1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

New Thumper: SWM Superdual 650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tangerine, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Sorry, I cant help with that.
  2. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone help out with the best Barkbuster part numbers/kit for the SDX? Is the "Storm" for the SM650R the closest thing? Or is there a Husky kit that's the best option? I could get the bits underway while there's not much else to do.
    (I'm assuming the lockdown will end and that they'll lift the medical suspension on my license... some day...)
  3. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    DavAmb and Suncoaster like this.
  4. DavAmb

DavAmb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks maaaaate!
    mrsdnf likes this.
  5. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    My clutch hose ripped out of the master cylinder in a low speed tumble with Rox risers. I took the broken hose and fitting to a brake shop and they knocked up a new one 100mm longer than stock
    cyclopathic and mrsdnf like this.
  6. bigbobby

bigbobby n00b

Oddometer:
    I was going to go for 75mm but 100mm would free it up nicely.
  7. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, but the clutch cable does.
    So you have to reroute it or put a longer one on.
  8. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suncoaster likes this.
  9. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. New 2020 SD-T owner here. Traded in my 2017 Africa Twin DCT for it. The Superdual is much better for the kind of riding I like to do, and I needed something lighter for sure. I had previously ridden a Husky TR650 that I *really* liked and the SD was a perfect fit for me.

My first question is about installing a power socket. I pulled off the panel under the windscreen, where the manual refers to a 12-volt power supply connector. The manual just says "Connect the device using the relevant connector." So what's the "relevant connector"?

The wiring diagram shows two wires to an "additional power supply", but the connector that's really there has 6 wires. Here's a pic:
    SWM connector.jpg

It looks almost, but not exactly, like an AMP 070 Econoseal-J Mark II Series Sealed Connector, if that helps. Thanks for any pointers.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotax655, WolfNman and Suncoaster like this.
  11. CapeG650X

CapeG650X Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just run mine off the battery with an inline fuse. I use usb sockets with a switch, most are backlit so need to be able to switch off when not in use.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a regular connector behind I have posted location and link to Amazon where to buy them.. around July 2019. The connector in picture is OBDI for programming if I am not mistaken.
  13. MM2020

MM2020 n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought my SDX last December and have been following this thread for a while. Enough with the lurking, I guess.

MyRedStrom, you have to dig a little deeper to find the right connector:
    connector 2.jpg connector.jpg

I ended up snipping it off and replacing it with a 2-Pin SAE quick connector.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotax655 and mrsdnf like this.
  15. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found it! Thanks Cyclopathic and MM2020. It was buried on the left side. Proceeding to order the connector for 12-volt outlet now.

Edit: Actually, this looks like a better match (two pins instead of one): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08579V5ZJ
    MM2020 and Rotax655 like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ones I referred are the ones on my bike and they fit 100% this is from my amazon order history. I made a 4-way spider with heated grips, phone charger, electric gear and cigarette lighter connected to it individually.. used 5 sockets in total but it lets me disconnected each individually if something goes wrong, no soldering while traveling.
    MM2020 and mrsdnf like this.
  17. MyRedStrom

MyRedStrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool - I'm going to steal that idea!

Sorry I haven't read back through the whole thread yet - did you beef up your stator or do anything to support the increased power load?
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No just LED everything (except for turn signals) to get more headroom. Heated grips (link below) come with voltmeter in full winter mode I have to kill some load when I come in town to avoid discharging battery.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ/

You would probably want to replace 5A fuse too.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Removed the air filter housing to see where the wiring ran for the voltage regulator. I'll post pictures up later of the wiring, needless to say it could have been run in a more appropriate place.
    I noticed the rubber air outlet of the airbox to the throttle body had a much reduced diameter to it compared to the throttle body intake side. I could not find a picture of the husky to compare it with. Looks like it could be to reduce air intake noise for emissions. Not sure I'm game to enlarge the rubber boot outlet to match the throttle body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Syanur and Rotax655 like this.
  20. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got an upgraded regulator coming along with a Lithium battery. I will also upgrade the earth wiring while I'm at it.

The wiring to the standard regulator runs across the lower airbox mount bracket so is sandwiched between the bracket and airbox. I'm not sure this will cause any long term damage as there is no movement there but just doesn't look good. It can be re routed behind the bracket where there would be no chance of it being damaged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Theres no damage to the loom in the above picture. Its just very squashed and dirty from oil out of the airbox.
    Rotax655 and Suncoaster like this.