New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Removed the charcoal canister and replaced the sprocket cover with one from a RS650. Sorry about the dirty bike. I'd just given it a quick hose after a muddy ride.
    Edit. I should have mentioned that the mounting holes do not have a steel sleeves in them to stop the plastic compressing. I guess it does not need them. I drilled the holes out anyway and added steel sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MotoSly and cyclopathic like this.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Looks much better, what is the "charcoal cannister" for actually?
  3. Fitz Fortune

Fitz Fortune Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It prevents evaporating fuel from being released into the atmosphere, if you'd like a more detailed explanation this is a good one.
    mrsdnf and MotoSly like this.
  4. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  5. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, you removed the Charcoal cannister entirly?
    Cause after reading about it ( on the link you gave me ) this stood out to me:

"
    ACTIVATED CHARCOAL CANISTER FAULTY: SYMPTOMS
    Fault symptoms in the event of failure:

• E.g. fault code P0441: Tank bleeder system throughput faulty
    • Engine does not run smoothly
    • Smell of gasoline due to escaping fuel vapors

Sometimes when the bike idles after start, and i hit the throttle the bike sometimes shuts off...
      Also when i am riding and going through a turn at slow speed with the clutch pulled, it dies too.... Or when i am comming at a stoplight and pull the clutch, the bike also dies.
      This happens sometimes, and what i notice is the smell of fuel when it het the start button again.

Could the Charcoal be the reason for this?

Sorry for the bad english.
  6. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant help MotoSly as I never had any of your problems.
    Does your airfilter smell of fuel?
  7. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem, but no it doesn't smell like fuel.
    I cleaned my airfilter 3 days ago so i would have noticed.

I told the SWM dealer about the issue's i am having, and they did a valvecheck (New engine as you may already know) . My previous engine had the same problem.

They did tell me to come to the dealership and they want to try and put the "arrow exhaust" mapping on.. maybe it will fix it.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    You prompted my memory with the valve comment. I did have an issue with occasional hard starting and it did stall a couple of times. This was due to tight exhaust valves.
    MotoSly and cyclopathic like this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the specs for valves? IIRC MOM says 0.15 for in/ex, which doesn't sound right to me.. normally exhaust in 0.25+ range.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The manual quotes 0.004'' to 0.006'' intake and exhaust. 0.006'' is .15mm.

Found this for the TE630.

Intake: 0.10-0.15mm, 0.004-0.006 in
    Exhaust: 0.15-0.20mm, 0.006-0.008 in
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was, also, gonna say that indicates the tight valve clearance a bit; fuel smell and difficult start is symptoms of it but also engine reduces rev to idle later/longer when you turn of the throttle(with tight clearance), does it happen to you?

What is my observation for Arrow map, is getting better (normal) of fueling. They say it works with (or designed for) arrow exhaust but it seems that standard exhaust&double muffler system allows engine to breath as good as single arrow muffler which makes me thing there is no hazard to install "arrow map" with stock design. I would definitely go with it (with no exhaust change especially).
    MotoSly likes this.
  12. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thnx for the reply.

the valves or not tight at all, had a valve check 500km back.
    And the valves were good.

Will make an appointement for the Arrow map after Belgium TET comming this weekend :)
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    SD Arrow is double can.

What Arrow map does it riches mixture in transition when system is in open loop. I have used similar boosters (Sol2, Booster plug) on bummer and it made bike alot smoother at expense maybe 2-3% worse economy.

What Sol2/Booster plug do they make ECU think that ambient temperature is 20C cooler thus increase fuel by 6%. This is until oxygen/lambda sensor picks up and corrects it. It works like pumper carb same idea as replacing temperature sensor with resistor except works over wider range. Luckily we don't have to use external controller as MFG provides ECU flush.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. rusty74

rusty74 n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200714_170254.jpg
    Shite pic, but picked up my "new to me" SD X today. Only managed to get through about 30 pages of this thread so far it seems recommended to check subframe bolts and oil mesh screen/filter, anything else I should look out for?
  15. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

I like the picture thou, and yes the subframe bolts should be replaced with bigger/better ones.
    Also the screenfilter is one to keep an eye out for! i don't know how many km/miles your Swm has now, but if it's second hand, i would do oil change and clean the screenfilter.

Next to those 2 "things" the bike is great! i have about 15000km on min atm, and love it!

have fun with it and be safe!
    cyclopathic and rusty74 like this.
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club rusty74. If thats a crappy picture feel free to post some good ones up. Mines been stuck on 20,000 since Feb and like most others love it. Couple of little issues but reading other threads on bikes not as many as most.
    rusty74 likes this.
  17. rusty74

rusty74 n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers, is it true they need a new timing chain at 20 K... mines only just coming up for it's 5 K service so I'll have to check a few things before heading off on a big trip
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've not heard of any cam chains being replaced. I think it's been fixed from the husky days.
    rusty74 likes this.
  19. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The timing or cam chain issue was more on the SOHC 610 not the DOHC 630 motor.....
  20. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That feeling when you've just finished a job, and look down a realise there something you forgot.

I changed the chain and sprocket on the SDX this morning after a false start (FYI the stock chain does not fix +3 teeth at the rear) and after i had put the front sprocket cover back on the bike i look down and saw this (item 12). Turns out this has to go in before the chain is installed, so I've got to take the chain off again to put it in place. whoops

forgotten screw.PNG