New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes; the issue was with type of chain tension adjuster used on 610 but they (factory guys/gals) operate on assumption once it goes in MOM never goes out. I have asked them they wrote back "you don't have to replace just inspect" which I translated to "we don't know how long it will go but don't want any warranty claim responsibility".
    rusty74, mrsdnf and MotoSly like this.
  2. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:

WAIT!!!! you can just put it back on there without chain or sprocket removal!
    Just wiggle it and you will be fine, that's how i do it!
    Creechure and mrsdnf like this.
  3. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    do you know that the exact same thing is written in the workshop manual of the rotax655 engine of the Aprilia Pegaso 650? check and "eventually" replace. without any reference to measurements, the distribution chain of my pegaso 650 traveled 175,000 km without ever giving problems.
    In Italiano si dice: "non ti fasciare la testa prima di cadere"
    Manray and mrsdnf like this.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Thats a lot of Km's. Must have a good seat. :-)
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes me wonder what does it say about f#ck!ng waterpump seals; I have that engine in BMW X-Country.

I absolutely loved Italy but if you come there with American (or German) mindset you have some adjustment to do. "Do not bandage your head before falling".
  6. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    sorry for the off topic but the Xcountry does not have the same engine as the pegasus. the designers are different. bmw / rotax for xcountry and aprilia / rotax for the "655". the designer of the rotax655 and Mariano Roman and his working staff in Aprilia
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    25 years IMG_20191225_155923.jpg
    Lupin 3rd, Chillis, mrsdnf and 3 others like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waterpump is still the same suspended on 2 seals.. or is it different?
  9. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    cyclopatic the rotax 654 (bmwrotax) as the rotax 655 (apriliarotax) are similar but not the same. they are both excellent engines made to travel many many many km.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    4 and 5 stand for valve number. Displacement is 652cc

It appears the waterpump is the same.. here's some info
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?337835-Head-Gasket-or-Water-Pump

As for excellent for travel I don't really like buzzing at highway speeds if I have to slim down to one bike Superdual will stay and XCo go. Yes it is heavier but more suspension, easier to work on and engine is so much smoother; smoother than Suzuki vtwin I had before.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, Can anyone give me some troubleshooting for my rear brake pedal not activating the brake light. Noticed it this evening in the dark - front brake is still working.

Edit - found the issue. The contact on the top of the rear brake cylinder has snapped off :hmmmmm
    cyclopathic and AMGrrr like this.
  12. Davo89

Davo89 Livin' the dream!

Oddometer:
    G'day all. Went to change the subframe bolts on my 2019 SD-T for high tensile ones only to find that the one on the left side had already sheared! I'm about 1-2 hours from a dealer, safe to ride or need to trailer it?? I've replaced the right hand side subframe bolt with the high tensile bolt. Thanks heaps.
  13. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was driving mine around for a while with cooked bolts (I believe). Only really became an issue when I was agro off road. Rode back from Bacchus Marsh to Melbourne with the subframe sitting on the spring.
  14. Davo89

Davo89 Livin' the dream!

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks for the help. Hope your coping as best as possible with the tighter restrictions now down your way. Cheers.
  15. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries, always better safe that sorry, but if you have no other means should be ok.

Anyone had issues previously with the rear brake dragging? Ive got a situation right now that if compressed a couple times the rear caliper will stick on, however it slackens if left alone for a little while. Any advice would be appreciated.
  16. Syanur

Syanur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Disassemble the rear brake caliper, clean the pistons and grease them lightly while placing back. IDK how to refill the brake fluid if its an ABS system.

Another easy way, try some brake cleaner sprays first, maybe it will help.
    MotoSly likes this.
  17. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    Silicone grease for the calipers
    Syanur and Rotax655 like this.
  18. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, does anyone have the comfort seat? And if so, is it worth the money?

And what is the difference? Wider seat??
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I'd suggest the seat is a personal preference thing. I bought my bike with a comfort seat and have modified it to making it better for me.
    MotoSly likes this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    All US bikes both T and X came with comfort seat. Sorry don't have a point of reference to compare with what you guys have. Factory guys said it was lower than previous T and higher than old X.

Preferences very individual I ended up buying a stapler and sand paper in Bulgaria and shaving it around edges to make it narrower to increase standover and remove hot spots. With airmesh cover it was comfortable enough for 10h+ days which I had quite a few.
    mrsdnf and MotoSly like this.