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My experience with A1 is ok. Communication is a bit lacking sometimes but otherwise not too bad. I wouldn't mind giving Powerhouse in Pakenham a try but Ringwood is already 30 mins on the freeway!
    mrsdnf likes this.
  8. w72315

w72315 woody

Oddometer:
    Been a while since being on here, been out riding heaps. Love the SDX more and more. Freeway riding is a joy, dirt riding even better. Did about 2000kms on a recent trip and the bike was a real pleasure.

Thought I would share a few mods that have helped heaps. First, I'm 6'2" (188cm) and found the bars a tad low when standing up. Changed them to some "Fat Bars" and they are about 25mm higher. Massive difference in comfort. Now I can stand without getting a sore back.

Also, ditched the fork oil and popped some 5w Motorex oil and again made a huge huge difference. I have no idea what the original oil was, but it looked like thin honey. (And really stunk!!) Anyone having issues with adjustment of the forks should try this first.

I had a spare seat when I purchased the bike and have been playing with foam heights and shape. Once sorted it will be covered it in Alacantra. The reason for using this material is I had an '09 KTM 690 RR for a while and it had a seat using Alacantra. Super comfortable and lots of grip. Once finished I'll pop some pics up.

Lastly, been working on a sort of Rally tower for the front end. As much as I like the SWM screen and styling, I've found the lights a bit lacking and also the screen a bit close when on the dirt. I scored some fancy LED lights a while back, so lighting is sorted. Also what a better setup for my navigation. Again, pop pics up as I go.

See ya all on the road!!!
  9. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right. They don't sell the nut separately. $132 for a new back plastic bit.
  10. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a long time since I dealt with the airbox on my old TE630, which is the same. I think I replaced the nuts with something similar from the local hardware store. I believe I used small hose clamps and/or safety wire around the standoffs to keep the nuts from spinning and it worked like a charm for the remainder of time I owned it.
    AMGrrr and mrsdnf like this.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any pictures to post up of your mods?
    Did you run relays with your aux lights?
  12. daveongt

daveongt n00b

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-6-30_21-1-31.jpeg
    Search Oetiker clips Should be available from your local industrial hose supplier.
    There a few different versions, ie single and double crimp.
    They might be of use to clamp the nut inset back into the plastic housing and support the others before they spin and cause trouble.
    I will look at doing mine next time I have the air filter out.
  13. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hello,

I am thinking about the same thing for a rally fairing/tower.

If you want to brainstorm or anything, just dm me. Cause i am still not sure what i am going to do.. Like a full faring, or just an expansion on the existing dash.. Or start from scratch...

Greetz
  15. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, I've got a 43 tooth rear sprocket in the post and was wondering if anyone who had swapped out the sprocket had;
    1. Used locktite when reinstalling the sprocket bolts.
    2. Torqued to any specific tension.
    3. Managed to adjust the wheel position and maintain the existing chain.
    Cheers!
    mudsoft likes this.
  16. daveongt

daveongt n00b

Oddometer:
    I have put a 42 tooth sprocket on my SD X.
    Yes I used loctite and did them up "tight"
    The standard chain is really to short as the tyre nearly touches the plastic shock guard and is at the forward end of the axle slot. It is long enough for a test ride and I will replace it soon.
    The gearing is much nicer on the street, less need to slip the clutch on take off. I haven't been off road as yet but it can only be an improvement.
    Creechure likes this.
  17. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I'm excited to see what it does to the bike. But as a Melbourne resident I'm only really going to get full enjoyment out of the change on the local speed humps for the next little while.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be a few SD owners in or near Melbourne.
  19. AMGrrr

AMGrrr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah.
    Happy lockdown everyone
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back at ya. Took half a day of work yesterday for a quick ride to Bendigo to see the olds for the last time for how long?