1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to de-restrict it? 54hp is enough at least until you get to 95mph (150kmh) in my humble opinion.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    The standard oil is supposed to be 5w Motul. I dont recall exactly what they measured the oil at but it was higher than 5w. Maybe due to age of the oil it thickened up slightly I dont know.
    I have mentioned previously that I dont believe my forks are using the full travel. I mention this to the suspension guys and they suggested that they may have put to much oil in them.
    I'm not a suspension expert by any means but the way the forks are now I have the rebound and compression about midway where as standard I had the compression backed all the way out.
    I have no idea if the SKF seals have less friction. I do know they have now done 12500 km where the standard ones were replaced at 7500 km.
  4. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to compare bikes Creechure. Restricted against de restricted.
    If you are caught doing 25 kph over the listed speed here in Victoria cyclopathic its instant loss of licence.
    Its rammed down our throats that speed kills.
  5. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The restriction can be removed, it's a combination of a manual throttle bottle stop and ECU map. But that would make insurance void obviously, and I'd have to get the VIN / engine number restamped to sell it on as a full power bike when the time comes.

A dyno test would be really insteresting to see where that extra power is going. Sometimes it feels like I've got a bike torque dip when i really wind it on. However a very reliable source has told me that the restricted 35kw (47hp) engine can propel the bike up to at least 140km/h - with more to give.

12500km sounds like a dream, I've gone through about 5 in just under 10000km.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil usually loses viscosity with age.. if it were too thick perhaps someone used too much assembly lube? MOM calls for 5W Motul so perhaps it wasn't filled at the factory with right oil? From wear particles? It is quite possible they put too much oil.

The URL you gave is SKF green low friction seals so if that's what they put in you have low friction seals.

IIRC my forks were set to 7 clicks on compression and 10 on rebound which is similar to what you have -1 compression +2 on rebound from center.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  7. Bonus.Shaker

Bonus.Shaker n00b

Oddometer:
    Are owners changing the timing chain and gears at every 20,000km? Is this for race conditions only?
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've not heard of anyone replacing cam chains.
    Bonus.Shaker likes this.
  9. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was more of a concern for the TE610 SOHC motor, TE630 DOHC has a different timing chain and tensioner set up and it is not an issue.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 to my knowledge noone wore out timing chain on TE-630 the reference in manual is from TE-610 era. On 610 tensioner was culprit fix was to get a manual tensioner or retrofit one from DR.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  11. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Due again to the lockdown here I pulled the rear wheel out to check the bearing in the sprocket carrier. Surprisingly it was notchy when the inner was rotated. Pulled the seal and circlip out and gave the bearing a couple of whacks with the hammer. The bearing held firm.
    I dragged the hyd press out and with a bit of effort pressed the bearing out. Strangely the bearing had lost its notchy feeling and felt almost like new.
    Measuring the outside diameter of the bearing and its housing it was noted that there was a 0.002'' interference fit.
    I believe that this is to tight causing the issue with the bearing.
    While its apart I'll source a new bearing and seal. I'll reduce the interference fit half a thou and see how that feels.

Again with little to do I rechecked the valve clearances. Its 5000 Km since I did them last, the bike now has just over 20.000 Km on it. Both intakes were on the minimum clearance and the exhausts were again slightly tight. I have reset these to the TE630 clearances which are intake, 4 to 6 thou and exhaust, 6 to 8 thou.
    The exhausts are now on about 7.5 thou and intakes 6 thou.
    SWM tolerances are 4 to 6 thou on intake and exhaust.
  12. Rotax655

Rotax655 Aprilia World Meeting

Oddometer:
    can you tell me which adjustment kit you used to adjust the intake and exhaust valves? where did you find the calibrated tablets ?. thank you
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Hot cams 9.48mm shim kit. The Husky TE630 specs came from the TE630 Workshop manual. The SD specs came from the SD owners manual.

I found to remove the cam cover it was easiest if the coolant was drained, the radiator hoses pulled through to the right hand side and the fan removed. This gave plenty of room to work and peer into the cam shaft area.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UKHCM4/
    mrsdnf and Rotax655 like this.
  15. Rotax655

Oddometer:
  16. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotax655 likes this.
  17. Rotax655

Oddometer:
    mrsdnf likes this.
  18. bigbobby

bigbobby n00b

Oddometer:
    Evening all, I bought a SDX E4 a few weeks ago and have started adding bits like barkbusters, fold down mirrors etc. The latest bits are 2" Rox risers. Has anyone had an issue with the front brake line being a bit too tight on full right lock?
    MotoSly likes this.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi and welcome bigbobby. Where is the brake line to tight?
  20. bigbobby

bigbobby n00b

Oddometer:
    I fitted the risers and both the clutch line and the brake line were tight. Brake line on full right lock. The clutch line was stressed for most of the range. Adding a longer line doesn't take much. Just need the fitting types and sizes.
    cyclopathic likes this.